Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar set up.

wezzywest

Hi,

How do you find the Gibson factory set up. Do you have the action altered or is it spot on for you?

Are you a strummer or picker, I am just wondering what style of playing people find the factory set up suits. I have just played a few slope shoulder Gibsons, and found the action more or less spot on when I strummed some chords. When I tried some travis picking, I felt the action a little bit on the high side, although not much, when playing at the dusty end. My existing guitar which is a Brook, is set really low, so I imagine that's what I am used to. When I get my Gibson it will be mainly for strumming, and my Brook for picking. What have you good people done when a new Gibbo arrives?

Cheers.

Hi wezzzy,

One thing id advise , is that there are quite a few gibsons around with not a lot of grace left on the saddle .

Id struggle to get mine lower , its borderline too high as i like a real low action...

If yoire picking one and like a low action keep your eye on the saddle to ensure you have enough there should you require to take some off.

On every Gibson I have ever owned I had to have the nut slots depend ever so slightly to get to where I was comfortable. If I put a capo on the third fret, and depress the low E stirnd behind the capo to the first fret, I like to hear a "tick" but I don't want to be able to easily see the string bend. Everyone that I let play these guitars would always say "this is spot on". Well, it wasn't for me. I am a weakling, and I don't use a pick. So for me to get the lower action I always wanted, hd to have the nut slots slightly deepened. This is not work I do myself - I have two guys (Luthiers) that I use that "get it".

Hi I have a new J45 . The factory specifications listed on my warranty are spot on ,i haven't had to change anything . I play 100% with thumbpick and nails and it's the best guitar I've played wouldn't change it for the world. However depending on the strings used ,the D string when plugged in can be a little dominate , I use Gibson 80-20 Masterbuilt 100% these sound fine .

I have to lower the saddle a bit. Like stated above, i have seen lot of grace left on saddles.

However i don't like to have a very low action, i'd rather keep some height for the tone, and avoid fretting when using picks, make sure your luthier does not lower it too much if you want to keep this nice tone and projection.

It is luck of the draw - your guitar is affected by weather, travel, hanging on shop or house walls, car, bike?, walkin'

They leave the factory with the best intentions, but anything does and can happen.

Take it to a great luthier/guitar tech, show a bit of your playing style....and a whisker off saddle here and 3 whiskers off the nut here and a few tweaks and the spray of magic dust powder....and your strings of choice......the guitar becomes this absolutely unbelievable object! (I just returned from having my D18 set up! [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Don't cut any corners on his! You play it every day.

BluesKing777.

I have purchased several new Gibsons over the past couple of years and the action on each was a bit high for my personal preference. Each of them went to my luthier for a proper adjustment. I am sure Gibson intentionally leaves ample nut and saddle material, so actions can be easily lowered if desired. Starting out too low would be a bit more problematic to correct.

Yes it makes sense to have the guitar factory setting a pinch high, as Bozz said, it would be problematic if set to low. Mafy, I agree go to low and you could lose some tone and get fret buzz. Bluesking, yep the right set up vital, as you say `we play them every day`.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

want a guitar that comes setup great right out of the box from the factory?

buy..

a..

Taylor...

sorry, gotta go.. I'm running for cover now...

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but the Taylor quality is not what it used to be. I've owned a few and stil have an 814CE. The newer ones I've looked at look like they come from China. Multiple pieces of wood glued together for the necks and the wood tones don't come close to matching. Nuts not cut nearly deep enough making playing near the nut challenging, bows in the neck. I know that most of this is adjustable but when asking 3K+ for a guitar I expect more.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but the Taylor quality is not what it used to be. I've owned a few and stil have an 814CE. The newer ones I've looked at look like they come from China. Multiple pieces of wood glued together for the necks and the wood tones don't come close to matching. Nuts not cut nearly deep enough making playing near the nut challenging, bows in the neck. I know that most of this is adjustable but when asking 3K+ for a guitar I expect more.

well, perhaps..

I've not been in the market recently got my first one in 2000, the second in 2005.

the action / pliability on both of these has always been tremendous. I do keep them humidified in the winter, and they are always cased when not in use. I've had really good luck with these.

1447335333[/url]' post='1710991']

want a guitar that comes setup great right out of the box from the factory?

buy..

a..

Taylor...

sorry, gotta go.. I'm running for cover now...

Ha Ha , are you fully covered ? I have to defend Gibson on this one , when I purchased my J45 I played Martin Taylor and indeed Gibson .The Taylor guitars I played did not impress , all had actions on the high side apart from a very nice Koa £4,000 that was locked in a glass case a very nice Martin Clapton was superb . All the Gibson guitar I played were set up to perfection , new strings , not played to death by non buyers only tryers . I own I great GS mini e and yes it had to be set up . In my view all guitars when new need to be set up after a few months of settling in to the owners specs . The only exception to this during fifty years of playing , is my J45 , the dealer asked me to return the guitar after a month from new for a free set up , but nothing has changed

I have to disagree with you Dave. I've sampled Taylor guitars for years and they've always been easy to play right out of the box but I've found they just haven't thrilled me. However, since the redesign of the 800, 600 and now the 500 series by Andy Powers, I'm totally blown away by these instruments. I never thought I'd find a guitar that sounded better than my Songwriter, but I traded my SWD for a 2014 Taylor 814ce. I believe they are better made and exponentially better sounding instruments than just five years ago. The fit and finish on new Taylors is remarkable (and I unbox a new one almost every day).

As to nut slots and neck bows, as you say, those are things that can be adjusted. Nut slots are intentionally left on the stout side of things as it is easier to lower the slot than raise it. Not every car's suspension will match your driving style. If you are an off-road driver, soft suspension could cause problems yes? So for a $3000+ instrument you expect better? What? You require Taylor to mind-meld with you as a future possible customer and discover your playing style and then setup the guitar to your specs before you buy it? Perhaps James Olson can do that for you in a custom made $15,000 instrument. The easy solution is to get the new guitar setup to your specs once you've purchased it. Most good guitar stores will provide this service on new instruments free of charge.

That being said, nothing sounds like a Gibson and I love mine!

PS: I also love my Martin

I have to disagree with you Dave. I've sampled Taylor guitars for years and they've always been easy to play right out of the box but I've found they just haven't thrilled me. However, since the redesign of the 800, 600 and now the 500 series by Andy Powers, I'm totally blown away by these instruments. I never thought I'd find a guitar that sounded better than my Songwriter, but I traded my SWD for a 2014 Taylor 814ce. I believe they are better made and exponentially better sounding instruments than just five years ago. The fit and finish on new Taylors is remarkable (and I unbox a new one almost every day).

As to nut slots and neck bows, as you say, those are things that can be adjusted. Nut slots are intentionally left on the stout side of things as it is easier to lower the slot than raise it. Not every car's suspension will match your driving style. If you are an off-road driver, soft suspension could cause problems yes? So for a $3000+ instrument you expect better? What? You require Taylor to mind-meld with you as a future possible customer and discover your playing style and then setup the guitar to your specs before you buy it? Perhaps James Olson can do that for you in a custom made $15,000 instrument. The easy solution is to get the new guitar setup to your specs once you've purchased it. Most good guitar stores will provide this service on new instruments free of charge.

That being said, nothing sounds like a Gibson and I love mine!

PS: I also love my Martin

We must be pulling them out of different boxes😀

The one I'm referencing was one of the newer 814CE

I was blown away with one of the newer 900 series. It vibrated beyond anything I've tried and it sounded very good. But at 5000+ I had to pass on it.

We must be pulling them out of different boxes😀

The one I'm referencing was one of the newer 814CE

I was blown away with one of the newer 900 series. It vibrated beyond anything I've tried and it sounded very good. But at 5000+ I had to pass on it.

Yes, I'm talking about the new 800 series as well. My 814ce is an Andy Powers redesign and it is awesome.

Archived