Gibson Brands Forums

Your 3 Favorite Guitar Lessons/Resources

northcntryblues

Just wondering what everyone's three favorite guitar instructional lessons/resources are. It's good to get recommendation for the 'good stuff'. Mine:

1. Fred Sokolow's 'Songbook' Series. I have the Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin, and Cole Porter sets. My next purchase will be the Gershwin set. I first bought the Carmichael book about 10 years ago, and it wasn't until this summer, after years of trying them every so often, that I was able to learn Sokolow's chord melody fingerstyle. Once I finally got one song - 'Up a Lazy River' - I was able to tackle the rest fairly quickly. These are my absolute favorite songs of all to play on guitar. If anyone has any other recommendations for these types of tunes, let me know.

2. Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo's book/cd 'Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar'. 20 years ago or so I learned to fingerpick the guitar from this book. It's awesome - I still go back to it from time to time.

3. Tom Feldman's Robert Johnson dvd. Very well done. Good explanation and the tab included is fantastic and very 'readable' compared to some others I've seen.

Im a youtube hound for songs .

Hear a song that i reckon i coukd tackle and understand the emotion behind , if i cant fugure it out then i'll search youtube for peoples covers and steal little bita from them all , or leave bits out that i dont like.

Never been into instrumentals , or peices for the guitar. Just songs ....

Maybe i should though.

Heard Fred Sokolow in an interview a few years back on VH1 channel I think. He said (and I paraphrase) that if you really want to learn something on guitar you'll spend 2-3 weeks of literally doing just that song you want to learn. Over and over, day after day. Then once the brain and muscle memory are in-sync you'll fly. He said it's different for everyone. Some can learn an entire measure at once, while others need to learn just a quick melody run or phrase at a time. The key is to master one before going-on to the next. Some songs can be learned in a week. Others might take several weeks to really nail it down the way you want....... For me, I often didn't have the discipline to stay on one part of a song I absolutely was dying to play. I was always looking for a way around the tougher parts, BUT, it's true: stick with it and you will get it. All those chord fragments and single notes get pretty easy and you start doing them automatically. And then, all those strange chords and fragments/runs you learned for a particular song, you find yourself substituting with them for chords of songs you've known for years. I wish I had started following the advice of folks like Sokolow decades ago.

1. Anything Justin Sandercoe teaches as noted by EuroAussie

2. I've recently purchased Howard Morgen's Fingerboard Breakthrough course and have been really enjoying it. It gets into very technical aspects of the guitar without being overly boring or complex. He's a great teacher (Paul Simon was one of his students) and a fantastic player and I've had a few "A-ha" moments going through the course so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojEu8xsIS8

3. Carl Brown has a ton of awesome song and theory lessons https://guitarlessons365.com/song-lessons/

Hi I find you tube is totally valuable when it comes to learning , I listen and watch any styles on acoustic guitar . As I don't sing and I play mostly instrumental music on the guitar . Doyle Dykes , Tommy Emmanuel , Ralph Mc Tell and James Taylor . If I can learn one new thing a lick or phrases a day I'm happy . Biggest problem I find is keeping all your song lists top notch and dividing playing and practice

Archived