Gibson Brands Forums

Knives.....

Murph

I believe this thread was started with the intent to discuss the pocket knives we carry, not to politicize gun and knife violence.

a. Humans are humans, and human nature can be violent.

If it isn't a gun or a knife, if a human wants to kill another human, he will pick up a ball-bat or a crowbar, and he will kill.

b. Larry, your bar chart leaves out the countries with much higher homicide rates than the United States.

I'm not sure you were aware of that.

Your bar chart would lead the average viewer to conclude that the US is the most violent place in the world, and that we have the highest per-capita rate of murder in the entire world.

In fact, the US is below the middle of the pack when it comes to gun and knife violence.

There's a lot of information in that chart thanks and I just wish I could read it! My eyes aren't the best these days. Where is Australia on that please?

Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-Tuesday-December-17-11.35-AM.png

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always "interesting" how these kinds of threads seem to end up with crime statistics, as opposed

to how the subject matter started out. Doesn't matter if it's guns, knives, or anything that might

be a "weapon." I wonder what the statistics are, on Fireplace pokers, as weapons, or Mom's rolling

pin! [tongue]

CB

I guess that in ways I view the way the discussion turned as a perfect example of culture and language.

In short, most of the original responses were from Americans who regularly carry a knife of some sort as a tool.

But the word "knife" in some of the Anglophone subcultures as well as English-speaking non Anglophone cultures, brings the image of "weapon" rather than "tool."

Frankly I always carry two daily, the larger blade for larger scale cutting needs, including foods (which drives my wife nuts although she recognizes the reasons for a higher quality than restaurant table knife) and my mini version of Swiss Army knife that has, in order of use, a nice tiny scissor, screwdriver, tweezer and knife blade. The toothpick got first prize when I had genetically-provided instead of storebought teeth.

Here's something of a secondary example: My great grandmother's name was Mary Messerschmidt.

Say "Messerschmidt" and most folks I know will immediately think of a German WWII type of warplane. I keep thinking "Knife-maker."

The way our minds categorize things is something along the lines of what "philosophers" call "ontology." '

I categorize a knife as a tool from my own cultural background and others categorize it as "weapon" according to their own cultural background.

Both categorizations are "correct" from the standpoint of reflecting culture.

The two seen in opposition can reflect a number of cultural differences which may be quite revealing, and are likely to bring out feelings that one's own culture is "right" and the other culture "mistaken." That in itself is a point on which to ponder.

For what it's worth, the only "weapon" I've used in self defense while playing music in a lower working class bar was the headstock of a Fender electric bass. I'd not thought of it particularly as a "weapon," but it functioned quite adequately in the circumstance without going overboard due to misinterpretations of the object used. Again, that's a cultural thing since, even using the headstock as a striking "weapon," it remained being considered as a musical instrument, regardless that it could have been used literally as a lethal weapon in a number of ways.

m

That's what's so interesting about places like this...differing cultures!

That's why I'm here actually because the differences fascinate me so much.

I agree with you. and it's great to have Milod back contributing so much. always a well thought out and articulated response from M.

It's always "interesting" how these kinds of threads seem to end up with crime statistics, as opposed

to how the subject matter started out. Doesn't matter if it's guns, knives, or anything that might

be a "weapon." I wonder what the statistics are, on Fireplace pokers, as weapons, or Mom's rolling

pin! [tongue]

CB

Yeah. I guess I can be real naive sometimes. When I first saw this thread, I just thought it would be a cool little topic of everyone sharing photos of their favorite/most useful knives. Had no idea it would be controversial. I assumed everyone in all modern countries were allowed to carry personal knives. I honestly had no idea other countries laws were that restrictive and some members would be surprised at the topic. :-k

Yeah. I guess I can be real naive sometimes. When I first saw this thread, I just thought it would be a cool little topic of everyone sharing photos of their favorite/most useful knives. Had no idea it would be controversial. I assumed everyone in all modern countries were allowed to carry personal knives. I honestly had no idea other countries laws were that restrictive and some members would be surprised at the topic. :-k

same here, I had no idea either. i've had / carried a pocket knife in one form or another since I was 10 or 12 years old.

As Digger said, I always find things very interesting & enlightening to read & converse (text) about. I'm GLAD you started this and controversy is NOT something to worry or avoid. If we do, then sharing of ideas ends. Think about how short the threads would be, and how BORING too, if we all had the same viewpoint. Just 20 or so of the [thumbup] or +1 here and there. [biggrin] [biggrin]

Big deal, just bring on the questions & idea in the lounges and forget the worries. As long as everyone can discuss ideas, use some restraint with our written tongues, it's all good for me!!

Aster

Archived