Gibson Brands Forums

trouble finding this...

mr newhaven

hey everyone...

i posted this on the gibson pick-up section but to no avail...i figure ill try here...

i have a VM and love it dearly!

i recently saw a pic of an old gibson...

and it had humbucker covers with the "gibson" logo etched into them...it looked very cool...

and i wanted to find a pair to put over my BBucker Pros...

anyone know what i am talking about and where i can find them??

thanks in advance...

They were actually stamped into the covers during production. Freddy King had a set on a 355. I remember seeing them on full-size humbuckers, mainly on gold hardware models, in the '70s and they occasionally come up, usually still attached to the p'ups, on ebay. I don't think Gibson currently offer them as spares.

wow!

you guys are great in terms of your response times!

this is why i keep coming to this forum like 343 times a day!

it sucks though because i think both of you are right!

why is it so hard to just stamp that on a bunch of covers...throw it up on your site...and if they sell its like extra money...

if gibson can offer the standard covers why not charge like 10 bucks more for the stamped ones...i'd buy it...and im sure others would too!

i bet its so they can keep those 70's models collectible

I doubt Gibson is interested in keeping old guitars collectible except so that they can keep charging extra for reissues.

I have no idea what the demand is for those covers but you can bet that Gibson would be offering them if the demand was high enough. If they did make them, I suspect that they'd mainly be an item that they'd use for reissues and there's a much bigger market for 50's reissues than there is for Norlin era Gibsons. If I were you, I'd watch Ebay and see if they turn up either as just covers or the entire pickup.

I dont know... there are some parts gibson has never sold, maybe they think is not worth it (for them to make any part they have to be sure they will actually sell more than a million of them, I supose).

I love some gibson parts but they are made in chrome and gold only... and I want them in nickel... but they just dont make them =P~

"Gibson" stamped Humbucker covers arrived the same year "Made IN USA" stamp arrived. It was a response to the flood on the market of Asian Gibson clones in the early 1970's (Ibanez, Univox, Aria, Electra) It lasted roughly 2 years 1970-1972.

At the time, most players felt these stamped covers detracted from the Classic Gibson esthetics, so the practice was abandoned in mid 1972

hey everyone...

i posted this on the gibson pick-up section but to no avail...i figure ill try here...

i have a VM and love it dearly!

i recently saw a pic of an old gibson...

and it had humbucker covers with the "gibson" logo etched into them...it looked very cool...

and i wanted to find a pair to put over my BBucker Pros...

anyone know what i am talking about and where i can find them??

thanks in advance...

Here they are - but get ready for some sticker shock:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1901591

ttfn

8)

Archived