Gibson Brands Forums

Old fashioned fun

AnneS

There's a local songwriter, now in his mid-sixties, who made himself a hard living in Nashville a number of decades ago. At some point a while back, then losing a battle with alcohol addition, he returned home to North Carolina after walking away from a project he was slated to do with Chet Atkins. Anyhow, I met Larry Rhodes four or five years ago via an open mic regular, another older guy (who, also, is a Vietnam vet and a fine player of southern blues guitar.)

Larry, it turns out, was pals with Warren Haynes a long time ago (both hailing from this area), and recently, Warren got in touch with Larry because he wanted to record Larry's song, Stranded in Self Pity, which he did:

https://youtu.be/_Y7VjwXUH44

Now, I've had the pleasure a time or two of picking with Larry, swapping songs, etc., and we stay in touch. He's smart and funny and keen, and he has been enthusiastic about my songs, to boot. Last Saturday, he invited me to a small dinner gathering at the home of the daughter of Don Humphries (another Asheville-area songwriter who's made it in the biz), and I was in hog heaven, sitting in that living room with Don, Larry and two or three others, playing together and sharing our songs, old and new.

It couldn't have been more satisfying, just playing along and holding my own, and it reminded me of my college years, when gatherings with guitars just seemed to happen spontaneously and frequently. As in those days, nobody last Saturday had any fancy equipment or fancy guitars; just a couple of well-loved and road-weary ones. Even I had the good sense to leave my J100 and J45 at home, since there was nothing they can do better in a small living room than my '64 LG-1. Besides, to be honest, I figured that, if I was going to be fortunate enough to have a couple of seasoned songwriters listen to one or two of my songs, I was going to pay homage to the one that brung me. Without that guitar, there'd've been no song circles, not in college and not last Saturday.)

Anyway, I wanted to share and, echoing Sal, to take a moment, to start off Thanksgiving week, to thank all you Forumites for years of support, encouragement, and giggles. Good stories, good times...

Anne

Love those lyrics. Sitting around a dinner table with such a crew sure sounds like an interesting way to spend the evening. so, for curiosity's sake - what guitars were there in addition to the 64 LG-1 ? ..and yes, thankful for such a cool forum too - happy happy everyone.

Love those lyrics. Sitting around a dinner table with such a crew sure sounds like an interesting way to spend the evening. so, for curiosity's sake - what guitars were there in addition to the 64 LG-1 ? ..and yes, thankful for such a cool forum too - happy happy everyone.

Well, Don was playing the old Martin you see in this picture:

I don't know my Martins well enough to say for sure, but seems like a D-18, maybe? Top was worn and scuffed and dark; not particularly loud, but sweet.

Larry has some pawnshop Fender acoustic that sounds pretty good; he put a Baggs Anthem in recently and mentioned that the p/u cost more than the guitar. Jack (the local luthier extraordinaire) was playing a gypsy jazz-don't know the builder. Jack plays delicious fills and considers himself strictly a "follower-along-er," as he said. (I heard him backing Larry recently with a recent hog-topped Martin; pretty sure a D-15, but the guitar he had the other night had some kind of strings he said were pretty much the same as silk and steel.)

Don's son, John, brought a mando, but I understand he's a fine guitar player, too.

And that's all of us that were playing. There were a dozen or so other folks who'd come to listen and to catch up with one another.

And you know what? No one ever got around to guitar-talk, if you can believe it. It was all about the songs and, for some of them, the memories evoked. The "stuff" of the evening was the music and the playing and the stories and the company.

Here's a snippet of Larry, doing a studio version of one his songs I like in particular, called "The Boss."

http://www.cdbaby.co...hodes12/TheBoss

(All are really fine songs; definitely worth a $12 download, imo.)

Anne, I have very recently discovered the power of playing and enjoying music along with others. I have started playing now and then with my next door neighbor, who is a very talented lady in her early sixties. It is a great experience and the music improves the more fun we have.

Lars

Archived