Gibson Brands Forums

A new genre?

Lars68

Here is a new song I wrote the other day. I just managed my first decent recording of it.

It might be a completely new genre, protest songs for guitar fetischists... [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/of-wood-and-steel

Joking aside, I tried to write a protest song (kind of) based on my love for my old 1942 J-45 and the Kalamazoo gals story John Thomas has shared with us.

Like all my songs, it has flaws and out of tune singing, but I enjoyed doing it.

Lars

Here is a new song I wrote the other day. I just managed my first decent recording of it.

It might be a completely new genre, protest songs for guitar fetischists... [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/of-wood-and-steel

Joking aside, I tried to write a protest song (kind of) based on my love for my old 1942 J-45 and the Kalamazoo gals story John Thomas has shared with us.

Like all my songs, it has flaws and out of tune singing, but I enjoyed doing it.

Lars

Lars,

I am beyond honored by this wonderful piece of art that you've created.

I'd love, with your permission, to download the file and add a few lead fills and instrumental harmony lines.

The international aspect to this is beautiful. In January, the Kalamazoo Valley Museum will be opening a Kalamazoo Gals exhibit. I think this belongs in the exhibit.

Lars,

I am beyond honored by this wonderful piece of art that you've created.

I'd love, with your permission, to download the file and add a few lead fills and instrumental harmony lines.

The international aspect to this is beautiful. In January, the Kalamazoo Valley Museum will be opening a Kalamazoo Gals exhibit. I think this belongs in the exhibit.

No, John, I'm honored. I'm not sure the songs is good enough for an exhibit. My playing and singing are very rudimentary, but if you feel there is a place for it, it would be an incredible honor for me.

Lars

Lars, this song and all of your songs tell great stories. You're a storyteller when you sing and that's a great thing.

I particularly liked the choruses--both the chords you played and the way your voice sounded when you pushed it more than usual.

Lars, this song and all of your songs tell great stories. You're a storyteller when you sing and that's a great thing.

I particularly liked the choruses--both the chords you played and the way your voice sounded when you pushed it more than usual.

Avery, thanks a lot. This song was a little different. With the others I have had to spend an unproportionally long time trying to sing them in a passable manner, once I had figured out the words and chords. This time the singing came much faster, which I guess means that my ear is improving. It is still a little out of tune, but I can't do it much better. I have also noted that as I get more confidence singing my voice changes.

Lars

Well done Lars.JT's interest is a real nice thing to happen.Congratulations mate.

Yes, John's interest is flattering, to say the least. However, I'm only a beginner and I'm a little worried that the song would not stand on its own, without the Gibson/Banner/Kalamazoo Gals reference. With that said, I know John's a great guy, and I will have to trust his judgement. It will be incredibly exciting to find out what guitar playing he will add to the song.

Lars

This will be great fun!

Just give me a day or two to figure out the technology. I’m rather unknowledgeable. I’ll likely convert the MP4 to WAV, overdub in Audacity, convert to MP3, and upload. Make sense?

As I posted earlier, I’ve been humbled and honored by the broad acceptance of my little book. In addition to the BBC radio documentary and wonderful reviews in international press, the greatest gift had been Swedish Public Radio’s coverage of the Kalamazoo Gals story and its incorporation into the history curriculum in Swedish schools.

Kalamazoo%20Gals%20on%20Pop%20och%20Politik_zpsltuiwdyu.jpg

Pop%20och%20Politik%20Screenshot_zpstdoc30uq.jpg

Thanks, Lars!

John, please tell me more about the background for the first picture. I guess it has to do with womens's achievments and perhaps the feminst movement, which started early here in Sweden.

I am very familiar with the second picture. It is from the Swedish radio show, Pop and Politics. Other fotumites might not know, but the show incorporated John's story about the forgotten female guitar builders at Gibson in the 1940’s into a larger context of female achievments that have not gotten the recognition they desereve, in Sweden and elsewhere.

Also, John, just let me know whatever file format you need. I use a neat app called File Converter. It can give me basically any format there is.

It is also great to see you back on the forum, and I hope you will stick around!

Lars

Lars,

That photo is Pop och Politik's collage of women who've made important contributions to history. The program posted it on its website as promotion for its women's history series.

Might you be able to export in WAV? Thanks!

I'll stick around. It's been months since anyone from the mother ship has threatened me!

Very nice story Lars - in your lyrics, your work and artistry, as well as JT's interest.

Will make a great addition to the KG exhibit in Kazoo.

Congrats. . B)

@JT - I got my KG T-shirt a while back, thanks. And it's a great idea you have here with Lars. Congrats on the continuing success of your project.

Nice work, Lars--some stories just have to be told. [thumbup]

Yes indeed, some stories are to good to pass up. I sat down with my computer the other night trying to come up with a topic for a song. I have a picture of my old J-45 as wallpaper for the desktop screen. My mind was blank until I looked at the picture of that old worn, but beautiful guitar.

One reason I love guitars so much is that they are so much more than dead objects. They are kind of a vehicle for expressing oneself, which becomes even more important in troubled times. That was my idea for the song anyway. However, as for the song, the intention is probably better than the execution.

Lars

Lars, you and your neighbor really blend well together. What a nice song.

Thanks so much. Yes, she is really talented. She also played accordion to one of my songs. I just put it on the Soundcloud page. It turned out great. When it comes to music small additions like that can really make a world of a difference.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/way-up-on-the-hill-accordion

Subtle, yet effective. I'm very glad for our newformed little partnership.

Lars

Archived