Gibson Brands Forums

Knives.....

Murph

When my little brother was a patrol deputy sheriff he usually carried several rather large folding knives on his gunbelt.

One had a huge regular cutting blade and the other "blade" was a saw.

Why? On rescues of various sorts the saw blade came in handy in the forest environment. The huge cutting blade ditto. I think more recently many "out of town" officers I know will carry a medium-size folding knife with a special end with a hard metal point designed to smash vehicle windows in case of a crash.

Also I know of several folks who used their one-hand opening knives to cut off their seat belt after medium impact car wrecks - sometimes for themselves and sometimes for others. One-hand opening is handy if you only have one functioning hand.

When I used to go deer hunting in the mountains, I always carried a big old Shrade one-blader modified for one hand opening - and an old Smith 6-shooter with my own recipe for .38 special ammunition to carry on a single hunt. Thing is, on one expedition I almost went over a cliff. That got me thinking since at the time there was a terrible problem with feral dog packs in that area.

So my special ammo I loaded myself had a very slow powder and hollow-based wadcutter lead bullets (edit: loaded base-up). Why? The slow powder would give me a flame plume 12-15 feet, the "bang" was loud, and the bullet would not penetrate far into a dog or deer needing s grace stroke, but would open up to nearly an inch.

Three shots is a common and recognized distress signal. I had two "takes" with the six if needed, and loose extras in vest pockets if I wasn't too banged up to get to them. At night the shot plume shows well, and in clear weather for as much as a mile or more, depending. And the combination of flame, bang and that bullet likely would slow a dog or whatever that shouldn't be out free.

I carried the revolver cross draw in case of injury to either arm; ditto the one-hander knife close in front of the hip right side so either hand could get to it in emergency.

Before the incident with the cliff, I only carried a sheath knife I'd made for myself, a drop-point hunter, that worked well to dress out a deer - or stir some bacon over a campfire. After the incident I figured I'd not be able to get to the rifle, so... it was up to what was attached to me. Carried a "space blanket," water and fire-making stuff and a few other "in case" possibles, too, in the jacket.

m

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry a Gerber Silver Knight with me all the time.

Unfortunately even a three-inch knife can get you into trouble these days. I tried to get into the Angel game earlier this summer and they sent me back to the car to put it away. I didn't get into trouble and I certainly didn't lose the knife, but jeez, we sure have become an uptight society when you can't even bring a pocket knife into a ball game.

They would have probably schitts there pants if they saw me with my Buck 110 or 119! [scared]

I have many knives, firearms, and a compound bow... In my truck I always have at least 3 good knives and usually have my bow in there too!!! Not for protection, just cause I'm a hunter an I'm out almost everyday!!! As far as people carrying knives in their pocket or carrying a firearm it doesn't bother me at all!!! I understand most of the comments why people think you shouldn't be able to carry a firearm.. But guns don't kill people, an I believe every law abiding citizen should be able to carry a sidearm!! Just my 2 cents..

Unfortunately even a three-inch knife can get you into trouble these days. I tried to get into the Angel game earlier this summer and they sent me back to the car to put it away. ...

Yeah, I learned the hard way too. Had to "check" my little Boker at a House of Blues show once. Then I almost forgot and left without it. Now if I'm going anywhere there is likely to be security scans, pat downs, etc. I just leave it at home.

When my little brother was a patrol deputy sheriff he usually carried several rather large folding knives on his gunbelt.

One had a huge regular cutting blade and the other "blade" was a saw.

Why? On rescues of various sorts the saw blade came in handy in the forest environment. The huge cutting blade ditto. I think more recently many "out of town" officers I know will carry a medium-size folding knife with a special end with a hard metal point designed to smash vehicle windows in case of a crash.

Also I know of several folks who used their one-hand opening knives to cut off their seat belt after medium impact car wrecks - sometimes for themselves and sometimes for others. One-hand opening is handy if you only have one functioning hand.

When I used to go deer hunting in the mountains, I always carried a big old Shrade one-blader modified for one hand opening - and an old Smith 6-shooter with my own recipe for .38 special ammunition to carry on a single hunt. Thing is, on one expedition I almost went over a cliff. That got me thinking since at the time there was a terrible problem with feral dog packs in that area.

So my special ammo I loaded myself had a very slow powder and hollow-based wadcutter lead bullets (edit: loaded base-up). Why? The slow powder would give me a flame plume 12-15 feet, the "bang" was loud, and the bullet would not penetrate far into a dog or deer needing s grace stroke, but would open up to nearly an inch.

Three shots is a common and recognized distress signal. I had two "takes" with the six if needed, and loose extras in vest pockets if I wasn't too banged up to get to them. At night the shot plume shows well, and in clear weather for as much as a mile or more, depending. And the combination of flame, bang and that bullet likely would slow a dog or whatever that shouldn't be out free.

I carried the revolver cross draw in case of injury to either arm; ditto the one-hander knife close in front of the hip right side so either hand could get to it in emergency.

Before the incident with the cliff, I only carried a sheath knife I'd made for myself, a drop-point hunter, that worked well to dress out a deer - or stir some bacon over a campfire. After the incident I figured I'd not be able to get to the rifle, so... it was up to what was attached to me. Carried a "space blanket," water and fire-making stuff and a few other "in case" possibles, too, in the jacket.

m

Just good "Boy Scout Be Prepared" thinking/execution to me. Bet those shots out of the .38 were impressive with that flash. How was the kick?

Aster

This is pretty much my daily carry:

http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-ER-Spear-Point-Orange-GlassFilledNylonHandle-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge?&search_id=1414648

Plus, a small Swiss army knife on my key chain.

When I'm out in the field I carry an old Buck 105 Pathfinder that I've had for about 40 years: http://www.buckknives.com/product/105-pathfinder-knife/0105FAM01/

I haven't had Milod's problem with dogs, but we have javelinas around so if I'm in one of those areas I'll add a .357 revolver. Plus the space blanket, water and maybe a few other goodies just in case. It's just good practice in most of the remote areas I seem to end up in.

That old "somewhat modified" M&P S&W Model 10 had very little recoil the way it was loaded. The main thing was for noise and that plume.

It's been a long time, but I recall that I figured that from the short barrel it'd still only be roughly 800 fps or less with the 148 grain bullet. Hoague grips which were pretty new at the time, but I figured would lessen any damage from a fall if I fell onto the piece, and they also lessened perceived recoil. I don't recall it feeling much different from a J-frame .22.

I normally even loaded .38 special rounds in .357 revolvers, too, except when using the handgun for hunting. Then each one had a different load preference. I did give up early on a scoped Mod. 27 .357 with the 8 3/8 barrel because a rifle was easier to carry.

m

I worked in London all my life and in that time I never saw or heard a gun other than the security police around parliament or state events. Certainly never one fired.

It's sad that someone needs, or feels the need to carry a knife or gun (this isn't a personal statement to Saturn). The US has gone crazy. Look at the killing figures. Just the polce killings are horrendous on their own. Then the amount of black people killed (the bulk by black's themselves). Something has to change.

http://www.theguardi...ther-countries.

us_zpskl3namjr.jpg

I think a lot has to do with where one lives.

I've lived in, and worked in American cities and similarly never heard gunfire.

On the other hand, when I had an office in Memphis, Tenn., - yeah, the Gibson place - we had a cupla murders within half a block and things overall could be such that one often didn't feel at all secure. Some neighborhoods one simply shouldn't even drive through; some I wouldn't drive through even had I full machine guns and an up-armored Humvee, and I'd certainly not visit some "night spots."

Where I live now there likely are far more firearms per capita than most places in the U.S. The only relatively recent murder was around 18 years ago and it was a torture-beating death among druggies. Some 25-18 miles away the only relatively recent murder was with a number of young males again beating another to death with stones. Nutso drug involvement again; meth as I recall in both cases.

Firearms simply aren't seen as any big scary thing around here. They're recreation equipment one way or another. Druggies are an ongoing concern, but not a fear if one isn't among their little groups; then I'd imagine all bets are off.

m

I worked in London all my life and in that time I never saw or heard a gun other than the security police around parliament or state events. Certainly never one fired.

The value of the human life isn't what it used to be , Standards have dropped !

4H

This old butter knife has a blade thin enough to bend as you spread.

BKLTE2.4L.jpg?68

Perfect for jam sarnies ;)

Hey we've got one like that! The handle is a bit wrecked but we can't bear to throw it away!

It's out go-to for spreading butter or Vegemite and stuff.

What a coincidence!

If we look at Larry's graph it seems that most counties are the same with UK lowest and USA way up above the rest. This must have something to do with availability. As I understand the USA has the right to carry arms as part of the constitution and guarded like life its self.You can purchase one in gun shops or even mail order.

In the UK you can't buy a gun and no one has one apart from villeins and even then that's rare. Knifes are used by gangs drug related but that's in various areas and at night. To my knowledge there are no no go areas for black and white people but there are muslim areas (not in London) where whites are, lets say not welcome.

I think a lot has to do with where one lives.

I've lived in, and worked in American cities and similarly never heard gunfire.

On the other hand, when I had an office in Memphis, Tenn., - yeah, the Gibson place - we had a cupla murders within half a block and things overall could be such that one often didn't feel at all secure. Some neighborhoods one simply shouldn't even drive through; some I wouldn't drive through even had I full machine guns and an up-armored Humvee, and I'd certainly not visit some "night spots."

Where I live now there likely are far more firearms per capita than most places in the U.S. The only relatively recent murder was around 18 years ago and it was a torture-beating death among druggies. Some 25-18 miles away the only relatively recent murder was with a number of young males again beating another to death with stones. Nutso drug involvement again; meth as I recall in both cases.

Firearms simply aren't seen as any big scary thing around here. They're recreation equipment one way or another. Druggies are an ongoing concern, but not a fear if one isn't among their little groups; then I'd imagine all bets are off.

m

I believe this thread was started with the intent to discuss the pocket knives we carry, not to politicize gun and knife violence.

a. Humans are humans, and human nature can be violent.

If it isn't a gun or a knife, if a human wants to kill another human, he will pick up a ball-bat or a crowbar, and he will kill.

b. Larry, your bar chart leaves out the countries with much higher homicide rates than the United States.

I'm not sure you were aware of that.

Your bar chart would lead the average viewer to conclude that the US is the most violent place in the world, and that we have the highest per-capita rate of murder in the entire world.

In fact, the US is below the middle of the pack when it comes to gun and knife violence.

Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-Tuesday-December-17-11.35-AM.png

I myself carry a small pocket knife, daily.

It is not because I want to use it as a weapon, or because I feel the need to defend myself.

It is because, at least twice a day, something comes up where I need to cut a difficult package open, cut a cord that is knotted too tight, or trim off a rough edge.

I am unhappy with large, bulky knives (they feel clumsy in my pocket) so I carry small, lightweight, thin pocket knives.

I have many, but the Buck knife and the Case knife depicted below are my two favorites.

072621.jpg

a. Humans are humans, and human nature can be violent.

If it isn't a gun or a knife, if a human wants to kill another human, he will pick up a ball-bat or a crowbar, and he will kill.

but would you be content for that person to have a right of access to (for example) chemical weapons?

but would you be content for that person to have a right of access to (for example) chemical weapons?

That is an absurd question.

It's not a reasonable comparison, and insinuating that laymen possessing deadly chemical weapons (like Sarin gas for instance, or mustard gas even) is in any way similar to average citizens carrying pocket knives is intellectually-dishonest.

MY point was that humans who wish to kill other humans will always find a way.

Blaming the knife or the gun (or even the ball-bat, club, or crowbar) may make some people feel like they are addressing the problem, but in reality, the problem is and always will be simple human nature.

And to reiterate;

I carry a small pocket knife as a handy tool.

Not as a defensive weapon, and certainly not as a weapon of murder.

That is an absurd question.

It's not a reasonable comparison, and insinuating that laymen possessing deadly chemical weapons (like Sarin gas for instance, or mustard gas even) is in any way similar to average citizens carrying pocket knives is intellectually-dishonest.

MY point was that humans who wish to kill other humans will always find a way.

Blaming the knife or the gun (or even the ball-bat, club, or crowbar) may make some people feel like they are addressing the problem, but in reality, the problem is and always will be simple human nature.

And to reiterate;

I carry a small pocket knife as a handy tool.

Not as a defensive weapon, and certainly not as a weapon of murder.

I didn't mean to upset you. I was just trying to enlarge the perspective you had laid out.

Sorry man!

I'll just keep quiet now.

M.E.,

1st off, don't keep quiet!!! We are all okay here with discussing different things & even apposing ideas in my book.

I don't think he was really upset, just exclaiming what many of us "law abiding" guys feel. We get attacked all too often with our rights for "sensible" things that we should still have rights to. And that was one of the style of loaded questions the left in USA are using that is now to the ridiculous (not calling you ridicules)! No FULLY automatic guns, Mortars, bazookas, poison gas, tanks, or artillery needed less the Army. Semi-auto AR's are in my book, my right to own & shoot (at the range or hunting).

I like hearing from all even if I don't agree. And, if I get mad, then it's my own doing. [biggrin]

Aster

Ya,, don't keep quiet. Never do that.

For what it's worth I'm with ya on the gun law thing. I have argued this here in the past.

It never ends well and either sides of the extreme have no common ground on the subject.

I just choose not to partake in those discussions on this board.

I also try and not read them. I just get angry.

All I will say about that is I am happy I live where I live.

Are we still talking about "Knives?!" :unsure:

When I was a kid, in High School, a lot of us boys had what we called "Italian Stiletto's!" And, some had actual

"Switchblades!" Some were the same exact knives, as the Stiletto's, only with the button and spring, still intact.

We used to buy them, new, in the pawn shops on East Douglas, whenever we went to Wichita!

fb-018_zpswes8nmed.jpg

I grew up, where I now live again, in a small town/farming community, so We weren't in any "gangs" or anything of

the kind. The closest we got, to "gangs" was watching the movies "West Side Story," and "Blackboard Jungle!" LOL

We just thought they were "cool," and loved to flick out wrists, to make the Stiletto's open and lock.

Whereas, the Switchblades needed no such action, beyond pushing the button. LOL

If I remember right (Who knows??? [tongue]), they were ok, as long as the blade wasn't over 4 inches, in length. So,

we tended to get the 9" versions (4" blade, and 5" handle). At least to carry. I think we all had one or two, that

were "illegal," just to be defiant! [biggrin] But, we rarely if ever, actually carried one of those.

Nowadays, I carry a much more practical Swiss Army knife, and/or Leatherman multi-tool.

CB

I didn't mean to upset you. I was just trying to enlarge the perspective you had laid out.

Sorry man!

You didn't upset me, mericiful-evans.

And you certainly don't need to keep quiet.

I have a bad habit (as a former moderator of a politics and humor forum) of analyzing arguments and points of view from the aspect of 'is this a reasonable argument, or is it from way out in left field'.

When I was in the Army, I spent a few years as my Troop's Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC) Defense Officer.

I went to some schools, and I learned a lot.

I just found the chemical weapons analogy absurd is all.

I got your point and all, and maybe if you had said, "but would you be content for that person to have a right of access to (for example) a razor-sharp broadsword?" then maybe I wouldn't have found the discussion so out in left field.

I didn't mean to sound prickly, and I definitely would never fight over such a thing.

I hope to remain your internet friend, and I hope to have a long future discussing guitars here.

:)

A couple of points here...

First, if one removes a half dozen major urban areas in the U.S., the figures would be much less that those in the graphic.

Second, the U.S. has not allowed mail order firearms sales, as such, since the Gun Control Act of 1968. It basically outlawed interstate sales of firearms, thus forcing all sales to federally-licensed firearms dealers. Many smaller FFL licensees dropped out of the business after that largely because of costs and other hassles involved. That included those who made custom stocks or engravings for firearms, etc.

Third, violent crime as a whole did not lessen in the U.S., it simply opened an urban black market.

Finally, we've neglected to note, in general here at least, differences in overall culture.

In the U.S., the "firearms culture" dates back to the earliest days of settlement, plus the mythos of the firearm as a valued part of family, regional and national histories. For example, the militias that were about as organized as regular patrons of a local sports bar, but they did take arms against their own government when it began to disarm the population and billet soldiers in private homes. Those were soldiers from, or hired by, the government of the U.K., who preferred a disarmed populace to maintain economic and political control.

My own family, for example, had the first known birth just after the so-called King Philip's War - and basically all males at that time were to provide their own firearms for mutual defense since a generally remote and uninterested government in the U.K. remained aloof. Roughly another century forward and another of my ancestors took his arms into a company - captained by his father-in-law - to resist the British invaders as seen at that time who sought to disarm the populace to exert greater political and economic control.

Etc., etc. One might notice that the first anti-firearms laws in the U.S. and - in the U.K. - were due to concerns of "lower classes" activities in far more populated areas.

Here's an interesting one, too. As a living historian I went to do a series of newspaper - later magazine - articles on Deadwood, once "Dakota Territory" and later in the state of South Dakota. I usually use a military uniform of the 1860s and 1870s.

I asked about wearing "the whole thing" uniform complete to sidearm and saber, appropriate for the daily wear of an army captain of the era.

I was told that the handgun was no problem, it's part of the mythos of the town as far as tourists are concerned. But the saber? Regardless that it's about as sharp as a crowbar, I was told to leave it at home since it might frighten tourists.

If that doesn't expose a degree of "cultural differences," I don't know what might.

m

Archived