Gibson Brands Forums

Green Rocky Road (Cover)

Avery

Nothing definitive on the origins of this one, although some of the lyrics that show up in it derive from other songs.

Everyone under the sun has done this song, but Van Ronk is the one you usually think of. In addition to being a genuine one-of-a-kind, he was a fine fingerpicker and folklorist. He was a grumpy sod who smoked like a chimney, however.

I've told the story several times about when the group I worked with in 1970-'71 had a week-long gig at Gerde's Folk City. Kate McGarrigle opened for us--just her on the house piano--and I fell instantly in love with her. Who could resist that sweet soft voice? Van Ronk came in and sat at the bar almost every night--I think he was in love with Kate as well--and he wouldn't even talk to me until I bought him a beer. After that, he would hold forth--as he was wont to do at the drop of a hat--on the history of folk music in the Village.

It was a helluva time, to say the least. Certainly one of the high points of my short-lived career in the music business.

I never heard this song before. And now I love this song.

Avery, you were great. You have a great deep and perfect pitched voice.

Something about Galilee in a song... It is a word that brings down my blood pressure... And metaphorically a great addition to song.

Anyways... The song is "traditional", and originates from a childhood skipping game down in Louisiana. I learned that by reading a 1995 Google group posting, as someone was asking what the lyrics meant. Apparently there were many many verses, and folks added, and removed verses as it suited them.

Sal, if you love that song, take Avery's advice, watch the link he provided, then get yourself a copy of the film 'Inside Llewyn Davis'. There are a bunch of GREAT songs in that movie, 'Green Rocky Road' just one of them...

One of my all time favorite movies.

And, Avery...another great job!! [thumbup]

Nothing definitive on the origins of this one, although some of the lyrics that show up in it derive from other songs.

Everyone under the sun has done this song, but Van Ronk is the one you usually think of. In addition to being a genuine one-of-a-kind, he was a fine fingerpicker and folklorist. He was a grumpy sod who smoked like a chimney, however.

I've told the story several times about when the group I worked with in 1970-'71 had a week-long gig at Gerde's Folk City. Kate McGarrigle opened for us--just her on the house piano--and I fell instantly in love with her. Who could resist that sweet soft voice? Van Ronk came in and sat at the bar almost every night--I think he was in love with Kate as well--and he wouldn't even talk to me until I bought him a beer. After that, he would hold forth--as he was wont to do at the drop of a hat--on the history of folk music in the Village.

It was a helluva time, to say the least. Certainly one of the high points of my short-lived career in the music business.

Nice work, Avery--thanks for giving this one a turn. I like this song, too, but I never heard Von Ronk's version (until "Inside Llewyn Davis," that is.)

Nick, I love your tale! The only version of this song I had heard was the one on the McGarrigle Hour album (which is up there as one of the all-time under-appreciated album, imo) where Emmylou takes the first turn, then the sisters, then Lily (I think, but possible Martha), then Loudon (the youtube creds say Rufus, but I'm pretty sure that's Loudon on the 'does your momma chew tobacco" verse)...with the whole host of family and friends on the choruses.

Anyway, here is GRR from that awesome ensemble:

https://youtu.be/O08TDo2hKeY

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Avery you've got talent and you keep making me want a J15 when I'm desperately saving for a J45 [cursing]

Thanks, my good fellow. The 45 has so much tradition; the 15 is the new kid on the block. The 45 is an iconic guitar; the 15 has been around for around two years. For a lot of people, they have to get a 45. That said the 15 is styled after a 45, and you can see its roots. For me, I don't like sunbursts (I'm weird in that way) so the choice would be between a J50 or a J15. Which look do you like more? Or which do you like more "on you"?

Can you try them both? Is there an equivalent of the Guitar Center in the UK? The 15 has a bit of an idiosyncratic sound. I've heard one reviewer say that it almost sounds like a cello.

I love its sound, but it's a little quirky, all its own.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but just in case:

Although truth is, this video doesn't give me any clarity.

Archived