Gibson Brands Forums

Fuller's Country Western Reissue

MaplesOfWrath

All I can say is that Fuller's does really, really good re-issues. I have one of their 1943 SJ re-issues, and it's a superb guitar.

By the way, I've played several original CW's of that vintage, and they were uniformly good guitars. The CW, of course, is just an SJ natural with a funky label.

All I can say is that Fuller's does really, really good re-issues. I have one of their 1943 SJ re-issues, and it's a superb guitar.

By the way, I've played several original CW's of that vintage, and they were uniformly good guitars. The CW, of course, is just an SJ natural with a funky label.

Yes, I agree about Fuller Reissues being generally great. That's why I'm interested in this model. And it's true that the Country Western is akin to a natural finish SOuthern Jumbo, but some CWs have square shoulders unlike the SJ, and there can be several other variations. Hence the reason I asked about this exact reissue.

Here you go. I'm already weak.

o0v8dbbvfkjeez9xqi4i.jpg

blzwxj7loket3lors0yt.jpg

Well, what you have there appears to be a nice '58 CW repro, with a cherry body finish. The cherry body finish may have been introduced in 1958. The pre-square CW isn't just akin to an SJ natural: it was a renamed SJ natural. Same instrument structurally, exactly. And pretty much the same cosmetically, aside from the 'burst vs natural top. You'll have to get an idea from Gibson marketing about the name change. Brochures from that period probably document the marketing spin, but I don't have any of those.

Both the SJ and the CW went to square dread configuration about 1962. They were pretty much Hummingbirds without the fancy pickguard. The didn't have the 'bird mystique, however.

Well, what you have there appears to be a nice '58 CW repro, with a cherry body finish. The cherry body finish may have been introduced in 1958. The pre-square CW isn't just akin to an SJ natural: it was a renamed SJ natural. Same instrument structurally, exactly. And pretty much the same cosmetically, aside from the 'burst vs natural top. You'll have to get an idea from Gibson marketing about the name change. Brochures from that period probably document the marketing spin, but I don't have any of those.

Both the SJ and the CW went to square dread configuration about 1962. They were pretty much Hummingbirds without the fancy pickguard. The didn't have the 'bird mystique, however.

As far as this 1958 CW Fuller Reissue model, do you know if it's short scale or long scale, what the nut width, neck profile, bracing (adi or sitka, standard or advanced X), or top wood (adi or sitka) are?

As far as this 1958 CW Fuller Reissue model, do you know if it's short scale or long scale, what the nut width, neck profile, bracing (adi or sitka, standard or advanced X), or top wood (adi or sitka) are?

Contact Fuller's. They have been very responsive to me in the past about their re-issue guitars.

It should be a short scale (nominal 24.75"), like the original. If it really is a repro, it will have medium/low profile un-scalloped top bracing, and a sitka top and bracing. I suspect it's more likely to have scalloped top bracing like other modern slope-J's.

Original slope-J's from the mid/late 50's often have a dry "bark", without a huge amount of sustain or overtones. I've never figured out if this is the result of aging, or is a characteristic of the top bracing. You can obviously tweak these characteristics to some extent with the strings you choose.

As partial as I am to 19-fret necks and small pickguards, I love the look of this guitar.

Ol' Fred here had a great one (I think it was a '57), with one of the more comfortable necks I've ever put my hand around. Original neck profile would have been a comfortable medium C, with a 1 11/16" nut. Some people freak out that this would be about 1/32" (about .8mm) narrower than the modern Gibson standard, but the thicker neck profile makes it really comfortable up and down the neck. Don't know if they tried to reproduce that neck or not with this guitar.

Archived