Gibson Brands Forums

Stairway to Heaven

daveinspain

I love that song. It was the first song I tried to learn in steps on the internet at 60. Over two years, off and on practicing that song. At first I didn't think I would ever get it, was never a finger style player but I have improved a lot. Really doubt I can ever learn the solos though. I would love to be able to play half as good as Jimmy Page. He is one of the best. msp_thumbup.gif

I love that song. It was the first song I tried to learn in steps on the internet at 60. Over two years, off and on practicing that song. At first I didn't think I would ever get it, was never a finger style player but I have improved a lot. Really doubt I can ever learn the solos though. I would love to be able to play half as good as Jimmy Page. He is one of the best. msp_thumbup.gif

Jimmy Page and Joe Walsh are my two favorites

4H

1448733868[/url]' post='1716217']

Jimmy Page and Joe Walsh are my two favorites

4H

I love Joe Walsh too. The wife and I have been to 3 Eagles concerts. Every one has been superb. I love Pink Floyd. We went to the Wall concert and I love the Comfotably Numb song performed on top of the wall. Santana also. Actually, anyone who can play the guitar very well, I stand in awe over. But we've heard some fantastic Guitar, Drum and Key Board players. Saw Fleet Wood twice. Actually to tell the truth 4H, I would love to hear you play and many more here too, msp_thumbup.gif

When I was in high school, sluffing my guitar with me all the time, I was often asked to play this song, and often did.

I think what Mr. Page says about many playing the song with such passion and feeling is spot on. Although, it doesn't mean I didn't get tired of playing it over and over and over....

I think, what I admire most about Mr. Page, and Zep, is the songs they did and the way they made them are easy to learn, easy to play by others, and could be PLAYED by others. The mark of a good songsmith, in my opinion.

Fantastic. I don't think I've ever heard Jimmy speak before!

Certainly in my top 3 guitar heroes. Looked like he was really reminiscing.

The quintessential example of a song that starts out simply and builds energy.

Thanks for that

How i wrote Stairway, i took a riff from Spirit, then wrote my own lyrics and credited myself with making the music.

Yeah that Spirit song sort of sounds like the opening to Stairway but it's more a natural walk down chord progression any guitarist might play or stumble on while tinkering around… In no way is it near what Jimmy wrote, sorry… Jimmy, you have my blessings...

Yeah that Spirit song sort of sounds like the opening to Stairway but it's more a natural walk down chord progression any guitarist might play or stumble on while tinkering around… In no way is it near what Jimmy wrote, sorry… Jimmy, you have my blessings...

[thumbup]

I was only teasing, but the irony is spirit actually took that riff from someone else also. [biggrin]

Archived