Gibson Brands Forums

Your Opinion.............

MissouriPicker

Any opinions on this? I've been interested in this guitar for years, but always ended-up with some other one that caught my eye. Went to GC 5-6 years ago to buy one and came home with a J45....When I was ready to buy one they were around 24-2600 retail. Now they're 1499 new???? Wondering if this is the same CJ165 I was interested in or what. They won't have them until December, but if this is for real, I'm really interested....Is there something here I'm missing?....Don't be hesitant to rain on my parade if there's something I'm not aware of on this model. I'm just shocked to see the price on it. Maybe they're structuring the price so that it goes along with the J15, J35 in offering a great Gibson at a lesser price. I want to order one UNLESS there's a reason I shouldn't. Please let me know any questions or doubts you might have. I'll make my own decision, but I've learned to value the views expressed in here........

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/CJ-165-Rosewood-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail

Im certain these models were discontinued. Maybe they just want to get rid of old stock, that would be my main thought behind the price slash.

If you like this guitar I would jump at it. Personally Ive played a few of these models, both maple and rosewood versions but they never did anything for me, but thats just my personal preferance.

I know there are a lot of fans of this model (wheres' Jerry K when you need him) and its a bit of a cult guitar in some circles who wishe'd it was still around.

If you dig it Larry, get it !

Don't know if its new old stock if it won't be available until December...and yes, Jerry K can make his sing. They are great guitars and that would be a good buy. Go ahead and order it. I'm sure you can return it if you don't like it. You can probably drop it at a store if you don't want to ship it.

I have to say, though, there is some odd stuff going on at the GC website. The guys on the Larrivee forum are all going crazy because they are offering a D10 for about $1000 which is about $1000 less than street price for that guitar. It also, is not currently available. They are taking orders...but somehow I wonder if either one of those guitars will get delivered at those prices...

Since they have a liberal return policy, I'd be inclined to purchase the guitar NOW. Take a screen shot of the offer and print out any emails confirming the price just in case there is some sort of change in the offering. But if that's a guitar you've had your eye on and you've got the $$$, I'd go for it. Worst that happens is you don't like it and you send it back or drop it off. If the price sticks, you could always go to GC and see if they have a model on the floor that's better than the one they shipped to you. But do that quick, because they sure mess up Gibsons on the floor.

I talked to a guy at GC and he said his information shows that Gibson won't ship them until Dec 7-9. He said that aside from one used one, neither GC or Musicians Friend has any in stock.....I'm going to wait until Monday and give Gibson a call and find out what I can. As always, I appreciate the comments and suggestions here.

Any opinions on this?

I've loved the CJ165 since the first time I saw one. I can't imagine the story behind the huge price drop. They even claim the fingerboard is still ebony, which I kind of doubt, but that's not really a deal breaker. Very interesting.....

http://youtu.be/o-FYhknHpfo

Hi found this link above from Gibson . As a owner and lover of the GSMini e and since joining the Gibson family with a J45 that I adore I have been waiting for a Gibson small body ( apart from the scale length ) this guitar looks to have answered my wishes . In the UK this guitar is advertised at £1,600 so your price looks a bargain . I would think that this guitar would make a fingerpicking dream .Good luck

I'm going to wait until Monday and give Gibson a call and find out what I can.

Yes, please do. What is the story??? As EuroAussie mentioned, I thought these were discontinued. And they used to cost about $1,000 more! But as 58Relic mentions, they're apparently available in the UK now too (at the old ~$2,400 price). I just don't get this at all....

I talked with Gibson in Bozeman this morning and GC again this afternoon. Bozeman told me it's either a special run being made for Musicians Friend and Guitar Center or it's "old/new" stock that hasn't been sold. However, since GC and MF have none of these guitars in-stock, then it's likely that new guitars are being made. They also said that the specs are the same as they were a couple of years ago, aside from most of the previous CJs being cutaways and being equipped with different electronics. Aside from that, they said the price is really good. GC re-affirmed the price and said they are new guitars. I'm extremely interested in the guitar, but still want to find out why the price is literally too-good-to-be true. Hope it's for real, because I'll get one.

I'm extremely interested in the guitar.... Hope it's for real, because I'll get one.

You can get in line right behind me. [biggrin] Of course, I'm going to have to sell off a number of my guitars to finance this endeavor. (Anybody see anything you like? Keep your eye on the trading post.) Thanks for the info, Missouri. Looks to me like a special run of newly made guitars (which GC orders up on occasion). They sure picked the right model!

Cougar, if it's for real, it's a sweet deal. Jeremy (our Gibby man here in the forum) is who I talked with this morning. He was kind enough to contact me with a message here to confirm our conversation. He thought that GC/MF must have some previous CJs that were never sold. Then again, we wondered why they were not available until early Dec. if they have them....... Another possibility might ber that GC made a mistake with the "availability" date. I'm definitely watching this. If it's real, I'll grab one.......This GAS stuff NEVER ends. So many times I've thought that I had the exact guitars I wanted...lol....

Mysterious?

You can say that again: GC's website shows 4.5 pages of new and different Gibson six strings available for purchase.

How about a 2014 J-45 mahogany top?

Here's the complete list of what they're offering (and you might be able to get them to add a 20% discount with their current promotion):

Guitar Center Gibbies

No affiliation.

That would be a crazy-good price for the CJ-165, but I fear there might be something fishy going on here.

GC is also listing a brand new J-185, to be available next year. The photo and descriptors of this guitar are lifted from those that appeared for the 2012 J-185, which I happen to have & spent much time drooling over before eventually purchasing - so I remember it well.

They've recently added many listings of this type - all for release down the road. The CJ-165 could eventually be legit, but I won't believe it until it's actually listed as available.

If indeed it does turn out to be the real deal, I'll be taking a serious look!

Just from looking at the page, it looks like someone made a boo-boo.

A 2016 L00 is listed at 3007.85 and is for sale at 2349.

The CJ185 is listed at 3171 and for sale at 1499.99.

If this read 2499.99, it would be more in line with all the others.

Just my 2 cents. Of course, anything's possible.

Just from looking at the page, it looks like someone made a boo-boo.

A 2016 L00 is listed at 3007.85 and is for sale at 2349.

The CJ185 is listed at 3171 and for sale at 1499.99.

If this read 2499.99, it would be more in line with all the others.

Just my 2 cents. Of course, anything's possible.

You are probably correct so get your order placed, drop the subject and wait for the brown truck😉

Archived