Gibson Brands Forums

J45 LEGEND

wezzywest

I have a Legend that dates to December 2006. I sold a Custom Shop Southern Jumbo and a D18-A to acquire this instrument, it was that good. The one I acquired had the original pick guard underneath the nitro finish. The PG started to affect the finish - to such an extent that the pG and finish ws removed from the top, and the whole top was sanded, finish and PG reapplied. The result is a guitar that pplyas and sound great. Initially the guitar was a bit subdued - the laquer had to take some time to cure. Tony P did an Acoustic Letter review with this exact guitar, to tiled "Is It Legendary?" Now that the laquer has hardened, it really has very good volume, and a great rich woody tone. The guitar has the largest next I have ever encountered - larger than the 1937 D-18-A. I have relatively small hands (my shoe size is 9) and I can still do an F-chord thumb wrap on this guitar. I love it - really a favorite. A friend of mine borrowed this guitar to do some recording sessions - its that good.

The only down-side I have on 6his guitar is that its bridge plate is to narrow to accommodate installation of the Trance Audio pick-up that I like, so its still a virgin in the plugged in category.

A couple of years ago at the Gibson Homecoming I let Ren Ferguson play this guitar i9n the evening song circle. He did not want to give it back. So yeah, its pretty good.

imagejpg1_zps8bc6092c.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdec0f125.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Duluthdan, thanks for taking the time to review and post pictures of the guitar. Really is appreciated. I am looking for a Gibson Jumbo, with at the moment the Sheryl Crow in my sights. There is a Legend come up for sale in the UK, and along with a few other Gibsons , I am trying to get some information. The large neck is probably my only concern with the Legend. I did own a L 00 Legend, loved the sound but not the neck :(

So, once again, thanks for the time.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. Duluthdan, thanks for taking the time to review and post pictures of the guitar. Really is appreciated. I am looking for a Gibson Jumbo, with at the moment the Sheryl Crow in my sights. There is a Legend come up for sale in the UK, and along with a few other Gibsons , I am trying to get some information. The large neck is probably my only concern with the Legend. I did own a L 00 Legend, loved the sound but not the neck :(

So, once again, thanks for the time.

Cheers.

The necks of the L-OO Legend and the J-45 Legend are quite different from each other, I believe. The L-OO Legend (I have one of these) has a pronounced V-neck. I'm pretty sure the J-45 Legend has a big fat C-shape. Definitely try before you buy.

Mine has what I would I describe as a soft V. Like Dan, I have small hands, and have no problem with the sizeable neck. It is a favorite of mine.

Lovely, lovely guitar. I urge you to try one.

Red 333

I agree with the above. I do not have large hands and have no problems except getting the thumb around for playing on the top string. I also have the TV which is a great guitar. Tone is different between my two.

While the necks on the Banner Gibsons were all over the place, my 1942 J-50 has a neck that appears to be typical of the early and later-War years models with the truss rod. It is neither a soft V nor is it what I would classify as a particularly fat neck. I can't shake the feeling that the guitar Gibson copied was actually a 1943 and possibly one without a truss rod. It would explain the three-ply rosette on the Legend which is different than that on a guitar built in 1942 but right for one built the following year.

While the necks on the Banner Gibsons were all over the place, my 1942 J-50 has a neck that appears to be typical of the early and later-War years models with the truss rod. It is neither a soft V nor is it what I would classify as a particularly fat neck. I can't shake the feeling that the guitar Gibson copied was actually a 1943 and possibly one without a truss rod. It would explain the three-ply rosette on the Legend which is different than that on a guitar built in 1942 but right for one built the following year.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Cheers.

Archived