Gibson Brands Forums

Playing seated...

ksdaddy

I don't know why I never noticed before, but tonight I was playing my big fat Gretsch (17" body) and I fidgeted the whole time. Seems like I'm never comfortable with a J200 sitting down either...or any other 17" like a big archtop. I'm constantly wrestling with it, trying not to relax my grip on it so it flips off my leg or the headstock flips up and takes me in the forehead.

Weird I know, but it's quite a revelation.

Anyone else?

Standing it makes no difference but sitting on the couch noodling, a big fat guitar is a pain in the butt.

Good topic, Daddy. I literally always play sitting-down. At home in a recliner or on the sofa. At gigs on a bar stool like you find in coffeehouses. Never had an issue with the J150 or the Epi EJ200, but I've got friends who would love to own one of the big guitars, but they say they are uncomfortable to play because of their size. Part of the issue probably has to do with the overall size of the individual and their arm length. Someone with a big belly and short arms will likely struggle to play one of the super jumbo size instruments. While I don't have an issue playing them in a recliner or on the sofa, I do find the dreadnaught size easier to keep in position. While sitting on a stool, the big guitars are a good fit because my torso is long enough that I kind of lean over them, plus my arms are long. No problems standing-up or sitting, except for the real sweet Ovation I had for a few months...........On the other end of the spectrum, I can't get comfortable holding the smaller guitars.

Yeah...always, always strapped. From the headstock not the the neck block so when you go hands-free the head doesn't drop. I've become comfortable hiking the guitar up real high under my boob so the frets are almost right up in my face.

I no longer own any dreads, but lately I've been toying with the idea of trading in my L0 for a pre-1960 J45.

i play a martin jumbo and 2 gibson jumbos, seated with a headstock strap- but the difference is i hold the guitar between my legs, classical style. A nickel plated brass body national resonator convinced me this is the best way to play, all that weight on top of the thigh was a no-go. The spine and shoulder are so much more aligned in classical position, and the headstock strap removes futher weight, allowing hand freedom. I also have the headstock at shoulder level.

I have tried to wear a strap in the manner that reverend davis played, but could not handle it.

Although a new position may seem foreign and awkward at first, you may be happier after breaking the old comfortable (uncomfortable?) routine.

Sitting down with a full-depth 17"er is something you have to grow accustomed to. The more you do it, the more comfortable (or at least tolerable) it will become.

No strap for me, as the strap (on any guitar) always slid down to my left elbow when playing sitting down.

One thing I notice, is that the L-7 arch I play feels a lot different than the flat-tops. It actually feels somewhat Strat-like, in that the whole of the shape seems to fit better than it's looks would indicate.

Sitting, LP's feel fine, but they want to escape. Constantly pulling it back in toward me.

I guess I really noticed it with the Country Club. The upper and lower bouts are a little out of balance...if that makes sense. If the upper bout were a little bigger it might be more stable. I don't want to have to put outriggers on it.

cc1.jpg

Body shape can really mess us up. My Victory bass loves to slip off my lap too, like the treble horn is too short.

12189848_1051962821511260_3551797815967099255_n.jpg?oh=efcf41c6be6e9c03f7349de555b5b40d&oe=56D4EA89

Granted, if I'm strapped in, all is good, but it's not something I do much.

i looked closer after this discussion and i noticed that the spot where the upper bout corner rests against my lower sternum remains the same when i stand up with it, but i much prefer sitting. I also tried again without the strap, and it just doesn't work for me.

BTW, this is the strap i use- i bought 4 of them but i found them 3 bucks cheaper than this listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levys-Guitar-Strap-MC8A-BLK-2-Cotton-w-3-8-Cotton-Webbing-Loop-End-Black-/141609948315?hash=item20f89c549b:g:u50AAOSwYHxWMrwx

I'm about 5' 6", 160lbs, so I'm NOT a big dude by any means.

I use a tall bar stool, with the legs cut down so the seat is about 30" of the floor.. (actually the size of a small bar stool) Why? cuz the spacing of the dowel that support the legs are further apart on a taller bar stool, this allows a better foot rest for me than the short stool where these dowels are closer together. Way more comfortable for me. Regardless of the guitar (and I have a number of 17 inchers.) I also almost always us a strap so I don't have to worry about holding anything when I'm playing seated.

that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

edit to add:

And I don't use any of those "seat belt" material straps. All Seuede, material, which grips your onto your shoulder so the strap doesn't float around on me.. I don't know how guys that use those straps manage.. I toss them in a junk draw when they come with any case candy..

Me too with the always strapped, standing or sat. It only works if the playing position is high. Too low and the strap slides off when sitting. I like the high position, with the nut above the eye line you have a more relaxed fretting hand but you can only see the edge of the fretboard. Depending on where your picking hand crosses the body you can overcome an over heavy neck/head and the high neck angle improves balance.

Archived