Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Lim. Edition VOS

Stingraider

Hi all, first time poster here. I'm considering the purchase of a used 2014 J-45 Limited Edition Red Spruce VOS, which I'll won't be able to play before purchasing. I'm looking at the spec sheet from Gibson and they describe the bracing as: Traditional Scalloped X-Bracing. Was curious to know if this is the same bracing which is found on the current Standard J-45? If not, is it used on any other model currently in production.

Would also love to hear from any current or past owners......comments and impressions of this guitar.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Like any acoustic guitar, the make, model #, etc. means nothing since they ALL sound different. Play before you buy, otherwise it's a roll of the dice, especially with J45's. I used to think people were exaggerating about variation between J45's, but when I went out and played a bunch was really blown away at how much they varied from one to the other.

+1 on sbpark's comment about the variations. I know the Adirondack Red Spruce makes a big difference in tone for a guitar. I have a J200 Maple Standard (sitka) and an SJ200 30's 75th Anniversary (adirondack) and although the use of traditional hide glue throughout the SJ is part of the difference, I'm convinced the major difference in tone is the Adirondack top.

A wonderful guitar style, and Gibsons' have tricked them where it's knocked out of the park almost everytime,

I would buy sight unseen, without missing a heartbeat,

Only skipping is waiting while it travels on its' lil' journey.

Archived