Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird PRO?

SkyRider

Hi,

Went to local guitar center and ran the rack in the high end room. When I arrived at Gibson section, grabbed the J-45 and was disappointed as usual. Grabbed Hummingbird PRO and instantly fell in love with it. Has that perfect dry hog tone with good balance of low to high. It looked just like a dread but felt soo comfortable. I assume it was slightly smaller dread.

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts? Why aren't these more talked about?

If you owned one, why did you sell?

Is Guitar Center only the place you can purchase one of these?

Cheers!

I had one. Quality guitar and nice looking. I did not care for the long scale and narrow nut so I sold it. Resale value does not hold up as well as non GC exclusive models. Make them put fresh strings on the J45 and give it another try

Good Luck!

I had one. Quality guitar and nice looking. I did not care for the long scale and narrow nut so I sold it. Resale value does not hold up as well as non GC exclusive models. Make them put fresh strings on the J45 and give it another try

Good Luck!

The long scale and the narrow nut were two of the things that drew me to the Pro in the first place.

Swapped those Rotomatics for tulips and that was that.

Mine has just had its second birthday and I still love it .

And yes, you can buy them from other dealers. The 2016 version is now available in the UK.

I guess people don't look much toward the pro unless they do not have the budget for higher models like J-45 or Hummy standard, and that's why it is not talken much.

I have also seen some people disappointed at the pro ; a few others love it.

In this french topic here : http://www.guitariste.com/forums/guitare,un-avis-sur-la-gibson-hummingbird-pro,457810,10.html

One guy had bad experience with it and returned it after 7 days.

Another guy loves his and has been using it for years for gigs and studio (and before buying it, owned a lot of different brands or models like j200, martins, taylors etc). He tried it in a guitar center "by accident" (he was not looking for this model at start but Martins, he found this Pro fabulous and left the shop with it).

Another guy had it for 2 years but never liked it...

Anyway, what people think on forums does not matter much cause it all depends on the guitar they tried and tastes (same way you did not like the j45 but most people on Gib forums love it).

In these videos to my ears it seems that it lacks the richness of the sound i find on standards hummingbird (sounds more flat), it may be this particular model. Maybe the one you tried is better.

Pro :

Standard :

I guess it is always same : try and get what you think is best for you.

Have you ever tried a short scale version of it? It came with 1 3/4" nut (1.725" to be exact). I have one and it's hard to put it down. Sounds very similar to the original Hummingbird when you put non-coated strings on it.I preferred this "little bird" than the "big bird" due to size and scale length (24.75").

20150124_161528.jpg

photos upload

20150124_161613.jpg

image hoster

P.S. This model has been discontinued for quite sometime. Mine is 2008 and I think 2010 is the last year of it.It call Hummingbird Artist.It show up in GC used section and Ebay from times to time. Price is around $1,400-$1,700 depend on condition. Got mine for $1,500 free shipping from Ebay.The lowest price I have ever seen was $1,200 without case so don't pay no more than $1,700 for top like new condition.

I bought one a couple months ago and love it. Actually traded my Hummingbird for it. It's a different animal than the regular Hummingbird -- mine has way more low-mid thump to it, rivaling a Martin dread. And I love the thick neck on it.

Archived