Gibson Brands Forums

Measuring the Resistance of My Pickups

Californiaman

Does measuring the resistance of my pups reveal anything about the pickups?

I found an old analog volt-ohm meter and was wondering about the pickups on my guitars.

I'm getting roughly around 18-20k-ohms for both the bridge and neck pickups on my ES-175. Is that normal for a '57 Classic Pup? Or am I way off. Any help would be good.

Check the ohm reading of the meter first, and then subtract that from the reading you get from the guitar.

To check the meter, just put the probes together and wait for the reading to stabilise. That's the resistance of the probe leads.

Does measuring the resistance of my pups reveal anything about the pickups?

I found an old analog volt-ohm meter and was wondering about the pickups on my guitars.

I'm getting roughly around 18-20k-ohms for both the bridge and neck pickups on my ES-175. Is that normal for a '57 Classic Pup? Or am I way off. Any help would be good.

You said that's it's a old analog VOM, did you zero out the meter before using it?

You said that's it's a old analog VOM' date=' did you zero out the meter before using it?[/quote']

I believe I did. I put the red probe into the ohm jack right underneath the adjustable ohm wheel. I put the probes together and then I zeroed it in. I think that's what I did.

It's been years since I used an VOM.

I believe I did. I put the red probe into the ohm jack right underneath the adjustable ohm wheel. I put the probes together and then I zeroed it in. I think that's what I did.

It's been years since I used an VOM.

Try measuring a known value resistors to make sure that your measurement is accurate.

Archived