Gibson Brands Forums

Recording a gig

MorrisrownSal

Laying the phone down 10 feet away and you run the risk of it disappearing. I would befriend the prettiest girl at the bar, buy her a drink, and let her watch over your phone. I might recommend that you get an Olympus, or a zoom, with a couple of huge memory cards/ I have used my little Zoom thing in the past for these sorts of things and it worked pretty good. I'm assuming you don't have a sound guy / house PA that could just record everything and burn it to a disc?

Laying the phone down 10 feet away and you run the risk of it disappearing. I would befriend the prettiest girl at the bar, buy her a drink, and let her watch over your phone. I might recommend that you get an Olympus, or a zoom, with a couple of huge memory cards/ I have used my little Zoom thing in the past for these sorts of things and it worked pretty good. I'm assuming you don't have a sound guy / house PA that could just record everything and burn it to a disc?

I like the way you think. I will do that.

My wife is gonna be pissed three tables away though. Oh well... she dont want the responsibility, i cant help it... I'm just a guy with a guitar....

4 hours?

Wow, that's a lot to play..and record.

Do you run everything through a mixing desk? All vocals and all guitars? 4 hours could need more heavy duty than the phone, like a line from the mix to a laptop with xtra hard drive storage. If you just have the vocals in the desk and guitars in amps, you could put an extra mic on a stand out front and run to a record device - the mic on stand looks more official and maybe, maybe, won't get pinched.....

Maybe just do the last set?

BluesKing777.

We usually just record a feed off the board -- not perfect, but it can avoid a lot of problems. We have several Zoom, and we just use them for recording the feed -- not their mics.

We have a couple where we did that. link1 and link2. The first uses a Zoom Q2 -- the video was not good the audio was just a direct feed from the board. The second one uses an outside video camera and a Zoom H2 (audio only) recorded with the board feed. NOTE -- in neither case did we use the mica on the Zooms.

The video on 1 is pretty bad, but the audio is better than 2 -- pretty much because it was a better room

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived