Gibson Brands Forums

Buying ticket for guitar air travel

brc

After days of research on travel with my guitar, I think I finally got an answer.

I will be moving across country first part of Jan. 2016, and I was not about to put my 1960 Gibson ES 355 in the plane cargo area.

My case will not fit in the overhead storage, so looks like my Gibson is traveling first class with me.

I was told by Delta airlines I could bring the guitar in the cabin area when I purchase a ticket for the guitar.

The remainder of my guitar (26 ) will be going with the movers, but again I was not even going to go for that with my Gibson.

The move is going faster than I expected.

I listed my house for sale, and it sold it 6 days. In fact I had two back up offers the same day as I was signing the papers for the first buyer.

But it is so funny, it seems like your stuff " breeds" because I thought I was doing so good not keeping things I did not use, but rather just get rid of items I rarely use.

But as I started packing, it seems like there is so much more than I originally thought I had.

When I get situated in the new house, guess I will have to do a real good job of clearing things out.

Look out Florida, I am headed your way !

Last October I flew from Orlando, Fl to Erie, Pa to play a benefit concert for "Strings for a Cure". Not a problem getting my Les Paul on the plane in Orlando or Chicago. Piece of cake. Everyone was pleasant and helpful to me. Not to my wife who was on oxygen, but thats another story.

Returning, I faced a jerk of a TSA agent that refused to allow me on the plane with my guitar, even tho it had been X-rayed and the case searched. It was taken from me and (probably) tossed into the baggage hold. The case was a mess when I got it back in Orlando.

I'm certain you won't have any problems like that...especially since you bought a ticket for your baby. My wife had to buy a ticked for her O2 machine on the return trip to the tune of $500. The airline then issued her a voucher for $250 on her next trip. She can no longer flies due to her illness, and we have decided to keep the voucher in case we run low on TP.

I hope everything goes well on your move Bill, that's one hell of a move from one coast to the other.

You know I got lucky once and was able to get my guitar in the crew closet on all 4 flights i took on that trip but it was a gig bag, you'd never get that lucky with a 335-sized guitar in a case.

What city in Florida are you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Jorge I am moving to Haines city just outside Orlando

I was not about to take a chance with my 1960 Gibson

I had it looked at by 2 guitar appraiser, one rated ir a 9 and the orher a 9.5 out of a ten so its still alnost mint condition

I read a story the other day where the airlines crew crushed a vintage Gibson 335 in the elevator doors. it showed a picture of the case crushed down to about 3".

i think it was some type of loading dock , but it was completly destroyed. i would rather spend an extra seven hundred for the extra ticket

Good luck on your move. I don't blame you for buying a ticket for your vintage guitar. I would do the same for my 67 Tele. I might be tempted to drive to Florida with my guitars and amps to insure a safe trip for all. I am sure the mover has insurance for the property you are moving.

I say gate check it if you aren't flying first class and are able to ask the attendents to store it up front.

Every time I have gate checked it (numerous times) I just ask very politely for the handler to take care because it is expensive. Never have had a problem and they usually walk up the jet way with it in hand and ask who it belongs too at the destination. I raise my hand and people ask to see it. [biggrin]

Very best of luck on your move. There will be a void in So. California!

Ah, the good old days are over. I used to carry my guitar on board and have it put in the flight crew closet. Last time I flew, I checked with the flight attendant an hour before the flight and she said they had no room. I had to put it in the overhead bin in a soft case and watch while people crammed their stuff on top of it.

I sold the guitar...

I travel with mine allot and its hit and miss I would say 70% of the time they let me carry it on bu i also am polite and don't carry anything other than a small leather bag on. And if hat doesn't work I explain i'll need 10k worth of insurance and they most often find a place and if your in first class honestly its rarely a issue they usually don't even ask.

What they told me was the guitar would go under "Cabin baggage instrument "

Because I did not have the exact date of the flight, they could not give me the amount I would be charged for the guitar, but it would be much less than a first class ticket.

When I get the date of the flight and actually book the reservations, then I will of course know the cost of the fare for the guitar .

What they told me was the guitar would go under "Cabin baggage instrument "

Because I did not have the exact date of the flight, they could not give me the amount I would be charged for the guitar, but it would be much less than a first class ticket.

When I get the date of the flight and actually book the reservations, then I will of course know the cost of the fare for the guitar .

That's why I say gate check it. Costs nothing. When I go to the airport I check in and tell security I am gate checking the guitar. They make me put it through x-ray and I take it to the gate. I get a tag for it from the agent whenever they are there. You don't have to go early. They put a green tag on it then you ask them to PLEASE be careful with the stradivarius that is inside and they have always said no problem. Then I wait for a minute at the destination for the gate checked luggage and viola, my guitar, unharmed. Probably have done this 15 times over the years.

That's why I say gate check it. Costs nothing. When I go to the airport I check in and tell security I am gate checking the guitar. They make me put it through x-ray and I take it to the gate. I get a tag for it from the agent whenever they are there. You don't have to go early. They put a green tag on it then you ask them to PLEASE be careful with the stradivarius that is inside and they have always said no problem. Then I wait for a minute at the destination for the gate checked luggage and viola, my guitar, unharmed. Probably have done this 15 times over the years.

Thanks Tman, I will for sure try that route,

Of course they won't tell you that little bit of information while they give you the run around on the phone.

Appreciate the tip !

There was a big fight about it in the 70s. Roy Buchanan was big on it, Mr. T. Caster would get a ticket for every trip. They made it no more than half price to buy a seat for your guitar.

rct

Archived