Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 gig debut

merciful-evans

Finally, for the first time since buying earlier this year, my 339 Studio was gigged last night.

It was at a lively pub near me called 'The Spotted Cow'. My band Blown-Out played there last night. We played between 9pm -11.30pm.

The main thing is that I didnt mis-fret anything when moving up & down the fingerboard. I made certain I used nothing but a regular Gibson scale guitar over the last few days. It paid off.

Sound was very different. I usually use single coils or tapped HBs playing live. The 339 has straight '57 Clasic HBs with no coil-spilts.

I only used the neck pickup all night (I'm now doing this on all my guitars), its the sound I prefer. EQ (and other setings) had been adjusted for neck pickup use on my signal processor.

I used minimal gain. Zero gain used for most rhythm work.

Solos: The 339 sounded good. I had the woody hollow tones I like, now used at full gigging volume it had even more complexity. The tone had character, warmth and subtlety. At the end of 'Hard to Handle' I got feedback. It was 'nice' feedback that began at a 5th and finished at the root above it. It was under control & sounded great.

Band members usually make little or no comment if I use a different guitar, but I had some very positive comments last night from sax players & singer.

Negatives: A couple.

1/ Though the sounds were as I like, they dont cut through the mix as clearly. More volume would likely spoil the mix. The bridge pickup would help too, but spoil the tone character. Blown-Out is a 7 piece band, so its always a challenge.

2/ The fret markings along the neck binding were hard to see. They are dark red (as is the guitar) and difficult to make out under the stage lighting.

Interesting 'feedback' on live use.... [thumbup]

This is where 2 hours gig time is worth weeks of bedroom noodling

In many ways I have moved 'sideways' away from straight H/B sounds

My SG often gets coil tapped to brighten up the sound

Otherwise it is often Tele/Strat or P90 sounds

And careful choice of EQ and Gain settings to optimise the cut

Things get interesting when playing alongside keys and horns

V

:-({|=

• 4 weeks later...

I have the ES-339 Traditional Pro so both PU's are tapped individually AND the built in 10db boost. Don't use the boost much, forget it's there. But I am tapping and untapping the coils constantly and mixing the PU's differently as I play. Generally the neck tapped is my favorite and it does cut through pretty good. 57 Classic Neck and 57 Classic + at the bridge. No f-holes but retains that wood ES tone.

My ES-339 has '57 PU's. I noticed to "cut through the mix" I have to add the bridge with volume and tone down a little. Or if the venue can handle it...I EQ the amp to volume position 8 on the neck PU and crank it up for solos. This is more pleasing and not as trebly to cut through.

Music volume always seems to ramp up as the night goes on...ear plugs go on after the first hour and a half...LOL. msp_rolleyes.gif

My ES-339 has '57 PU's. I noticed to "cut through the mix" I have to add the bridge with volume and tone down a little. Or if the venue can handle it...I EQ the amp to volume position 8 on the neck PU and crank it up for solos. This is more pleasing and not as trebly to cut through.

Music volume always seems to ramp up as the night goes on...ear plugs go on after the first hour and a half...LOL. msp_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah a few adult beverages, third set, slinky women let the volume wars begin!!!

Archived