Gibson Brands Forums

SG FIXED BRIDGE POSITION

JIMMYGJR

I have been playing guitar for years. I feel foolish needing to ask this question. I have a 2001 SG Special. I unstrung the guitar and noticed that the bridge intonation screws were facing the neck and not the butt of the guitar which is the normal position of a fixed bridge. I looked closely at the bridge and saw that if I put the bridge back on the correct way (Screws facing butt of guitar), the thicker slots would be on the high e side and very thin slots on the low e side.

I had never removed the bridge before having replaced one string at a time so the guitar came from the factory this way. I've seen SG copies with the screws facing the headstock, but never a Gibson. Do I replace the bridge the way it should be risking the low E slipping out of the slot or do I replace the bridge as it came from the factory? Has anyone ever seen a Gibson SG with the bridge on backwards? HELP NEEDED???

If the bridge has a spring/clip retainer that holds the adjustment screws in place it's an ABR-1 bridge and is meant to have the adjustment screws face the neck. If not it's a Nashville bridge that could've been installed more properly with the screws facing the stop. If you decide to flip the Nashville bridge, switch the saddle positions so the slots are correct.

ABR-1:

PBBR-015.JPG

Nashville:

gbpbbr030-xl.jpg

Archived