Gibson Brands Forums

Should we all just quit now?

surfpup

Naw....I aint quiting yet. I never thought I would amount to much....therefore, I ain't dissapointed...thumbs -up!

Right there with ya! There are those who are a bit more gifted than most of us, but it doesn't mean we enjoy it any less.

KIDS!! [scared][biggrin] LOL If I was discouraged, after seeing every person, young or old, that could

"shred" me, with their playing, I would have stopped a LONG time ago! Might not have ever started,

in fact??? But, as mediocre (at best) as I am, I still LOVE it!

And, as good and "natural" as a lot of kids are, these days, they have a plethora of learning tools

and visual aides we didn't even dream of, when I was first learning. Sure, I can now utilize those

same tools, but these old fingers, and this old "brain" (or, what's left of it), just doesn't work

as well, or retain things, like the young "sponges" do. Not complaining, just a fact! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

KIDS!! [scared][biggrin] LOL If I was discouraged, after seeing every person, young or old, that could

"shred" me, with their playing, I would have stopped a LONG time ago! Might not have ever started,

in fact??? But, as mediocre (at best) as I am, I still LOVE it!

And, as good and "natural" as a lot of kids are, these days, they have a plethora of learning tools

and visual aides we didn't even dream of, when I was first learning. Sure, I can now utilize those

same tools, but these old fingers, and this old "brain" (or, what's left of it), just doesn't work

as well, or retain things, like the young "sponges" do. Not complaining, just a fact! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Pretty much what I meant, although better said...Thx CB

Is it me or does he seem to have all the feeling of a doorknob when he plays?? Granted he knows all the licks, but no feeling that I can see at all in the first video. The second one is a little better.

Unable to view the first video. It appears to be blocked in Germany.

Is it me or does he seem to have all the feeling of a doorknob when he plays?? Granted he knows all the licks, but no feeling that I can see at all in the first video. The second one is a little better.

No, it's not just you. I see that, a LOT, with young players/"shredders." They seem to concentrate

on the licks, runs, and SPEED," and either don't understand (or care?) that there should be as much

(or more) in the "Feeling," as the technique. IMHO, as always, of course.

CB

I think he sounds great - he's always going to be better than me - he will get 'feeling' from his life experiences.....

But er...the upward arc of a prodigy slows to a stop at some point in maturity....

Another exceptionally gifted young player.

Definitely not just you. The first video was rather boring to watch. Sure, he's got more ability in his picking hand than I do in both of mine, but if I wanted to watch a video of someone playing fast he'd be at the bottom of a very, very long list. I will however agree that he is much better in his second video.

No, it's not just you. I see that, a LOT, with young players/"shredders." They seem to concentrate

on the licks, runs, and SPEED," and either don't understand (or care?) that there should be as much

(or more) in the "Feeling," as the technique. IMHO, as always, of course.

CB

In the world of YouTube the younger shredders are a dime a dozen. And to be honest he's not even that fast (based upon these 2 videos, of course, and that's not to say I wouldn't give just about anything to be able to play even half as good as he does). I certainly wouldn't say that all young shredders don't care about "feeling", but it certainly comes across that way in their music.

Naw....I aint quiting yet. I never thought I would amount to much....therefore, I ain't dissapointed...thumbs -up!

LMAO [lol]

I like this guy. I'd have a beer with him [thumbup]=D>

Ya man! That is funny.

I agree.

If I let the fact that there are a million other players

who can play circles around me get the best of me then whats the point?

I'm just in to have some fun.

and visual aides we didn't even dream of, when I was first learning.

CB

This is very true. I got by on books, watching vhs videos and what my mates knew! YouTube is essentially a free guitar teacher

Archived