Gibson Brands Forums

Best Tuning Stability Possible

capmaster

Thursday I went to Thomann and back by car, about 560 kilometers or 348 miles in total. Some of the roads are both fast and without speed limits - I drove up to 220 km/h or 136.7 mph -, some are narrow, humpy and in an overall poor condition. I had three guitars with me, my Weimann Blues Bird, my Gibson Quilt Top Les Paul, and my Ibanez AR 720. In their cases, of course. The Gibson LP needed a minor polish job, the case of the Ibanez a new handle as I described in another topic, that's why I brought them to the Thomann service.

After arrival back at home, I replaced the machine heads of the Weimann. The old ones were pretty worn-out after thirty years of dealing with .012" - .056" flatwounds for fifteen years and .012" - .054" roundwounds since another fifteen years.

When I had finished my work on the Weimann, I took both the Gibson LP and the Ibanez AR out of their cases before putting them back to their shelves. They were well acclimatized after the road tour now. I had tuned them both for the last time some weeks ago.

And now to the point: Their tuning still has been perfect. Definitely "recording grade" like I use to say. There was no difference compared to having spent their time on the shelf under living-room conditions. Considering all the tortures between -3°C (26.6°F) in the morning and +32°C (89.6°F) in the car parked in the sun at Thomann, and all the driving, this is really awesome.

Great guitars - I love them! [thumbup]

I notice that with my LPs too, although over some time they will drift slightly. My Sonex is always spot on though. It's built like a beast. The PRS is a pretty close second. The Strats don't hold up well, but for the price you can't beat them IMHO.

The Strats don't hold up well, but for the price you can't beat them IMHO.

Hmmmmmm.... Strats must like Florida. I've left mine in the car for a week between gigs, pulled them out of the cases for soundcheck and had them be spot on. Teles too. Though to it's credit the SG I often use for slide is usually still in tune as well.

My Les Paul sits in the case for usually about a week. Yesterday I got it out and started playing. It was in tune, but flat. Weird how it stays in tune but goes flat at the same time. I just check it with my tuner and tune it up. I'll bet next time, when I get around to it, it will be flat, but in tune again.

Archived