Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Warranty question

PEJ

Hello,

New member here.

I have a 1993 Gibson Gospel that I bought new from a dealer. If I decide to install a pickup which requires me to drill a hole at the strap button will that action void my warranty?

Thanks.

Hello,

New member here.

I have a 1993 Gibson Gospel that I bought new from a dealer. If I decide to install a pickup which requires me to drill a hole at the strap button will that action void my warranty?

Thanks.

I would think that you would need to take it to an authorized dealer, at least I would want to in case you need to have recourse for any reason. but that is just my opinion...there are people here that will come along and answer that know for sure...believe me some of the people here are amazing with their knowledge etc.

The act of installing a PU will not void the warranty. If the PU is installed incorrectly and causes a problem that would not be covered under warranty. Go to an experienced Luthier who has a good reputation and has installed many PU's and there should not be a problem.

All the best.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, what about installing strap button on the neck?? What is your opinion of doing so? Thanks

Jeremy, Who and when will tell us if'n "it" was installed correctly? Incorrectly after it is done? Correctly before it is done? Seems we never get true and honest answer.

edit: tell us who are the "Good Luthiers" and are accepted by "Gibson Montana"!

What Jeremy is saying is that if someone hacks it up, Gibson isn't going to cover any resulting damage. I suspect they leave it up to you to make sure you pick someone who knows what he is doing. Or, you could take it to a Gibson-authorized warranty repair station, if they still have such things.

Since the OP bought the guitar new from an authorized dealer, that might be a good place to start, assuming that dealer is still in business.

Jeremy is just trying to be helpful, but obviously isn't going to give blanket approval to modifications in this forum.

Jeremy, Who and when will tell us if'n "it" was installed correctly? Incorrectly after it is done? Correctly before it is done? Seems we never get true and honest answer.

edit: tell us who are the "Good Luthiers" and are accepted by "Gibson Montana"!

Hi Martin1940D28,

I do not believe I was vague or dishonest with the answer that I gave. Many guitar owners believe they can do work on their guitars themselves. What seems like a simple screw into the heel can turn into a cracked heel, lacquer checks or even a strap that won't hold. Go to a professional who has a good reputation to have the work done.

if you would like to let us know where you live I would be happy to provide you with some contact info for some reputable Luthiers in you area.

All the best

JM

As far as Jeremy is concerned, I've always received and read honest answers and opinions. I might not have always liked the answer, but it was honest and truthful. When we're just reading text it's easy to take something we don't agree with as personal when it was never intended that way.

I was really happy to hear Jeremy's answer. I've seen convoluted talk and answers about this on the internet before and had wondered. Jeremy lays it out pretty simply, though. If there are problems because of something Gibson has done, Gibson foots the bill; if there are problems because of something you or a luthier have done, you foot the bill.

But if you get a pickup put in wrong, or install a strap button wrong yourself, and the neck falls off, and the neck falling off has nothing to do with the strap button or pickup... that is covered because it's a factory deal.

Makes senses to me. Lifetime warranty to the original owner on Gibson's work and manufacturing, even if you decide to install an iced tea maker at the neck heel (as long as what you want the warranty to cover was not caused by your iced tea maker, stripper pole, or humbucker on the headstock).

• 1 month later...

As life goes on, we must learn our place in society, and not upset the apple cart,or the bearers of such. I thought I would have been banned much longer ago as I've upset the "sacred" here. Even "Nikita" let me speak without banning me or answering my "doubts". How many coy "people"?? are enjoying this censors exclusion of my ha ha, "freedom of speech", how long will the elite allow this to to remain on their holiest of all "forums".

I try to be civil and non vulgar. My chip left my shoulder over 40 years ago along with some crimson and a tooth, Still miss this guy today. I love how many folks answer questions directed to others with their expert answers, and believe me, some are beauties. As of today, I'm taking sweetness pills and will refrain from, or try to refrain from my caustic posts. Please tell me,folks, where can I get the smart pills so many of you have acquired over the past 5 years. I shall hereby refrain from my caustic and "trolling" posts, mainly to appease the Gibson "peanut gallery. Just remember, I've been a Gibson player since before your folks reached puberty! I just had my 3rd sweetness pill, and boy it's working. Another dozen, before my next post, and I'll be right in this limelight. You are my heroes!!

Martin 1940D28

I try to be civil and non vulgar. My chip left my shoulder over 40 years ago along with some crimson and a tooth, Still miss this guy today. I love how many folks answer questions directed to others with their expert answers, and believe me, some are beauties. As of today, I'm taking sweetness pills and will refrain from, or try to refrain from my caustic posts. Please tell me,folks, where can I get the smart pills so many of you have acquired over the past 5 years. I shall hereby refrain from my caustic and "trolling" posts, mainly to appease the Gibson "peanut gallery. Just remember, I've been a Gibson player since before your folks reached puberty! I just had my 3rd sweetness pill, and boy it's working. Another dozen, before my next post, and I'll be right in this limelight. You are my heroes!!

Martin 1940D28

Sure, there are many of armchair experts here, but there are plenty of "real" experts here as well, with decades of experience. Think of folks like Tom Barnwell, who shares his expertise almost daily, and probably has one of the two or three best collections of vintage Gibsons and Martins in the world. Don't belittle folks like that.

I'm not the world's greatest expert on Gibson guitars, and I'm far from being one of the better players here. But I celebrate (and I do celebrate) 50 years of Gibson ownership this year. And I still have that original 1948 J-45 in my herd.

There's lots more knowledge and experience here than you give us credit for. Take a chill pill, and enjoy the ride. It won't hurt one bit. And you might actually learn something from time to time. None of us knows everything.

Archived