Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo.

wezzywest

I also put a firestripe guard on mine.

Lars

image_zps78a64a5a.jpg

DSC_0184_zpse2d817d8.jpg

That is beautiful!

Thanks for the pictures-that's right about how I'd like mine to look. My firestripe is a bit different, but suits it too, I think

Which version is your guitar?

Simply beautiful-thanks!

Nick, I got the guard here.

http://www.firestripepickguards.com

These guards are really beautiful. I have one on my AJ also. However I use a little trick on mine to make them look better on a sunburst top. Just, like the originals, these guards are semi-transparent. So when you put them on a sunburst top, they will look really dark. In the old days, Gibson put the guards on top of bare wood and sprayed the guitars with the guards on. To mimic this look, I paint the back of my guards with acrylic paint. It is done very crudely, and I start with a tan color and then gradually blend in darker colors (more red for the SJ and more brown for the AJ), until it matches the color of the darkest part of the burst. After the paint, I put on the adheisive sheet. It is a lot easier than it sounds and quite a fun process.

If you klick the photo tab on the page linked above, you will see how different these guards will look depending on the color of what is underneath. On a sunburst top, to acheive a vintage firestripe look with a gradual transition from fiery colors to almost black, you have to paint the back of the guard.

The guitar above is the Sheryl Crow SJ, without the pickup (and interior label).

Lars

Here is the real thing.

DSC_0188_zpsbfa92f8b.jpg

and here is the AJ.

DSC_0185_zpsceb93d06.jpg

Lars- how do you get adhesive on the guard after you've painted it? Don't most guards come with that adhesive sheet already on the guard? I don't know that I'd ever do this - but it might be a fun project for my J-45 TV that has the guard over the rosette. I dunno.

Lars- how do you get adhesive on the guard after you've painted it? Don't most guards come with that adhesive sheet already on the guard? I don't know that I'd ever do this - but it might be a fun project for my J-45 TV that has the guard over the rosette. I dunno.

I asked for the guard to be sent with the adheisive sheet not attached. It is no problem putting the sheet on top of the paint and then cutting off the excess with a pair of scissors.

If you have a guard with the sheet already in place, you would have to clean it off and then get a new sheet.

Go for it! It is a lot of fun, and you can easily control the color scheme to match your particular sunburst. There is very little skilled involved as far as the painting. You just have to take your time and mix your colors until you are satisfied.

Lars

Arrived today!

Label inside says Model 1 Sheryl Crow SJ

Sounds amazing!

I got the firestripe pick guard (Tor-tis) from LMI, and will get my luthier to replace it.

Like I said, no electronics, so I will research your suggestions.

Thanks guys-wouldn't have explored this one without your posts here

Proof needed. Enjoy!

Proof needed. Enjoy!

IMG_1182-L.jpg

IMG_1169-L.jpg

There she is!

That pick guard has the paper on the back, so is not a 100% representation of the color on the guitar, but I think it will look great!

Anyone know if this model comes standard with bone pins?

Chris

Looks good. Are you going to paint the pickguard as Lars does? I am curious to try his method put don't want to take mine off just to put it back on.

As dd says plastic pins. If in doubt pull a pin out and sandpaper the hidden end. Smell like you are at the dentist? Yes = bone, no = plastic.

Cheers, play in good health!

• 1 month later...

The pins are almost surely plastic.

I have a 2012 model that I'm actually thinking about selling. I mostly play my Martin. But the SCSJ is a fantastic guitar, and really pretty to look at. I'm almost sure mine has bone pins -- I'll have to investigate.

Adirondack

post-52654-077507700 1453744223_thumb.jpg top hasn't even opened up yet -- pristine condition.

Let me know if you're interested.

----------------

1939 Gibson Jumbo 55

2012 Gibson SC Southern Jumbo

1988 Martin HD-28

1979 Guild D-25

2014 Epiphone Masterbilt Rosewood

2015 Gretsch Bobtail Resonator

Archived