Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Tube Amp VS Modeling Amp (Can you hear the difference test?)

rocketman

I completely agree. What I did is choose versatility over the "pure" tube sound and feel. My Line 6 Vetta II amp has everything in it including effects, all in one package. I love to play different styles, from jazz, to rock, to country (and western [rolleyes]). No one tube amp can capture all the tones I want (the Mesa Boogie Mark V comes close). I guess I could buy a bunch of amps, which isn't a bad thing, but for now I'm happy with the Vetta II.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to me this is the plus of the modeling amp setup.

My tube amps sound great, but they are limited to what they are.

two channles on two of them, and one of them has only a gain pull knob, no master volume.

so to make them work for me in all the variations I need, I have a pedaltrain, it's probably heavier than a Mustang III.

I've done a handful of gigs using the Mustang IV, these gigs were both one set, as well as a full 4 set night.

the setup up time and logistics with the mustang was pretty easy to manage, and it gave me all the sounds I needed with out lugging a 70lb tube amp, speaker cab, and a 45lb pedal board, then all the cable runs, power feeds etc. I didn't really miss the marshall since I have two presets on the mustang that are pretty close.

IMO, while on their own, of course, these amps do sound better, however I still say the subtle characteristics of the tube amps are lost in the mix when you're playing at stage levels with drums, bass, another guitar.

We could argue the merit's, and drawbacks of all kinds of amps! And, we often DO!

However, what really matters, is to play through the rig YOU love the most, SS, Tube,

Hybrid, whatever! The folks you're playing for, unless they are musicians, that are

looking for it, won't even notice the difference, unless it's quite obvious/drastic.

I was at an event, this past weekend, where one "Metal" band, used NO amps! It was

all floor processors, through the PA. I was (pleasantly) surprised, at how good it

actually sounded! Still, "I" prefer tube amps, myself! Always have, always will.

But, I do own a couple of SS amps, as well. A Marshall AVT 20, and a 1980 Japanese

made Fender Sidekick 35R, that I can get some really nice/decent tones from, as well.

The AVT does have one tube, in the pre-amp, stage. But, the Sidekick is total SS.

and 35 years old SS, at that. It's never let me down, once! And, I often take it

to bar/small club gigs, as a back up, or partner to, my Blues Jr.

So...???

CB

to me this is the plus of the modeling amp setup.

My tube amps sound great, but they are limited to what they are.

two channles on two of them, and one of them has only a gain pull knob, no master volume.

so to make them work for me in all the variations I need, I have a pedaltrain, it's probably heavier than a Mustang III.

I've done a handful of gigs using the Mustang IV, these gigs were both one set, as well as a full 4 set night.

the setup up time and logistics with the mustang was pretty easy to manage, and it gave me all the sounds I needed with out lugging a 70lb tube amp, speaker cab, and a 45lb pedal board, then all the cable runs, power feeds etc. I didn't really miss the marshall since I have two presets on the mustang that are pretty close.

IMO, while on their own, of course, these amps do sound better, however I still say the subtle characteristics of the tube amps are lost in the mix when you're playing at stage levels with drums, bass, another guitar.

Yep I've had the mustang 3 &4 amps they're great amps,that's why I bought the mustang 5. A lot of different sounds without using pedals. I don't think I've ever saw a bad review on them.

I have a Kemper Profiling amp, I also own some nice tube amps.The Kemper is so good that my tube amps rarely get played. It not only sounds like a tube amp, it feels like one and reacts as a tube amp does. It's very impressive indeed.

Archived