Gibson Brands Forums

Found a way to bond with my AJ

EuroAussie

So Ive had the Advanced Jumbo for some three years.

I originally bought it when i was starting my fingerpicking journey, and thought the responsive nature of the guitar, coupled with those rosewood chocolate overtones would make it a fingerpickign delight.

Except I found I didnt fingerpick so much with it, and instead prefered the Martin, LG-2 and the Bird for folky stuff.

Strumming wise I thought it was a bit too over the top with its loudness, projection and 80/20 strings.

So i wasnt sure what role this guitar had in my stable (always loved the burst though..) and had thoughts about giving it the chop and maybe buy a Furch cut away as I sold the SWD couple years ago.

Then when i started playing with a new partner in my band who also played guitar I thought I might make this guitar a gigging guitar for him, and installed a Fishman pickup in it.

But the other thing i also did is put PB light strings on her ..... and this is where the change came.

On the Martin J-40 PB's sound soon too dull and make the Martin sound sloppy and muddy, 80/20's are better to get the balance .... but on the AJ the PB's, especially once they are signficantly worn in start making this guitar really really shine.

My analysis of it now is that the AJ is naturally projective and powerful, in many ways too much, but the played in PB's give the guitar warmth a bit more like a J-45, but still are able to deliver clarity and projection, but in a more tamed, understated manner.

Suffice to say right now in the stable its become my go to guitar and the SJ has sort of being sitting neglected a bit.

But its amazing how such a string change can have on the quality of the tone and ones connection to the guitar. I love the tone and i love how easy it is to get a good tone from this guitar now, with the minimum of effort now .....rather than constantly trying to tame it.

I do remember a long time ago our old mate Jinder recommended well played in PB's for the AJ, now i understand.

Anyway, just wanted to share that story ..... curious if others who own AJ's also use PB's and how do you find it ?

btw: the PB's I use are the Pyramid 12's.

cheers,

EA

i have found similar results- phosphor bronze for rosewood and maple to tame the highs, 80/20 for the ones needing a bit more brightness, I have not found one brand to be one size fits all either.

One exception is my martin jumbo rosewood does sound better with 80/20 strings.

Glad your AJ is shining for you. Glad you kept it until now. I fingerpick almost all of the time, and usually I do it softly, so I don't have a volume problem with either of my AJs. If they're played hard they ARE kind of over-powering, even if just strummed with my fingers. The few times I'll use a pick (only two songs I use a pick with) I do find myself backing-off of how hard I play......Sweet guitars. Real monsters, but with a soft side.

Anyway, just wanted to share that story ..... curious if others who own AJ's also use PB's and how do you find it ?

I've used PBs on my AJ since day one. Loved the tone so I never looked back. I use the John Pearse bluegrass set...it seems to work for me. My AJ does duty at our church Folky Friday singalongs. Sometimes we get 10 instruments (guitars, banjos, saxaphones, and LOUD tamborines) and up to twenty singers so I need something that can project and cut through the clatter. My AJ is just the ticket...

I've used PBs on my AJ since day one. Loved the tone so I never looked back. I use the John Pearse bluegrass set...it seems to work for me. My AJ does duty at our church Folky Friday singalongs. Sometimes we get 10 instruments (guitars, banjos, saxaphones, and LOUD tamborines) and up to twenty singers so I need something that can project and cut through the clatter. My AJ is just the ticket...

Thats why its called the Banjo killer !

The Gibson Aj is one of the best Guitars Gibson Made.. and very underrated.. I see those all the time hanging in the Main Gibson music stores here.. Don't know why.. and there a lot cheaper than J45s or anything else Gibson has by comparison..

What strings do you use on it Keith ? What style of music do you mostly play ?

i only put EJ17 on it. i play blues and rock mostly.... but whatever strikes me.

I love to strum it hard and make it bark, but it is very responsive to fingers too. just a good all around guitar.

Keith

..... curious if others who own AJ's also use PB's and how do you find it ?

btw: the PB's I use are the Pyramid 12's.

cheers,

EA

I've been using PBs - EXP 16s and Elixir nano webs sound good to me and last a long time. I'm still happy with my 2006 AJ after 1.5 years, my J-50 has been neglected.

Archived