Gibson Brands Forums

Flubber Guards? Please explain.

xxx

There were complaints about Gibson's engraved and painted pickguards - the paint and engravings wore down. So a few years ago Gibson came out with new version with the design painting underneath a coat of relatively thick, soft clear rubbery plastic - flubber guards. The painting was protected, but now some folks didn't like the thick/soft pickguards which were being described as tone killers. Some folks prefer remove the flubber guards and replace them with thinner, stiffer, more traditional material. The J-200 Standard is a model that comes with a flubber guard.

SJ22ANGA1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Good question.

Apparently for 2016 Gibson has reformulated their plain pickguards with flubber - according to Sal's post on xxx's other thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125795-new-j-45-pickguard-removed-now-residue-help/page__view__findpost__p__1713687

You sure it's flubber? It looks like a plastic transparent pickguard with a thin painted film on it.

The flubber on the SJ200 picture above (or hummingbirds standards nowadays) cannot peel off like this, since the paint is below a thick transparent protection. Instead, the transparent protection on flubbers can separate from the painted piece below, resulting in some kind of air bubbles or large areas that disappear temporary when you press down.

Other than that, they look thick but nice and strong.

Example of flubber issue :

post-73642-061543900 1448368006_thumb.jpg

You sure it's flubber? ...

On xxx's J-45? . . No, I was commenting on the 2016 models. As I pointed out in my comment this was according to Sal on another thread - follow the link. You should probably ask Sal for confirmation. And check this thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125852-pic-of-my-2015-j45-pickguard-fail/

I've got a 2008 J-200 with a flubber guard. Another problem with them is the edges tend to lift, possibly due to the sandwich of materials shrinking at different rates.

I've also taken a look at my more recent Gibbies, 2012 SJ & 2013 AJ, and those guards don't appear to be printed.

Archived