Gibson Brands Forums

It's all about the pickups...

cliffenstein

This points out something that has always puzzled me and that is; why the third string saddle is further back than the fourth. The third string is thinner than the fourth no? So why the difference for the third string? Thanks - Steve [biggrin]

Mathematical progression of thickness to length if you had a bunch of progressively thicker strings the same pattern repeats on three. It is sort of odd and seemingly unlinear but may be just our way of looking at it. Something to do with the thickness and string length progression, the Greeks probably had it mapped out.

I never encountered such outright hatred as merely dropping the info about intonation proceeding in a step like pattern across the strings. It is just the way it is, there is no way for some strings on any guitar to be more forward or back than the usual thinner to sharp progression. It repeats in steps of three (with each new set of three starting a little more back or flat to the string nut).

The size of the steps vary to each guitar. Many forget the hard slant on Gibson bridge types towards the treble side so even if you have a Les Paul similar to one of mine where the saddles are very close one forgets the bridge tilt already to the treble side. Many some how got a notion I was saying to set intonation by sight, just not true, they are starting points, the amount of step in your saddles will vary to the guitar but will always be there. One of my LPs is almost straight across while another more abrupt stepping. If you have a guitar hard to intonate like a Strat these basic saddle positions get you in the ball park. Sometimes I find some Strats almost impossible to pull back flat enough on the 6th string as Gibson had the advantage of design to just hard tilt their bridge similar to an acoustic bridge slant.

I never encountered such outright hatred as merely dropping the info about intonation proceeding in a step like pattern across the strings. It is just the way it is, there is no way for some strings on any guitar to be more forward or back than the usual thinner to sharp progression. ...

To my guess you misunderstand people and the sense behind string length compensation as well. I still have hope you may find hindsight one day and take back your false accusations.

NO, sorry chuckles that is just your sense of NOT comprehending anything.

To my guess you misunderstand people and the sense behind string length compensation as well. I still have hope you may find hindsight one day and take back your false accusations.

I think this is the problem with you, OLDFART.

When you posted false info and were politely corrected, you took offence to it while not accepting or acknowledging the lack of comprehension was on your part.

Doesn't make you a bad guy to be wrong about something guitar related, but what's wrong is to insult others for simply correcting you, or your postings.

I have been wrong about stuff I posted before, and while it's sometimes a bit embarrassing, there really isn't a need to take offence or take it personal.

Dude. All guitars intonate relative to the placement of their bridge in relation to the nut. The saddles can look all kindsa ways. What is it the you don't get about that? I have plenty of strobes and don't need yours.

I have forgotten more about guitars than you apparently are capable of understanding.

rct

Nope, sorry bubbha, that is just not right, after a few hundred guitar setups and a million observable examples of strobed out guitar bridges. You are just not in tune, sorry man, live and learn.

I offered this insight merely to help out those who have problems getting things intonated or perhaps a starting point. ALL guitars follow the same basic pattern it has do with string length, thickness and mathematics. The notion that a thick string is going to be closer sharp to the guitar nut, sans the three step pattern, is just impossible.

Don't hate me because I am pretty. Been playing and setting up guitars longer than you have lived.

Nope, sorry bubbha, that is just not right, after a few hundred guitar setups and a million observable examples of strobed out guitar bridges. You are just not in tune, sorry man, live and learn.

I offered this insight merely to help out those who have problems getting things intonated or perhaps a starting point. ALL guitars follow the same basic pattern it has do with string length, thickness and mathematics. The notion that a thick string is going to be closer sharp to the guitar nut, sans the three step pattern, is just impossible.

Don't hate me because I am pretty. Been playing and setting up guitars longer than you have lived.

Umm...dude...

1) Do you know who this guy is?

2) While I don't know who you are, judging by your post and the wrong info in them, I don't see how it's possible you have all that much overall experience setting up guitars.

3) The info you posted in an effort to help others out, was wrong to the point of making it HARDER, and why you were "corrected", so as to keep others who might not actually have the knowledge from doing what you suggested, and having problems.

4) It seems much of what you are posting here that is "correct" you seemed to have learned here, as what you are posting now isn't exactly what you were posting a month ago.

Umm...dude...

1) Do you know who this guy is?

2) While I don't know who you are, judging by your post and the wrong info in them, I don't see how it's possible you have all that much overall experience setting up guitars.

3) The info you posted in an effort to help others out, was wrong to the point of making it HARDER, and why you were "corrected", so as to keep others who might not actually have the knowledge from doing what you suggested, and having problems.

4) It seems much of what you are posting here that is "correct" you seemed to have learned here, as what you are posting now isn't exactly what you were posting a month ago.

1. Who?? - Cliffenstein? - wait-a-minute...are you guys related?? [laugh]

Nothin' like a good 'ol panty-bunchin tonewood debate! FFS just let 'em at it, no one's gonna get hurt!

Archived