Gibson Brands Forums

The J45 Grandillo

MorrisrownSal

Music Villa reviews the new Gibson J45 Granadillo below. To be honest I had never heard of Granadillo as a tonewood; to me it sounds like an after dinner drink? As a J45 fan (most of you are as well), I researched a tad.

Taylor Guitars talks about Granadillo here: https://www.taylorgu...oods/granadillo

Granadillo

Origin: Central America

Used On: Limited Editions

Granadillo is informally considered a type of rosewood. Sonically, it's comparable to Indian rosewood, but it's harder and denser, yielding an additional bell-like ring. The wood traditionally has been used for marimba bars because of its clear, chimey tone. Classical guitar makers later borrowed it and have been using it for at least 50 years. Pairing granadillo with a Sitka spruce top will yield clear, ringing, long-sustaining notes. It tends to be very limited in availability.

Goes Well With: A variety of body shapes and playing styles. If you like clear, bell-like tone and the sound of a rosewood guitar, granadillo will probably appeal to you.

McPherson Guitars describes Granadillo as:

Granadillo

<br style="color: rgb(66, 33, 11); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">

Granadillo is a heavy and dense tropical tonewood which reacts much like rosewood, powerful and rich.

Adirondack Tonewoods describes Granadillo as:

Granadillo

One of our personal favorites! A hard, dense Central/South American wood, Granadillo is known as "the wood that sings", and with good reason. With a bright, ringing, bell-like tone, real Granadillo is a premium tonewood and is in the same league as Cocobolo and Honduran Rosewood. It has a rich reddish-brown color and can almost be polished to a glass-like finish. Take your time at the bender and know your glues, due to the natural oils in the wood, and you will be rewarded well!

I am really interested in this guitar! I don't have room for it, but I am curious if any of you have guitars with Granadillo, and I am really interested if there is any discernible sonic difference between this guitar and the J45 Custom (rosewood).

Anyway... here is MusicVilla's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ_ZR8kpUYc

So- Eastman E-20SS; Gibson Rosewood gateway guitar, or what? ; ).

Funny, as I read the tonal description for Granadillo, the "pairs well with Sitka, etc., scrolling down on my mobile, 'was expecting to see the "combines well with" part to suggest the Kobe beef, or perhaps the free-range bison.

Bon Apetit

Not the warmth of mahogany or typical rosewood on a J45, but it does have a distinct tone. Tony uses those riffs in most of his reviews and on this guitar I hear a Celtic ring to the notes. Doesn't sound like the J45 tone I was expecting. In some ways, at least to my ears, it kind of sounds like a hybrid instrument. Gold Tone had/has a Banjola. A cross between a banjo and mandola. Real nice instrument, plays like a banjo, easy to play, but not a banjo. Sweet sound and kind of banjo-ish, but not a banjo......... Not knocking this guitar, it's just that I don't hear a lot of J45. I could live with a burst like that on a guitar. Looks good. I think this is one of those Gibbys that should have a different name. Great instrument, but not that similar in tone to a J45.... I think this is Gibson's way of offering something different. Good marketing, but maybe needs to have a different name. Based on this review, don't think I'd buy this instrument. Nothing to do with the quality, because I'm sure it's "top shelf." It just doesn't call my name.

It may need a bit of a thrash/or a week on a ToneRite......

An odd choice of wood for a J45! Could lead to disappointment if you thought you were getting the sound of my J, but if you knew....good luck. Maybe they should have done the Budgie Green, or this would make an interesting pair with the Budgie Hummingbird. Just remembered a Welsh pre- metal riffer band called Budgie...a while back, like maybe 1972...Anne Neggen, Anne Neggen! Perhaps you had to be there....

BluesKing777.

I couldn't get past the hand-tattoos and the charles manson beard; was there a guitar involved in that video?

Get used to Tony. He reviews a lot of good guitars. The hand tattoos are his latest. Three years ago, he had long hair, a short beard, and no ink at all.

This is what happens to you when you play a lot of guitar, and don't do much else......

(Relatively) new tattoo or not, Tony P. keeps the spirit up i these tests. Hope to see him clown a little again. Always a treat.

Yes, the term bell-like tone really makes sense here. No normal hog 45, but all in all a fascinating guitar. Including brown head w. golden Grovers.

One of those I'd like to see in 20 years time - mojoed, rounded, totally together, , , though it already seems pretty loose.

Side-note.

That much ink on the right hand-back would distract me while playing. Especially with such a complex motif as this.

It would simply influence my mind-canvas, which must be as blank as possible in order to project changing sceneries on the inner screen while covering different song-moods.

But as the guitar-nerds say :

"Your left hand is what you know - the right is who you are"

It's 2015, I think we can all get over how a person "looks" by now, or do the Beatles still shock with their "long hair"? Jeez, we're musicians, not IBM employees.

As for the guitar. Love the burst. Just OK with the tone. The email I received said 1.725nut, Tony says 1-11/16, which would make it interesting to me if I hadn't just bought that gorgeous 1964 J-45.

The Rotomatics make no sense. I'd be just fine with the butterbean or tulips.

Still, it's a move in a solid direction. No mention of price, as Gibson shoots themselves in the proverbial foot over and over and does not allow pricing to be posted. But anyone know? If it's reasonable, they have at least a triple. If it's over 3K, they have a single. Over 4K, they've struck out.

Still, it's a move in a solid direction. No mention of price, as Gibson shoots themselves in the proverbial foot over and over and does not allow pricing to be posted. But anyone know? If it's reasonable, they have at least a triple. If it's over 3K, they have a single. Over 4K, they've struck out.

MSRP: $2799. So is that a double with third base on a passed ball?

Gibson Granadillo. Not to be confused with the Gibson Armadillo:

armadillo+guitar.jpg

Whoever is keeping the J-45 model list these days: are we over 60 yet?

Sounds like a Taylor to me.

But on this laptop, ALL acoustics sound like Taylor's.

Regardless, I don't think one should be judging the sound using anything but their own ears...as in, in person. All that could be done is a rough guess or comparison otherwise.

But, what I think is cool about the whole thing, is they made one so we COULD compare. Even calling it a J-45 (with different wood) lends itself to comparing it to a J-45, to compare different wood.

SOMEBODY has to.

Sounds kinda Martiny in the twangy punch. But then, kinda gibsony without the mid growling, making more chime. But what do I know?

I actually thought it had hints of walnut to the sound with perhaps a diminished treble. Certainly not unpleasant by any means but quite different from mahogany or rosewood (or maple). I like the burst on it. I wonder what it is. Cherry? Iced tea? Autumn Sunset? They have several that look similar but apparently have different name...

You guys are so judgy of Tony. We all wish we could be like him. If we can't admit it, we judge instead. (Who wouldn't want to play guitar and do guitar-related things all day and make a decent living at it?)

It's Autumn Burst. It does look a little like Iced Tea J45. I really like it. However, what I don't need at the moment is another Gibson Acoustic! (keep telling myself that).

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Granadillo.aspx

From Taylors Site:

Granadillo is informally considered a type of rosewood. Sonically, it’s comparable to Indian rosewood, but it’s harder and denser, yielding an additional bell-like ring. The wood traditionally has been used for marimba bars because of its clear, chimey tone. Classical guitar makers later borrowed it and have been using it for at least 50 years. Pairing granadillo with a Sitka spruce top will yield clear, ringing, long-sustaining notes. It tends to be very limited in availability.

Goes Well With: A variety of body shapes and playing styles. If you like clear, bell-like tone and the sound of a rosewood guitar, granadillo will probably appeal to you.

Archived