Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the Sheraton II

old mark

hey Mark,

I've had the weekend to get it setup, put my regular strings on it, and make all the adjustments needed.

For the money, man I'm impressed. Sounds great, feels great, I love the neck profile, very comfy for my hands. I think this one is some what better than my previous Sheri, (mid 90s MIK). Definitely better hardware and pickups. The coil splits offer a lot of nice tones. Pretty good setup right out of the box, the bone nut is nicely done.

Very pleased.

I will try to take a few of my own photos later and post them.

Congratulations on your new Sheraton II Pro, it looks like a very nice guitar! I have an ebony Sheraton II that's about two years old now (my first and only electric), and I love it it. I can only imagine that the Pro is a step up from there.

FWIW, Greg Koch and the Tone Controls were the headline performers at Guitar Fest in St. Paul, MN this past summer, and the man can really play. I may have watched his Sheraton II video 25 times while I was shopping for mine...

Enjoy your new guitar!

hey Mark,

I've had the weekend to get it setup, put my regular strings on it, and make all the adjustments needed.

For the money, man I'm impressed. Sounds great, feels great, I love the neck profile, very comfy for my hands. I think this one is some what better than my previous Sheri, (mid 90s MIK). Definitely better hardware and pickups. The coil splits offer a lot of nice tones. Pretty good setup right out of the box, the bone nut is nicely done.

Very pleased.

I will try to take a few of my own photos later and post them.

Excellent and congrats kidblast. I too would like to see and hear more, as you explore the new pups and hdwr. I seem to be in a minority that find the Alnico Classic pups in the Sheraton II, as in my '14 Dot, to be very decent sounding with little trouble achieving very respectable tones. I lowered 'em a bit and balanced the pole-pieces, sweetened up the clarity with little output loss.

That's why I'm very interested, as you used to play an older one and will have an internal tone profile of it to compare with the new Sheraton II Pro with the Probuckers. Those to me, are a high water mark for Epiphone pickups. Every time I've heard them I hear great tone, lots of output, good clarity.

I was looking at the Sheraton II last week, but got sidetracked - bought a new Epiphone ES335 Pro instead. Should be here late this week.

But now I'm still looking at the Sheraton...I have never met an Epiphone arch top I didn't like.

Hopeless case.

I was looking at the Sheraton II last week, but got sidetracked - bought a new Epiphone ES335 Pro instead. Should be here late this week.

But now I'm still looking at the Sheraton...I have never met an Epiphone arch top I didn't like.

Hopeless case.

we're all hopeless here Mark.. :)

let us know how the ES335 pro turns out.

• 4 months later...

My Sheraton II is coming up on three years now. I used to think about upgrading the p/u's, too. Maybe it's just me but, the stock p/u's on her seem to sound better to my ears now. I doubt a mere three years of aging can have that kind of effect on the p/u's, yet I've been finding a lot of sweet spots on her in the last few months. So, if it ain't broke...

if yours has the pro-buckers, your not really imagining things, those sound quite good just as they are.

I would consider classic 57s as an alternative, not because the pro-buckers don't sound good, it's just that I like the classic 57s that much.

I have a 1998 in Natural. Love it. All the gold has tarnished off but it still kicks!

Have to sell it though.... long story but I bought another guitar...one in one out....in this case its two out for the one in :-)

Might go up here in the clasiffieds if anyone is interested.

It was my first electric guitar back in '98. Samick factory turned out some nice guitars!

db

if yours has the pro-buckers, your not really imagining things, those sound quite good just as they are.

I would consider classic 57s as an alternative, not because the pro-buckers don't sound good, it's just that I like the classic 57s that much.

Nope, they're just good ol' Alnico Classic Humbuckers.

They sound really great on this Sheraton II. I don't even care if all the gold wears off, they're stayin' put!

Archived