Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro safe Capo???

SkyRider

I've used Kysers for years on all of my guitars. No problems. 20-25 years ago there were some problems with chemical reactions to the materials used in wall hangers, capos, and other items that came into continuous contact with a guitar's finish. I think most of those issues have been taken care of. Hope so, anyway.

being a relative newcomer to the guitar, I wonder if a capo would cause damage unless it was left on for long periods of time. I am not sure I am asking and also I would assume you are cleaning the neck after using for the day or night. Just seems like the chance of damage would be low but tell me if I am wrong here.

being a relative newcomer to the guitar, I wonder if a capo would cause damage unless it was left on for long periods of time. I am not sure I am asking and also I would assume you are cleaning the neck after using for the day or night. Just seems like the chance of damage would be low but tell me if I am wrong here.

I suspect you're right. In any case, there is no reason to leave a capo on after you finish playing. I've used a lot of capos on my old J-45 in the almost 50 years I've owned it, from old rubber and elastic ones to a modern Shubb, which is what I use now. I've never seen any indication of a chemical reaction of any type. but the capo never stays on the guitar when I've finished playing.

In practice, I rarely use a capo, so I'm not a very good person to answer this definitively.

Whats so good about the new shubb sal ?

Better than the elliott?!?!

It's just smooth, simple, feels well made... I think equal to the Elliott but at half the price. The contact bar is thin, and handles slight accidental string bends, and keeping in tune. I like having that style of capo behind the nut when performing...

It's just smooth, simple, feels well made... I think equal to the Elliott but at half the price. The contact bar is thin, and handles slight accidental string bends, and keeping in tune. I like having that style of capo behind the nut when performing...

That one is on the Chrissy List, near the top! I may wait for a brass option.

Does it take a 'blues bend' and return home, Sal? My normal Shubbs are the only ones that do. I recently grabbed a much talked about PW NS light and no bends, not even shaking chord vibrato, on that. OK for chords, pretty quick to move.

BluesKing777.

I have seen all of these capos leave marks. It usually comes from either leaving it on the guitar all of the time (that rubber can be bad after a while) or putting it on a very new guitar while the finish is still very soft. It will leave dents. just be careful, not lazy (don't store it on the headstock in the case) and you should be fine!

Keith

Archived