Gibson Brands Forums

Is this band ready to do bars and clubs?http://www.bandmix.com/wicked-red/

Homz

Guitar Slinger is critical of you improvising on All of My Love, but that's the thing about doing covers. People hear the differences and say "He's no Jimmy Page". But I say "Go for What You Know".

Enjoy it for what it is. IMO it needs a little work, but you have a good grasp on what you've got so far. The singer sounds a little tight throated and should relax a bit more, and fill the lungs more between lines. The more oxygen, the more relaxed the body. For the most part, you guys sound good, Homz.

If I can offer a bit of constructive criticism for the guitarist without offending, simplify the guitar part a little on All of My Love and concentrate on what truly fits in there (especially simplify while the singer is singing). I also hear times where your bending goes too sharp on a couple of those songs (quite often). Relax and let your ears tell you where the sweet spots are, and soon your muscle memory (fingers) will quickly adapt to when enough bend is enough.

I've been there, so I don't criticize out of arrogance, only from experience. I enjoyed what I heard. Thanks for sharing. :-

Dude' date=' even if ur not ready, who cares what a bunch of drunk guys who u wont ever see again think? Just go out there and tear **** up[/quote']

Yeah what do a bunch of drunks know. With that attitude I hope that Bar has chicken wire. They may be drunk but they ain't deaf. Don't You know the rule of the bar jungle. If you can't make pretty music to sooth The beast. Your going to be eaten. I guarantee Theres a hell alot more of them then you. Your songs almost there. Just pick up the tempo. It was draggggiiiinnnngggg.

As long as you stay in time, and have enough songs to get through the sets, you're ready.

I think what you wanted to ask, is "Are we good enough"?

In all honesty, as long as YOU think you're good enough, that's what matters. The polish comes with time and trial.

I think you all sound pretty good. The tone is there, you just need a little more enthusiasm and daring thrown into the mix.

Hmm...I don't know...maybe I clicked on the wrong link to hear the band and heard something else.

I'm sorry but IMHO I think a lot more work is in order. In spite of what Bigbends says...people don't want to hear improv on an established and known song (like All Of My Love)...I know it bugs the crap out of me, so I've always tried to copy the sound exactly...especially hit songs. The cover of Long Train Runnin' was another...I wasn't hearing the normal chord progressions that are played especially on the intro...and that third song on the list (can't remember the name) the acoustic guitar sounded out of tune.

I definitely wouldn't go play a bar...I've seen too many bad reactions to bands to know when they get drunk it can get ugly (fortunately never happened to the bands I was in). The best thing to do would be to play some get togethers and parties for free first. It's always good to play for others live...just practicing in a garage or warehouse doesn't allow for good input from others.

Hmm...I don't know...maybe I clicked on the wrong link to hear the band and heard something else.

I'm sorry but IMHO I think a lot more work is in order. In spite of what Bigbends says...people don't want to hear improv on an established and known song (like All Of My Love)...I know it bugs the crap out of me' date=' so I've always tried to copy the sound exactly...especially hit songs. The cover of Long Train Runnin' was another...I wasn't hearing the normal chord progressions that are played especially on the intro...and that third song on the list (can't remember the name) the acoustic guitar sounded out of tune.

I definitely wouldn't go play a bar...I've seen too many bad reactions to bands to know when they get drunk it can get ugly (fortunately never happened to the bands I was in). The best thing to do would be to play some get togethers and parties for free first. It's always good to play for others live...just practicing in a garage or warehouse doesn't allow for good input from others.[/quote']

I know it might not be what some people want, but we never try to reproduce a cover. Especially Led Zeppelin. I don't think you'll find two recordings of them doing it the same way twice. That being said I doubt we could even if we wanted to. On "Long Train Running" I recoded that on my old Ernie Ball electric. I had a bunch of problems keeping that POS in tune. Your probably correct about the tuning.

These recordings are about a year old and since we have added another guitarist. We do sound better, but we still don't try nor do we wish to play covers note for note. If I get some new recordings I'll post them.

Thanks for the advice. You all.

Archived