Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

NHTom

Well, I've had my share of great amps. Laney tube, Bedrock, Mesa's,etc.

But I've never had the real deal.

Went to check this one out and it was literally a nice LP plugged straight into it. Rip one big fat open A chord, and it was all over but the smiling.

Just a monster. It's got "that sound" when it's wound up, and back the gain off to about 6 and it has a crazy sweet rhythm chunk to it.

I guess after all my years of having "marshall-like" amps and effects, I figured I needed to have the real thing once in my life.

1985 JCM 800 2204. 50 watt. It's a Canadian model so it came with the metal switches and EL34's. Vertical inputs.

101_1112_zpsoz38rvrz.jpg

NHTom

Congrats, Tom, nice top! [thumbup] What cabinet do you feed with your new purchase?

Currently I've got a carvin 2x12, but I am going to add one of the marshall 1936 2x12's as soon as possible. I just don't have the room for a 4x12.

Of course I say that now, but I've considered thinning the amp herd a bit and making room for a 4x12.

Tom

... I am going to add one of the marshall 1936 2x12's as soon as possible.

Congrats. [thumbup] And the 1936 is a great little alternative to a 4-12 - and it's wide enough for a full sized head. I gigged with one for years (I think that's it in the avatar pic). I really shoulda kept that.

Marshall's are Great! Congratulations!! [thumbup] I used to own a '69 Marshall "Major" (AKA The Pig) Stack, in my misspent youth.

(Pictured, below) Sold it, when I stopped playing, for nearly 30 years.

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

Recently purchased a "used" but literally like new 1/2 stack. Bought the 1960A 4X12 cabinet, first,

and then last Decenber, I got the "used" (although you couldn't tell it) 100 Watt TSL head. Total

cost, was less than a new Fender Deluxe Reverb. [thumbup][biggrin]

DSC_91142_zpsd8738a73.jpg

Enjoy your new (to you) Marshall! [biggrin]

CB

I was thinking attenuator, etc, but with the master volume, it can pull off fairly quiet and still sounds good.

Of course nothing sounds quite like it cranked up........sometimes you gotta let it EAT!!!

NHTom

I was thinking attenuator, etc, but with the master volume, it can pull off fairly quiet and still sounds good.

Of course nothing sounds quite like it cranked up........sometimes you gotta let it EAT!!!

NHTom

I hear you. Really, we ALL hear you.

I never got into attenuators, but from what I understand, lots of guys who are truly into Marshalls are into them. If I had to so it all over again....

Just my opinion, but while these can and do sound good using the "pre-amp" distortion, the roar you get using the EL-34 tubes driven hard is THE sound...and you only get that when it's real, REAL loud.

Makes me think there is something to it when considering attenuators. And if I had to guess, this would be one of the amps, if not THE amp, that would benefit most.

Very good point.

One of the beauties of the EL34's

I'm going to get my hands on one and check it out. I think it would be interesting to compare the overall sound differences using the master vs. the attenuator.

NHTom

Congrats NHTom!!!!!!!!!! [thumbup] And the 1936 2X12 will be perfect for that as already mentioned. Beings that amp is 30 years old - if it hasn't had a recent cap job I would spend the money to have those checked. Now that you've got a hold of one of these gems - protect her. Can you tell us what brand of tubes are in there yet? I'm excited for you!!!!!!! And yeah - attenuator's have their place but - this girl needs to be CRANKED! Enjoy! B)

Congrats NHTom!!!!!!!!!! [thumbup] And the 1936 2X12 will be perfect for that as already mentioned. Beings that amp is 30 years old - if it hasn't had a recent cap job I would spend the money to have those checked. Now that you've got a hold of one of these gems - protect her. Can you tell us what brand of tubes are in there yet? I'm excited for you!!!!!!! And yeah - attenuator's have their place but - this girl needs to be CRANKED! Enjoy! B)

I got it from a sort of high end/boutique shop and he goes through all his stuff before selling. It currently has SED Winged "C" EL34's and Tung Sol 12AX7's

I'm really thinking the 1936 will do the job I need well.

THANKS

NHTom

Archived