Gibson Brands Forums

going to U2 tonight

mickeybo89

I don't think one can "over-rate" U2.

They have been at this a LONG time, have written and recorded a LOT of good songs, and played a lot of shows.

At the same time, have put genuine effort into getting better and making good music, again, for a LONG time.

It adds up to a band that has a LOT of songs they can play for a concert. A lot of experience crafting songs. A lot of experience making (and selling) records. The means to not only do this, but also to NOT do it should they choose.

Personally, I don't know how a musician could not have a huge respect for them.

I know. Saw them when they toured Tattoo You. It was the last time The Stones toured without the assistance of a dozen extra players. The sad thing is I was so stoked to go and my memory of seeing them live is and will always be, that it was without a doubt one of the worst concerts I have ever attended.

I think a bug gig is like when you have a bug up your a$$ to do something, and you just need to do.

I have seen over 300 concerts in my time and the Stones were in the bottom three worst ..and this was the Some Girls tour in 78' I think it was or 79'...I have since read an article on how bad it was for the whole tour. Bad thing is that I like their studio work, but live they suck.

I don't think one can "over-rate" U2.

They have been at this a LONG time, have written and recorded a LOT of good songs, and played a lot of shows.

At the same time, have put genuine effort into getting better and making good music, again, for a LONG time.

It adds up to a band that has a LOT of songs they can play for a concert. A lot of experience crafting songs. A lot of experience making (and selling) records. The means to not only do this, but also to NOT do it should they choose.

Personally, I don't know how a musician could not have a huge respect for them.

I do respect them for their talents as I do for a local band, but that does not mean they are not over rated...

Yeah.. like most on here it seems, im not their greatest fan.. but they have made some great tunes over the years...

I saw a gig of theirs on live on TV a short while back.. cant remember what it was, Glastonbury or some other outdoor event...

Well I watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it actually.. They played like a greatest hits set list and it was all the tunes of theirs I liked.. Pretty good.. Just I guess not the most exciting band in the world but they do what they do well cant knock that.

They are out there doing it while we are on here talking about it.

I really don't agree with these kind of statements. A lot of musicians would be 'out there doing it' if they could. Things like luck and being in the right place at the right time make a big difference as to where you'll end up in life. Many other factors also come into play. Everyone has a path in life that they end up on - some great, some not so great. I'm not a big fan of U2, but they do have some good songs :)

Things like luck and being in the right place at the right time make a big difference as to where you'll end up in life.

Yep, what he said.

Lol...

Alright alright.

You make a good point. I personally know several musicians that can barely rub 2 nickels together, who could play circles around most of the people out there playing to arenas, who didn't get the same break.

I am certainly not one of them though.

It's just so weird having to admit I'm ww,,, wro,,, wroo,,, wrong.

It just that,,, I never am.

[thumbup]

Archived