Gibson Brands Forums

Went Over to Mass St. Music Today

zombywoof

Plan was to have a soundhole pickup installed in my wife's 1960 J-200.

Anyway had some time to kill so I started playing. First grabbed a new J-200, Nah, did not float my boat. Then grabbed a 1943 J-45. I guess the guys in the store could tell from face I was not overwhelmed as after I put it down they agreed it was far from the best sounding Banner they had ever played. But then I got hold of some Collings. I went straight for the Waterloos both the X and ladder braced. Ka-ching, we had a winner - the Waterloo ladder braced guitar. Everything I love about ladder braced guitars but amplified. I really liked the wide open mids which decayed a bit faster than the X braced version but which also gave the guitar a lot of punch when you dig in. I swear this was the lightest guitar I have ever played. Hate to say it but this could be the guitar that may get me to part with my 1946 LG-2.

It's just a flutter, ZW. You'll sheepishly crawl back home to your LG-2 tomorrow, begging for forgiveness.

Beware the siren song of the flashy young thing......

I feel really sad when I think about how this picture would look without the one in the middle -- it would leave a hole.

LGs.jpg

Just sayin'

I feel really sad when I think about how this picture would look without the one in the middle -- it would leave a hole.

LGs.jpg

Just sayin'

The Waterloos were impossible to get after they came out as they were the'hip' latest and out of stock, otherwise I was pretty hot for one!

The LG1 on the right of shot would make a nice sister for your LG2, Zombi. Maybe cheaper than the W? The bridge on mine split in two a while back and I got an ebony bridge and bone saddle and it is just killer!

Just sayin'....number2!

BluesKing777.

I am not in any kind of hurry. What is always lurking in the back of my head is some of the worst mistakes I have made were selling guitars.

Well Woof, if you don't sell them you can't make that mistake. My wife is worse that I am in becoming attached to instruments -- she is still mourning stuff we sold 25 years ago.

That '59 LG-1 has a really nice bite!

Yea, for sure. A little bit counter intuitive, but for the kind of stuff we were playing there it really seems to work well. Just my blue collar tastes.

Really .... but you would still have another 199 lying around Tom ? msp_cool.gif

161 -- if you don't count banjos, mandolins, basses, etc.

Best,

-Tom

Archived