Gibson Brands Forums

"Geezer" finger end calluses?

charlie brown

Hi All! "Old Geezer" CB, here. [biggrin]

At 66, I find that my calluses are less thick, and "sturdy!" I play everyday, to varying degrees.

So, I don't think it's due to not playing often enough. More like they're harder to maintain, and

thinner, that those of my youth? Is this my "imagination," or are any of us other "older players,"

have similar issues. And what, if anything, have you found to be helpful, in remedying the situation?

Cheers,

CB

I don't have calluses anymore, but I only get to play about 1-2 times a week. My fingers are, however, tough on the tips from having calluses for years. When I play, they tender up a bit, and if I play for hours...they get a little sore. I'm 53. Maybe aging skin at 66 (CB) has something to do with it. [flapper]

I dunno,, mine are pretty tough still (58).

perhaps depends on what you're doing.

I play a lot of acoustic. maybe half of what I do on Guitar day by day is with a steel string acoustic.

[oh and then there's Piano, nope.. does nothing for this! :)]

LOL [biggrin] I (strongly) suspect it has more to do with all the other activities, around the house I have to do.

A lot of which requires constant hand washing! So, I suspect, it may have to do with how that effects softening my

fingers, constantly, wearing down my calluses? Just a theory, anyway. Might start having to wear dishwasher gloves,

or some such, more and more? [razz]:rolleyes:

CB

At 66, I find that my calluses are less thick, and "sturdy!"

As with most things as we age. #-o

I don't have calluses anymore... My fingers are, however, tough on the tips from having calluses for years. When I play, they tender up a bit, and if I play for hours...they get a little sore.

Ditto. If I have a gig coming up (generally three or four hours) I try to play a bit more to toughen them up. Last time we played three nights in a row my fingers were dying.

... Might start having to wear dishwasher gloves,

That will make it worse I think. Trapped moisture is the worst. I remember reading Warren Haynes say he has special slides made with a vent hole in them because if he traps the moisture in there it softens his fingertips too much.

As with most things as we age. #-o

Ditto. If I have a gig coming up (generally three or four hours) I try to play a bit more to toughen them up. Last time we played three nights in a row my fingers were dying.

That will make it worse I think. Trapped moisture is the worst. I remember reading Warren Haynes say he has special slides made with a vent hole in them because if he traps the moisture in there it softens his fingertips too much.

Could be?! Well, then maybe I'm "Stuck?!" [crying] Unlike some of you have mentioned, I DO still have calluses...they're just

not as thick, or tough, as they were in my youth! I guess, as with most things related to "aging," there's "Always Something!" [tongue]:rolleyes: LOL [biggrin]

CB

1447355723[/url]' post='1711114']

LOL [biggrin] I (strongly) suspect it has more to do with all the other activities, around the house I have to do.

A lot of which requires constant hand washing! So, I suspect, it may have to do with how that effects softening my

fingers, constantly, wearing down my calluses? Just a theory, anyway. Might start having to wear dishwasher gloves,

or some such, more and more? [razz]:rolleyes:

CB

When I was 16, my cousin told my mother: and don't make him wash dishes! That will soften his callouses and it will make his fingers sore. I need him to build them up. Thanks Fred!msp_thumbup.gif It got me off. Lol

I started playing again at 60 and played a lot learning all over again for a yr. and a half. Built nice thick caulouses. Then I got busy with a lot of other things, got sick for a couple of months and injured lower back and they went away. I've been trying to rebuild them but now that colder weather has set I have my arthritis setting in on both hands. My fingers are so sore, it's hard to play. I was surprised how fast they can go away. Finger picking hurts like crazy on the right fingers. But as winter nears, I'm dedicated to play a lot more. Ever play the first part of Stairway to Heaven with a pick? Hey, I'm getting pretty good at it, gotta go fast. Lol msp_flapper.gif

Archived