Gibson Brands Forums

Help locating an AJ LC, and has anyone played one?

Deadgrateful

Ok, so I know I've only just taken delivery of my lovely J200 VOS, but I'd always planned on getting a round shoulder as well (sold some work a little while ago and promised myself 2 new gibbos). Either an AJ or J45 of some sort is what I'm after, and I've recently had the chance to play a quite wonderful AJ luthiers choice (pictured below), with a Brazilian back and sides. Unfortunately the price wasn't quite as wonderful (9.5k sterling). I'm just as happy with Madagascan or Indian rosewood, if it's to be an AJ, and hog if it's a J45.

Has anyone seen any of these luthiers choice AJ's floating around or had a chance to play one? Also, did they ever do a Luthiers Choice J45?

Finally, should I not find one, I'm prob going to go for a J45, either true vintage (or VOS) or the legends model, as there is a great deal on a new one here in the UK. Does the super wide neck on the Legends model make it harder to play? Questions questions lol.

ajb_0008_small_medium_2.jpg

ajb_0008_small_medium_7.jpg

ajb_0008_small_medium_8.jpg

I played a luthier's choice J45 about four years ago and it was a wonderful guitar. As I understand it, the LC models are plucked off the line by senior builders and designated luthier's choice for exceptional build quality, tone and woods.

I have not see an LC AJ myself, though I can confirm that a standard rosewood AJ is a great guitar - I play mine a lot.

Just curious, what year is the LC AJ? I haven't played a LC AJ, but I can imagine it sounds great.

I have a Legend J45. The neck is large and if you're not used to playing a large necked guitar, it will take some getting used to. I happened to learn to play guitar on a guitar that had a similar sized neck, so I didn't have much of a problem with it.

I have a 2008 AJ Luthier's Choice in Madagascar/Adirondack--it is truly a guitar I can't put down. I've had it about six months now and it really opening up. It was really tight to begin with. I also find it is very finicky about strings for some reason. I have finally settled on DR Sunbeam mediums. My go to strings of many years--D'Addario PB Bluegrass just don't cut it on the AJ.

Yea, the one I played (brazilian) sung like something else. I've found quite a few for sale from some really great dealers in the US, but unfortunately none in the UK. Still I'm not looking to buy it until April, so that gives me some breathing space. If anyone happens to come across one. give us a shout :-)

Looking at the J45 Legend, seems odd that they are all been sold WAY under rrp... Perhaps not that great a seller?

Oh, and on another note, played a J200 Western Classic with Brazilian back and sides. Was probably the nicest sound I've ever heard a piece of wood produce. Pic below

DSC_0001_web_small_medium_7.jpg

DSC_0001_web_small_medium_2.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "rrp"? I'm guessing you're referring to the manufacturer's retail price? If so, no one ever pays the list price for a guitar. You can usually buy for 30-40% below the list price. However, if you're referring to the minimum advertised price that many Internet dealers advertise them for, it could be that there are still some new prototypes out there still for sale. Those sold for less when they were first introduced. I would have thought those would have all been bought by now, though.

I think the main problem with the Legend is the price. Although it's a great guitar and worth the price, the price is sometimes prohibitive.

Mike, rrp = recommended retail price (it's a uk thing). I'm aware that guitars are never sold at the manufacturers suggested price and are always discounted, but I was wondering why it is that the legend is discounted at a much higher ratio.

For example, here in the UK (where there are very few available) one can be picked up for £2800, which is less than a TV J200. I guess, as you said, it's to do with supply and demand, and the fact that people are hesitant to pay over the odds for a new build J45 (even if it has been built to exact historical standards).

Anyway, I think it's a beauty of a guitar, as is the AJ LC, and if I didn't have bills to pay and film to buy, money would most definitely have already changed hands for the legend!

Or the Legend is over rated!? Only MHO of course but I owned one and gave the Legend back and saved my self a grand!

I still think the best buy out there is a Special ed. J 45 TV ! Adi tops ! Hyde glue and no baseball bat neck.

I just love this guitar!

suburude

I would think the ones selling at a reduced cost are probably prototypes. If they were actually selling for less than a TV, that would mean they are selling for A LOT under the dealer cost, which probably isn't happening. Also, there's nothing wrong with the prototypes, only that they were less expensive to begin with.

Selling for less than a TV J200 not TV J45 though. And it's most definitely not a prototype (very reputable dealer).

On a side note, if anyone in the UK is thinking of dealing with GAK in brighton, I'd have second thoughts. The guy in the acoustic department was a real *** when I asked for help today. It seems he's all joy and giggles if your about to spend some serious green, but cold and unhelpful if your just looking for some friendly advice.

Selling for less than a TV J200 not TV J45 though. And it's most definitely not a prototype (very reputable dealer).

That would still be a very good price (close to dealer cost). I'm not suggesting that the dealer isn't reputable, if it is a prototype. Like I said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the prototypes, if that's what it is. They just sold for less money when they were first introduced. If you can pick a Legend up for that price, you might want to jump on it.

Thanks for the advice' date=' so, is there any easy way to tell if it is in fact a proto?[/quote']

Not really. The prototypes did not come with a "red line" case or certificate of authenticity, so that may be one way. Also, a few of the prototypes had a problem with the pickguard lifting on the edges.

Also' date=' a few of the prototypes had a problem with the pickguard lifting on the edges.[/quote']

Deadgrateful,

As Mike knows, but maybe you don't, the only difference between the "prototypes" of the initial production run and subsequent runs was that the pickguard was under the finish (like the originals) rather than on top, but was secured with a modern pickguard adhesive rather than the solvent used on the originals (for the usual reason -- to avoid top cracks caused by the pickguard shrinking, you want the pickguard adhesive to release under significant shear stress).

Anyway, the pickguard being under the finish is the defining property of the "prototypes". It's possible that there are late "prototypes" out there in red line cases -- they were supposed to come in red line cases, but the cases didn't show up soon enough -- and also that there are non-prototypes out there in non-red line cases. (This is Gibson! I have a couple that were supposed to come in "special" cases, but didn't. I suspect that they were out of the "special" cases the day the guitar was finished and shipped it in whatever case they had that fit.)

The serial number is a good indicator too. If it's 0xxx6xxx (i.e., an '06), then the guitar's a "prototype". I think there were a few more built in early '07, but any later than that -- 01007xxx or later, as a rough guess -- it's a non-prototype. So, if you care, ask about the serial number, and then, if needed, about the pickguard. Finally, ask about the case and cert for confirmation.

-- Bob R

Archived