Gibson Brands Forums

Comparison: Martin D35, Gibson J45, Eastman E20SS

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys,

I don't have it in me to do a song lately - I am burnt out.

I did think it might be fun though to do a comparison of my three dreads. I recently sold the Taylor, returned another cheap gigging guitar, and sold my Taylor GS Mini. I am down to three guitars in my office (my oldest son has my other two guitars). This is real quick and dirty, and simple. In order - the Martin D35 (sitka / rosewood), the Gibson J45 (sitka/hog), and the Eastman E20 SS (Adi/rosewood).

I think the Eastman is in between the two in tone - and closer to the Martin than the Gibson.

Hope you enjoy it, and I hope I mic'd it correctly.

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/martin-d45-gibson-j45-eastman-e20ss

Scared me there for a minute- 'thought you went all Grand Ole Opry on us with the listing of "D-45" on the SoundCloud title.

You're right; the Eastman does sound right between the long-scale rose' Martin dread and the J-45. As far as your impression that the Eastman may sound closer to the Martin; maybe that's the rosewood talking.

The E-20SS is a great way for a Gibson player to see how a short scale rosewood slope shoulder guitar, with a nitro finish, would work for them before spending Gibson dollars. Can be tried at a fraction of the cost, especially when found on the used market. The 1 11/16" nut can be a bit crowded at times, but for a dyed in the wool Gibson player curious about that assembly of specs, it's an experiment worth doing.

Nice recording. The sonogram graphic on SoundCloud makes it fairly easy to locate certain parts of the demo to compare the guitars. Thanks for putting that up.

Happy NEGD.

Scared me there for a minute- 'thought you went all Grand Ole Opry on us with the listing of "D-45" on the SoundCloud title.

You're right; the Eastman does sound right between the long-scale rose' Martin dread and the J-45. As far as your impression that the Eastman may sound closer to the Martin; maybe that's the rosewood talking.

The E-20SS is a great way for a Gibson player to see how a short scale rosewood slope shoulder guitar, with a nitro finish, would work for them before spending Gibson dollars. Can be tried at a fraction of the cost, especially when found on the used market. The 1 11/16" nut can be a bit crowded at times, but for a dyed in the wool Gibson player curious about that assembly of specs, it's an experiment worth doing.

Nice recording. The sonogram graphic on SoundCloud makes it fairly easy to locate certain parts of the demo to compare the guitars. Thanks for putting that up.

Happy NEGD.

Good catch!. I just edited the title to D35. PS... I have never seen or played a D45 in person...

Good catch!. I just edited the title to D35. PS... I have never seen or played a D45 in person...

I thought you had slipped a new guitar in on us.

The only time I played a D-45, I tried to poke the headstock through a moving ceiling fan. Got lucky.

It's raining bling. Or Blinging in the Rain?

There was almost MoP all over the floor. It would have been embarrassing, since I had just bought the guy's 000-28, and he had offered me his D-45 to try out. I got a bit carried away with the moment.......

Then there was the time I was picking up a guitar at an unnamed luthier's shop, and he showed me the two pre-war D-45's (out of about 90 built) that he was working on. I was almost afraid to touch them. Fortunately, neither was strung at the time, so I couldn't do any real damage.

Yeah, good recording there Sal, i think captures the essence of each guitar. The Martin had the thick bass going well and really shines on the bass notes, the Gibson brought character and honky tonk factor and Eastman like others said sits right in the middle. These Eastmans are really a lot of guitar for the money, really good value.

And I loved the sustain at the end of the J-45 piece, went on and on and sounded like an acoustic Les Paul ringing out ....awesome. [thumbup]

Thanks Sal another enjoyable shoot out.

I'm a fan of Eastmans too.Really like their parlors E10 (mahog.) and E20 (rosewood) I think they are called - excellent small guitars.

I can see why you are probably very good at your job...you are not afraid to buy and sell!

I thought the leg pulling and p.. taking here on your Taylor purchase was outrageous.I'm almost sorry I participated in it..............almost [biggrin]

Thanks Sal another enjoyable shoot out.

I'm a fan of Eastmans too.Really like their parlors E10 (mahog.) and E20 (rosewood) I think they are called - excellent small guitars.

I can see why you are probably very good at your job...you are not afraid to buy and sell!

I thought the leg pulling and p.. taking here on your Taylor purchase was outrageous.I'm almost sorry I participated in it..............almost [biggrin]

hahaha

You all set me right. Forgive me Godfathers, I have sinned...

1447819796[/url]' post='1712726']

All 3 sounds fine in these cans - J-45 with an extra shimmer.

Strings, Sal ?

EM7, the strings are all new to -3 days old:

Martin D35 and Eastman E20ss have D'addadio EXP coated light 80/20s. The Gibson has the new Straight Up Strings in medium PB. These are the same strings as the new ones by Santa Cruz. Everyone is talking about them. I think they are just "ok". Masterbilts will go back on next time around.

Archived