Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Fraud - Can't walk the talk.

skilsaw

I have a confession to make.

I'm a retired gentleman of adequate means who has a Walter Mitty self image as Guitar Hero.

I bought a guitar 40 years ago when I was at university and liked to carry it around, looking cool. Cut my fingernails on my left hand really short and grew the nails on my right hand. All carefully manicured like the folk music finger picking superstars of the day. My talent peaked when I could chord with friends while we sat on the floor in front of a fire. Pretending that we were in Greenwich or Haight Ashbury.

So Christmas 2014 I decided I would achieve the latent inner guitarist that lay dormant in my being and bought myself a Les Paul Standard and started lessons. I like the cool jazz tones of George Benson and Wes Montgomery so I'm going all out... learning to read music and play the whole neck. Scales and variations on scales, the building blocks of Jazz for the untalented like me.

What I've learned so far is that guitar playing that you really want to listen to is difficult and takes time, dedication and talent. Attributes that have elluded my being.

I may suck, but I'm having fun. And for $22.00 a week, guitar lessons and a half hour per day of practicing is the biggest bang I get from my pension buck. And it gives me an excuse to buy guitars. I now have my LP, a Gibson archtop, and a Martin dreadnought. The next guitar will be an American Deluxe Stratocaster even though I have no aspirations of wailing like Jimi Hendrix. It is just another iconic guitar to hang on my wall.

So, for all you true guitarists out there, I bow to you and follow in your footsteps, even if far behind. Never to reach the impossible dream, but having fun along the way.

Hi skilsaw, the most important thing is that you are having fun. Good for you that you are taking lessons and playing every day. [thumbup]

I'm learning a finger picking tune called 'The Last Steam Train Engine' (I hope I've got the title right, my brain is frazzled from playing) what a tricky little number but I'm taking my time and breaking it down in sections, I'm determined to nail this tune.

If I had to choose out of all the music gear I've got, my metronome wins hands down.

Glad you are enjoying your guitars and don't forget to share photos when you get another guitar.

kind regards, Emma :)

I'm surrounded by a gazillion guitars, always have been, always will be. I am awful on a guitar. Or bass...banjo...fiddle.... basically anything I pick up cries.

I have fun sometimes, sometimes I'm so frustrated I want to throw one.

Abe Labouriel put out a funk bass instructional videotape tape 20 years ago and he stressed the therapeutic value (my words) of something as simple as pounding out one note on a bass over and over, having it come from the heart. Let it move you. Eventually you'll add another note. And another. I know that's bass and not Steve Vai or Joe Pass but the sentiment is the same. Sometimes I can go into a zone with an old classical strumming three chords over and over. It's what I want to hear at that given moment.

Have fun and don't worry about meeting someone else's definition of anything.

Everyone is probably in the same boat - sometimes I'm really good, sometimes I suck mightily.

I told one of my buddies that I wasn't very good on the guitar and he laughed and said, "That never stopped anyone else!" so I persevere.

Have fun, that's the main thing.

Everyone is probably in the same boat - sometimes I'm really good, sometimes I suck mightily.

I told one of my buddies that I wasn't very good on the guitar and he laughed and said, "That never stopped anyone else!" so I persevere.

Have fun, that's the main thing.

Hi SteveFord, this has made me feel so much better [thumbup]

I thought it was just me that can take one step forward and two steps back, with my playing. I still have fun playing but now I'll just go with the flow.

When I played a lot of tennis (back in the 1980's) I found that when I played strictly with a small group of friends who were just about at my skill level, I never got any better at it.

It was only when I forced myself to play tennis against a superior player that my game improved.

I stepped up.

The same holds true with guitar playing.

When you are left to your own devices, you can and will progress, and slowly become a better and better player.

But only slowly.

And eventually you may stagnate, and sort of sit in a holding pattern.

But it is when you take the opportunity to sit in with other players, and jam and practice with superior guitar players, that you will find yourself getting unbelievably better at it.

Other players can inspire you and show you licks, tricks, techniques, and things that will make you a more well-rounded player.

Just food for thought.

:)

If I had to choose out of all the music gear I've got, my metronome wins hands down.

You love your metronome! [scared]

I keep smashing mine up because they won't keep "time" with me!

I can't understand why. [unsure]

Same here. I've been taking lessons for 2 1/2 years and I still would never be comfortable playing in front of anyone. But I'm having fun, taking lessons every week and venturing into bass lessons as well. I just got back from the Kiss Kruise V and had a group bass lesson with Gene Simmons. I'm having the time of my life and I've enjoyed acquiring the guitars I love. Sometimes getting old isn't so bad.

I can relate, I just started to "try" to learn 2 years ago, I am taking lessons but I generally suck. I can play a couple easy songs but not many. I have even thought of giving up on lessons because I get the most enjoyment from just noodling around or trying to figure out songs by ear. The main reason I have never posted any clips of my playing is that I am embarrased that I am no better than I am, then I see how talented a lot of players are on here and it makes me even more reluctant to do so.

There is all kinds of definitions of "good", as well as different reasons and uses for playing guitar.

Some guys can play anything anyone else can, including copying the best players. But put them with a band and they can't do anything of use, let alone keep time.

Some guys are incredibly creative, and seem to always come up with a good line or chord.

Some guys can't sing, or sing well.

Some guys can play really well, but can't bring a tune to the table for others to play along with.

I could go on and on, but the point is, GOOD is a relative term. If you can get something out of it, and if OTHERS can get something out of what you can do, that's GOOD enough to the point it doesn't matter beyond that to be considered a "guitar player".

I'm a retired gentleman of adequate means who has a Walter Mitty self image as Guitar Hero.

I bought a guitar 40 years ago when I was at university and liked to carry it around, looking cool. Cut my fingernails on my left hand really short and grew the nails on my right hand. All carefully manicured like the folk music finger picking superstars of the day. My talent peaked when I could chord with friends while we sat on the floor in front of a fire. Pretending that we were in Greenwich or Haight Ashbury.

So Christmas 2014 I decided I would achieve the latent inner guitarist that lay dormant in my being and bought myself a Les Paul Standard and started lessons. I like the cool jazz tones of George Benson and Wes Montgomery so I'm going all out... learning to read music and play the whole neck. Scales and variations on scales, the building blocks of Jazz for the untalented like me.

What I've learned so far is that guitar playing that you really want to listen to is difficult and takes time, dedication and talent. Attributes that have elluded my being.

I may suck, but I'm having fun. And for $22.00 a week, guitar lessons and a half hour per day of practicing is the biggest bang I get from my pension buck. And it gives me an excuse to buy guitars. I now have my LP, a Gibson archtop, and a Martin dreadnought. The next guitar will be an American Deluxe Stratocaster even though I have no aspirations of wailing like Jimi Hendrix. It is just another iconic guitar to hang on my wall.

So, for all you true guitarists out there, I bow to you and follow in your footsteps, even if far behind. Never to reach the impossible dream, but having fun along the way.

I resemble these remarks.

LOL!

I started playing guitar at age 52, I'm 60 now... Yeah I suck but I'm playing in a band, write my own songs and have videos on YouTube... I still have my dreams and dreams can come true... Go for it...!!! I'll keep yo posted when I start my world tour...

Very much in the same boat. Got 2 LP's; realised a few months ago I suck, so started lessons.

Asked the tutor to treat me as if I was a complete beginner, as I could guarantee that, being self-taught; there was a shedload of stuff I should and did not know.

It's still frustrating; at the moment I'm trying to get my head completely around chord progressions with some stuff the tutor gave me, but it's done to timings and that is something I've not had to think about without a band before.

It's like I have a twin!

Quite seriously I'd probably rather listen to you guys who claim not to be any good at guitar over just about any shredder pro - I like it simple and straightforward and if you get out and play with others I'm confident you will sound fine - and find the audience agrees - what's there to lose, regardless of your age?

I admit that I am a stinky player too. My struggle comes courtesy of my small fingers. The necks of most guitars are just too thick for me. Even with my LP Studio, I struggle to make a lot of the chords that require fingers on top strings and bottom ones - and don't get me started on barre chords! [cursing] I try to do finger exercises to strengthen my fingers, but strength doesn't make up for stubby fingers - thus I never aspired to be a pro player (add to that that I am a better singer and am one of those people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so singing and playing together are out! )

The long and the short of it is that you play for fun and that is all that really matters. Besides, as most pro players will tell you, if it stops being fun then it's time to stop. Keep on keepin' on and have fun! [thumbup]

My struggle comes courtesy of my small fingers. The necks of most guitars are just too thick for me. Even with my LP Studio, I struggle to make a lot of the chords that require fingers on top strings and bottom ones - and don't get me started on barre chords!

Sounds like you'd make a hella mandolin player. [thumbup] The struggle there is the opposite - tiny little neck and your fingers all jammed in there.

Archived