Gibson Brands Forums

Musty Mold Smell in Calton Case

mking

I have a Taylor Grand Concert BTO sinker redwood guitar. In March of this year I purchased a Calton case that was specifically made for the grand concert, from the original owner that had Calton make the case. There were no issues and since then I have had the guitar out to play many times. I have a few nice guitars so I kind of rotate playing them; never an issue.

Last week I took the guitar out to play it and the musty ordor hit me like a brick wall. I immediately checked the Calton and it also stank. The guitar lives in the case and in my music room on the second floor of my house. Since purchasing the Calton the guitar has not been out of the house and I keep the room humidified properly.

Since discovering the odor I've left the case open to air out and it has dissipated quite a bit, but if you get real close to the padding, you can easily smell it. As for the guitar, I immediately cleaned it with the MusicNomad guitar detailer cleaner and I left it out on a stand. The guitar is now 99.99% odor free.

I really don't know what to do with regard to trying to clean the inside padding of the guitar case because I'm afraid of what a chemical might do to the fabric and also the finish on the Taylor.

By the way, I have 3 other guitars and they also live in Calton cases in the same room as the Taylor and I have not had this issue with any of them. Have any of you had this happen and if so what have you done to resolve the problem. Thanks.

Michael

I have a humidifier and a de-hu in my small guitar room ( depending on the season) and I always keep the planet waves packs in the cases. I dont know the cause of the musty smell, but as a precaution get some a pack kit and throw it in the case.

So the guitar smells OK?

I hate to say it but if there is/was mold in that case, it's still there and probably on/in the guitar.

I'd chuck the case and get a new one. Clean that guitar as good as you can, and I'd leave it unccased for a long while.

So the guitar smells OK?

I hate to say it but if there is/was mold in that case, it's still there and probably on/in the guitar.

I'd chuck the case and get a new one. Clean that guitar as good as you can, and I'd leave it unccased for a long while.

Scootch,

I did clean the guitar good, twice, left it out on a stand and it is odor free. I have it now in its original Taylor case and it is still odor free. I think I'll try a professional cleaning service before I toss the case. Thanks much.

As Nick had suggested earlier, contacting Calton would at least give you a worst-case-scenario, and sharing that information here might give fellow forumites a rough (probably very rough, being Calton) idea as to the expense of relining a case. Anyone here who has taken a look at a True Vintage case with the idea of installing a more agreeable lining quickly gets the idea that the case would have to undergo a good bit of deconstruction to install a different lining. Add to that the shipping expense of a 3000+ mile round trip to Calton in Austin,TX, and what pjmacd on your AGF thread suggested in reply #17, the checking into getting a nice replacement case (even custom made a la Cedar Creek Case Co.) begins to be an attractive option.

It sounds like you're feeling better about the case now, after some initial attempts to resolve the issue. If you wanted a little piece of mind, you could try one of the Mold Test Kits, but you would have to dig into some folds/crevices of the lining to find an area to swab.

People who have overdone things with Dampits, or homemade sponge humidifiers have had success abating any mold growth inside of a guitar with laying a sponge that has a mild bleach solution in a plastic container inside the guitar, while the guitar rests in it's case, on it's back. Maybe 24 hours, or so. In general, Humidipaks may be safer, as the solution is not just water. But the combination of high humidity, in the dark of a closed case, at room temperature is the perfect recipe for growing nasty stuff, and is what may make room humidifiers a safer alternative.

Keep us posted.

I have various places in the home to store my instruments, but I've found that in a particular finished basement bedroom, it was necessary to switch to molded plastic cases.

With wooden cases in that location, I previously had mold/mildew issues, as well as tiny white bugs (the size of a grain of salt) feeding, most likely, off the interior glue within a number of the cases.

After trashing the wooden cases & going with molded plastic, those issues have been resolved.

Archived