Gibson Brands Forums

New J-45 pickguard removed, now residue HELP!

xxx

Howdy, I just purchased my new (2015) J-45, and LOVE it! Sounds Awesome and plays Great!! The only small complaint was, compared to my Taylor and three of my Martins, the pick guard looked very cheap. I thought that maybe I had forgotten to take the protective film off , and started to try to catch an edge, when I started peeling, off came the thin film that was tortoise colored from the clear plastic base of the pickguard. OK, no biggie, so I removed this horribly cheap looking, (and now damaged) pickguard, but there is some glue residue that will not come off the top of the guitar. Yes I tried Naptha, but it just seems to push and smudge it around. Please help!

Thanks!

1448001925[/url]' post='1713331']

Howdy, I just purchased my new (2015) J-45, and LOVE it! Sounds Awesome and plays Great!! The only small complaint was, compared to my Taylor and three of my Martins, the pick guard looked very cheap. I thought that maybe I had forgotten to take the protective film off , and started to try to catch an edge, when I started peeling, off came the thin film that was tortoise colored from the clear plastic base of the pickguard. OK, no biggie, so I removed this horribly cheap looking, (and now damaged) pickguard, but there is some glue residue that will not come off the top of the guitar. Yes I tried Naptha, but it just seems to push and smudge it around. Please help!

Thanks!

I had this same problem... The glue residue will come off with persistent elbow grease and liberal naptha.

Thanks!

I have suggested this tip before. rub your finger along your hairline - forehead if you have no hair. Then use the human grease you pick up to rub off the glue. You could use a little cooking oil which will do the same thing.

So could this pickguard be a flubber guard? It sounds nasty. I have no ideas as to removing the smooge left over from the removable. Maybe a quick call to customer service could help.

Please give us your thoughts as to the sound before and after the removable of the flubber.

So could this pickguard be a flubber guard? It sounds nasty. I have no ideas as to removing the smooge left over from the removable. Maybe a quick call to customer service could help.

Please give us your thoughts as to the sound before and after the removable of the flubber.

Sounds like strange stuff, for sure. Think I'll stick with celluloid, and just keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Thanks everyone! I tried a little bit of everything and it seems to have worked. Now it appears that when they installed the pick guard at the factory, they did so while the lacquer was still not cured, leaving some divots In the finish. I was hoping to leave the pick guard off, but now it appears that I'm going to have to cover the area again [thumbdn] Customer service has always been helpful in the past so I will see how or if they can help me.

1448070021[/url]' post='1713606']

Thanks everyone! I tried a little bit of everything and it seems to have worked. Now it appears that when they installed the pick guard at the factory, they did so while the lacquer was still not cured, leaving some divots In the finish. I was hoping to leave the pick guard off, but now it appears that I'm going to have to cover the area again [thumbdn] Customer service has always been helpful in the past so I will see how or if they can help me.

2015 is pre flub. 2016 is flub.

GuitarGal is a great source for a j45 pickguard.

I have removed and replaced dozens of pick guards on various manufacturers guitars and more recently have found the adhesive to be more tenacious and harder to remove with naphtha. It rolls off the back side of the guard pretty well, but takes some elbow grease to get off the guitar. My thought is that 3M recently changed the formula on their adhesive transfer sheets because I have experienced the same thing when I replaced a guard with new adhesive sheet and had to redo it because I got an air bubble. Even a newly placed adhesive sheet can be hard to remove, so it has nothing to do with Gibson.

I have always liked the Greven Tor-tis pickguard material and recently learned that this is now being made by LMI (Luthiers Merchantile a great company that I have no affiliation with but am a loyal customer). They, just this week, started selling this material in the Gibson teardrop pattern, and they are playing around with the firestripe material. In the past Greven firestripe was 2 colors, brown and amber...they now make it with the 3 Greven colors adding red to the mix. Go to lmii dot com and feast your eyes....fyi a Gibson style guard can easily be made from either a D28 or D45 guard if you see a tortis or fires tripe pattern you like in one of those guards.

3-M doesn't just change the formula for their adhesive. They work with Gibson to develop the adhesive. When Gibson started using the flubber material they found the guards were falling off. I'm sure they had to strengthen the bond to keep the "New" flubber material from falling off. It's just another example of the "I just wanted to drain the swamp and now I'm up to my a$$ in alligators" syndrome.

It's strange to me that this material is so popular here. It is defiantly a major sound deadener. You pay a premium for Gibson guitars and should get the best. A J-200 with a flubber guard is just wrong. A J-45 with flubber is criminal.

Gibson's justification for using flubber was the Hummingbird design wearing off of the pickguard. So what the heck is rubbing off the J-45?

Hog,

I respect your dislike of the flubberguard. However, I think the OP's guard is the 2015 model... Pre flubberguard.

Now my J.45 is 2016. It has the new guard. It looks nice. I picked this guitar and bought after I played it. Could it sound better with a different guard? Maybe. I like the sound now just fine.

Hog,

I respect your dislike of the flubberguard. However, I think the OP's guard is the 2015 model... Pre flubberguard.

Now my J.45 is 2016. It has the new guard. It looks nice. I picked this guitar and bought after I played it. Could it sound better with a different guard? Maybe. I like the sound now just fine.

I can't see the problem as there are no photos. I do know that you can't peel a celluloid pickguard apart. You can peel a flubber. Might be a song in there somewhere.

If you're happy with your guitar that's all that matters. You don't need me or anyone else telling you what you like.

Archived