Gibson Brands Forums

Bandmate of Mine Dies From Cancer At Age 54

capmaster

This is very sad news. A friend of mine, guitarist of the band where I am bassist and singer, passed away yesterday after a battle against colon cancer since June, 2012. He is survived by his widow and two children aged eight and eleven. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

As a successful concert manager and promoter for over three decades, he has been the first to present Joe Bonamassa on a Germany tour some seven years ago.

R.I.P. :(

I am very sad to hear that Cap [sad]

I lost my brother 10 years ago to a brain aneurysm and he was only 54 years old as well. We had no warning at all. And whether someone is battling a known disease or they succomb to an unknown illness as my brother did - 54 is not old. I am sad for you. My prayers to everyone affected.

All my thoughts and prayers, friend.

So sorry for your loss.

I am 56 years old now, and I like to think that I will hold off the grim reaper, by keeping the weight off, swimming cardio laps every other day, and eating right.

But cancer is the great, ironic, big-time "screw you" equalizer, I guess.

It shows no mercy either.

:(

As part of my church work I am exposed to a certain level of tragedy. Today it was working a funeral in the morning with my priest, and then getting a phone call three hours later from my priest who was offering pastoral care 60 miles away that a fellow parishioner had just been rushed to the ER with major league cardiac trouble, and could I drop everything and drive over to offer strength and prayer.

The thing is that even with compassion, training, and a wide variety if prayer books to draw from, I am still at a loss for words at these times.

I offer condolences to you and all of his friends, I offer the deepest of genuine consoling to his grieving wife, and I offer the peace of the Lord to his terribly young children.

I feel you. You have my blessings and what understanding I can have.

I guess..maybe 12 years ago, I lost a friend and bandmember in a very similar situation. Cancer, and a bit young. Maybe the same age as your friend. He was a gifted guitarist and songwriter, and the "soul" and leader of the band. He had a profound influence on me, and the others.

I could go on and on about the things he taught me. Taught "us".

It left a hole, for sure, for all of us, including friends and family. The "band" didn't recover, but WE did, and the memories and the music we made lives on with us.

When I think of it today, and for many years, it ALWAYS brings sweet memories, even of the hard times we all went through.

I don't pretend this is your exact situation, or pretend to know exactly what you are going through, but still, I am with you.

Archived