Gibson Brands Forums

Knives.....

Murph

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point he is making is evil exists. Everywhere. It's unfortunate but it's reality. A knife can be a useful handy tool like some of us feel. Or it can be a weapon to either do harm or protect. But then the other discussion of course is bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Karloff, I'm not speaking for anybody but myself. I am commenting on the opinions expressed on this thread so far, and then venturing a personal opinion. I made that much clear.

I have been attacked in the street with a 12" rasp. I'm glad he wasn't carrying a knife. He might have used a knife if knives were tolerated in England. That's just one more reason why I don't want them decriminalised here.

The attack I was subjected to was not premeditated. For that reason its possible that the law has already protected me; and others in a similar predicament to mine.

If people don't get that, its because they don't want to.

If outlawing the carrying of knives kept you from being attacked with a knife then why not just outlaw attacking people in the street reguardless of the weapon? Honestly you Brits... do I have to think of everything? [thumbup]

I think there are various sorts of emotional/cultural involvements going here.

I'll add that it's illegal to carry a weapon into our local "out west, cattle and cowboy country" courthouse. I'm guessing that 80-90 percent of those entering the courthouse are carrying a knife that likely would be illegal in the UK or, it seems, in Oz.

Why isn't that little old lady with the one-hand-opening lock-blade knife in her jeans arrested as she walks past the sheriff's office? It's because the knife is a multi-purpose tool, not a weapon. I do know a few ladies who don't like to see guys using a pocket knife on their steak in a restaurant - but usually cuz they've seen their fathers using a similar knife for castrating livestock, wiping it on their jeans or chaps, then using the same knife to cut their lunchtime sandwich.

I'm also with "Digger" on firearms being tools in many places, including where I live - but also "sports equipment" in the same sense as any other sports equipment that also might be misused by some idiot or criminal.

I'll add that I carry a lockblade, one-hand knife daily. Also a small Swiss Army knife on my keychain.

Weapons? Seriously, I tend to "carry" a firearm when I'm out in the boonies. I've had two confrontations with feral dog packs that will eat anything that ain't eating them - but it's been the same piece I've used for competition.

Anti-human weapon?

Anyone with a potential need - and I've carried a sidearm in the big and often nasty city of Memphis when I was carrying sums of cash, but not to a dinner out - and a person with bit of training might be best advised simply to carry a high quality steel ballpoint pen and a lot of awareness while in a vehicle (a huge kinetic energy weapon) or outside it. And... the knowledge of what areas of cities to avoid. Then again, we're talking mindset rather than hardware.

And I can't help but note that bad guys in urban situations have a tremendous "advantage" in that most people tend to think like victims when in decent urban environments. That's also an advantage bad guys are more than aware of, and use.

I can't forget going outside a high-end hotel on Copacabana Beach in Rio to take night photos and had a half dozen terrified hotel crew members running out to the beach to bring me back inside due to serious danger from bad guys. It was a hotel that had housed ten heads of state for a world conference. Heck, carrying a firearm, even a full auto piece, wouldn't do much good against a gang of the dozens of bad guys feared by the hotel staff because... robbery and worse by such gangs had happened.

Surf.... Using a knife blade for slide guitar ain't at all uncommon as far as I've seen all over the US.

m

Back to the Op, knives most certainly are tools, but some are very collectible. I have a few friends who craft very nice hand made knives that are sought by collectors, one makes primitive obsidian blades by striking the obsidian with flints. The other make blades out of files, rasps and industrial band saw blades, both sell world wide.I have somewhere around two hundred various knives, most have never been out of the box. Some are limited edition engraved, some like my two Ruana's, which were made by Ruddy Ruana 40 years ago when few knew of him were bought for around $30.00, and are now worth over 1K each and the value is climbing. These knives have never been used. On the other hand I have several Bucks that are used regularly, funny, I remember the first time I ever flew on a commercial airliner, I walked in the jet with a Buck 110 on my belt, sat at the lounge in the rear of the jet and drank scotch and sodas while being served a steak dinner! Those days are gone, but I still have the knife. I also have my dads knive, and my grand fathers knives, but then I collect anything.

My current daily carry is a Kershaw 1660CKT Leek Assisted 3" Black Plain Blade.

It's a very nice and fits into my front pocket.

The auto assist open is super sweet and handy. Ken Onion design who ever he is, and USA made.

Great all around knife and I have not lost it yet. I was think the blade might not that study, but it's fine for most jobs I have put it through.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1660CKT/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Leek-Black-Tini-Plain-Edge-Assisted-Opener-3-inch-blade

1660CKT-1.jpg

A knife post sure i'll jump in after all it's interesting to hear all the varied opinion from this diverse and varied world we call home. And yep i'm in he United Staes and in fact i'm in Arizona a place where you can carry a concealed weapon of almost any kind including pistol concealed or hidden ad without a permit all you need is to be a resident and 16. so a drivers license will work hell we can carry guns in restraints and drinking places now. And Knives well yep i carry several o me at all times. The knife i carry depends on where i'm going and what i might be doing so when i'm being almost civilized i usually only carry two. A weatherman in a custom leather sheath that holds it at a nice angle to grab if needed on a art install or working on something. I also Carry a small 2 inch pocket knife always it has a damascus blade and is a custom knife made by a artist named Chris of Z Knives and is both a useful tool and a amazing piece of art for its own sake, It's also a auto or switchblade which should make a few people gasp but again legal in Arizona. Oh and I guess I told a fib I also carry a small hand made (Mine) sewn into mt wallet so i guess thats a third.

Now if I'm out in the woods or hiking near my house I carry larger blades including a Tunnel rat folder by Dwayne Carillo that has a 4.25 inch heavy and amazingly strong blade, That's in a pouch at my belt replacing the Leather-man I also carry a custom made fighter survival knife with a 9 inch blade ranger style horizontally on the back of my belt it's in a custom sheath with a compass, a fire steel and a small survival escape and evade kit. I also usually carry a tomahawk or a small axe usually a Daniel Winkler stealth axe or A Razel Rawk from my wilder days thats a small indestructible breaching axe that you can chop through a car door or roof with easily and without damage i know that from experience. Oh and around my neck i carry a leather pouch that has a small winkler custom folder as park of mightier making kit with flint and some tinder so guess I would need to count that even if he blade is only about 2 inches long.

Other than that depends on what I need I have probably close to fifty to choose from. Oh and I also carry several small tools made by Peter Atwood in a small leather roll and a pistol with me almost all the time unless I'm in the woods then I carry a long gun if i'm hunting or a Henry Mares leg in 44mag in a sheath on the side of my pack so yeah i'm not as civilized as most on here i guess.

It's sad that someone needs, or feels the need to carry a knife or gun (this isn't a personal statement to Saturn). The US has gone crazy. Look at the killing figures. Just the polce killings are horrendous on their own. Then the amount of black people killed (the bulk by black's themselves). Something has to change.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries.

us_zpskl3namjr.jpg

I don't carry a Swiss army knife for protection (I would carry a 9mm for that) but as a tool). Us it every day, almost all day. The shoot'n iron, not when I'm working at job sites. If I'm traveling, or going unfamiliar places, then YES. At home, HECK YES.

Here's a stat that just doesn't get any worry or air time. Not glamours or "politically correct" enough I guess, but to me DEAD IS DEAD. 2013 unintentional vehicle Deaths is 32,719. 10.3/100,000 people AUTO's not 5.1/100,000 HOMICIDE!!! We need to outlaw cars for sure based on this!! That's pert near 3x homicide and it COULD be dealt with and cut in half with real work. Let's mobilize the Washington or better yet, the 1% for a camp in again. But seriously, people are all up in arms, bad pun, over knives/guns/hammer/ball bat deaths but really don't give a rats *** about auto death enough to change that.

It is sad that "bad" people exist. Unfortunately, my thinking good vibs about them & singing John Lennon's "Give peace a chance" didn't work years ago. So I gave up "wishing" it. I do as many active things to affect it but do recognize it is what it is. I would us force to protect myself, or other innocents involved with thoughtful action. One less of them is better than one less of someone not doing anything wrong in my book.

I don't carry a camping knife unless out in the woods camping. See no need for it anywhere in town.

Aster

I own guns and knives and I don't care what others think about it. these discussions always devolve into some crap about how violent the US is, and blaming it on firearms.Something to consider, if you care to think for yourself, the US cities with the strictest gun laws are Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, Detroit, and NYC.If you take the crime rate in those cities out of the crime statistics the US drops to 29th on the list. Chicago doesn't have a gun problem, it has a gang problem, one gang just exicuted a 9 year old boy last week because his father is in another gang, the boy was lured into an alley and stabbed to death. The killings in that town are high because of lax law enforcement which has been going on for decades. I live in a state with very high rates of gun ownership, it is easy to acquire a firearm, crime rates are low. In fact people move here from other places because of our low crime rate. There is a reason they don't move to Chicago.

I'm with you. Here in the US we don't actually have a "gun" or "knife" problem. That's an aqenda created by the liberal mindset. Liberals want to force their agenda on the populace because they don't think we the people are capable of making rational decisions for ourselves. What we have in the US is an "entitlement" and "criminal" problem, supported and enabled by liberal politicians at all levels of government, not a "gun" or "knife" problem.

I'm with you. Here in the US we don't actually have a "gun" or "knife" problem. That's an aqenda created by the liberal mindset. Liberals want to force their agenda on the populace because they don't think we the people are capable of making rational decisions for ourselves. What we have in the US is an "entitlement" and "criminal" problem, supported and enabled by liberal politicians at all levels of government, not a "gun" or "knife" problem.

As evidenced by this here thread.

A discussion about knives between regular people turns into a knives are good or bad discussion. Even GUNS?

It's pretty easy to see those that are discussing, what they have, carry, and use are not the type of folks who are interested in what kind of damage they could do or any thought of using them for anything but doing good things.

That's for sure Stein. Last Resort for me would be force like that and it would have to be to avoid great bodily harm or death for certain. Pissed off in a line that's slow, EVEN AT THE WALMART, wouldn't ever qualify! [biggrin]

One of my two favs:

I can't believe how often I use the awl (drywall anchors), and even the screwdrivers (simple stuff for driver)

Swiss Army Knife "Pioneer" super thin in my pocket and two screwdrivers (one with a great can opener, fast too)

Swiss%20Army%20Knife%202_zps8ohv97zv.jpg

Swiss Army Knife "Electrican" thin and I like the stubby blade (wire insulation work)

Swiss%20Army%20Knife_zpsejyrefz4.jpg

Aster

Here in Fairbanks I could walk around with a machete on my hip and an assault rifle over my shoulder and the only looks I would get are from tourists. Also if I saw someone doing the same I wouldn't get concerned. Up here the one thing you know for sure is that with concealed carry totally legal you never know who would shoot back!

It's the same here in Utah. They're very possessive of their right to carry their weapons around. I think this just adds unneeded weight and is injurious to contemporary fashion. [flapper]

A knife post sure i'll jump in after all it's interesting to hear all the varied opinion from this diverse and varied world we call home. And yep i'm in he United Staes and in fact i'm in Arizona a place where you can carry a concealed weapon of almost any kind including pistol concealed or hidden ad without a permit all you need is to be a resident and 16. so a drivers license will work hell we can carry guns in restraints and drinking places now. And Knives well yep i carry several o me at all times. The knife i carry depends on where i'm going and what i might be doing so when i'm being almost civilized i usually only carry two. A weatherman in a custom leather sheath that holds it at a nice angle to grab if needed on a art install or working on something. I also Carry a small 2 inch pocket knife always it has a damascus blade and is a custom knife made by a artist named Chris of Z Knives and is both a useful tool and a amazing piece of art for its own sake, It's also a auto or switchblade which should make a few people gasp but again legal in Arizona. Oh and I guess I told a fib I also carry a small hand made (Mine) sewn into mt wallet so i guess thats a third.

Now if I'm out in the woods or hiking near my house I carry larger blades including a Tunnel rat folder by Dwayne Carillo that has a 4.25 inch heavy and amazingly strong blade, That's in a pouch at my belt replacing the Leather-man I also carry a custom made fighter survival knife with a 9 inch blade ranger style horizontally on the back of my belt it's in a custom sheath with a compass, a fire steel and a small survival escape and evade kit. I also usually carry a tomahawk or a small axe usually a Daniel Winkler stealth axe or A Razel Rawk from my wilder days thats a small indestructible breaching axe that you can chop through a car door or roof with easily and without damage i know that from experience. Oh and around my neck i carry a leather pouch that has a small winkler custom folder as park of mightier making kit with flint and some tinder so guess I would need to count that even if he blade is only about 2 inches long.

Other than that depends on what I need I have probably close to fifty to choose from. Oh and I also carry several small tools made by Peter Atwood in a small leather roll and a pistol with me almost all the time unless I'm in the woods then I carry a long gun if i'm hunting or a Henry Mares leg in 44mag in a sheath on the side of my pack so yeah i'm not as civilized as most on here i guess.

Crikey!

I actually built some knives back in the early-mid '70s. I say "built" because all but one was with a storebought blade.

Also in the '70s when I was sailing, most of the guys carried a knife with a nice sharp blade, frequently a sheath knife, to cut stuff if there were a problem and often too a folder with a "fid" as a blade to work with ropes and canvas. Nowadays the actual cutting blade on such folders seem to be one-hand opening.

One of my most prized possessions is a cruddy-looking sheath knife that a dentist in my original little hometown made for each of the WWII solders heading out to war. My Dad carried it in the Aleutian Islands where the weather was as much "enemy" as the Japanese, especially given he told a tale of having a Jeep engine freeze while it was running - and yes it had antifreeze in it.

Last I had it out, it'd cut through heavy saddle skirting leather like a butter knife through warm butter. Given the steel, I think it less than optimum for some purposes but... it'd cut about anything.

I'd add that the only difference between a weapon and a tool is human mindset. But then... the human body itself is quite capable of becoming a weapon - and that's not a matter of "martial arts" training but the law at least in the U.S.

m

Very sweet and like an old Timex, "it takes a lick'n and still keeps tick'n. I cut #12 theater copper speaker wire (when in a pinch) even. Yeah it gets dull, but a few drags on the wet stone and ready to go.

I think I remember a big blade/little blade alum. w/o the awl & can opener that I had SUPER thin and it was great too. Lost in some battle somewhere during a work day 20 yr's ago. I don't know if I've ever seen them again.

Aster

Archived