Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul Traditional

Mjf222

Good Morning! I recently purchased a 2016 Les Paul Traditional as a Christmas present for my son. The guitar is gorgeous!!! I included a pic of it!!! I brought to my trusted Luthier and he showed me 8 frets that were high..... Fortunately he performed a fret levelling and all is good. Has anyone else experience that many unlevel frets on a new LP? Just seems like something that would have been caught during the QC... Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

I haven't seen any new guitar yet, which did not needed a setup. I doubt they level the frets at the factory (at least, I don't know whether they do, or not).

But, on a new guitar, if there are any high spots, I would rather think some frets are lifted. High frets are a result of usage (in fact, there are no such as high frets - there are low, worn frets). I also assume the fretwire they use, is consistent in height.

Nice guitar! Enjoy it with good health.

Cheers... Bence

I would have thought Gibson would have still been using their expensive Plek machinesWhich would level all the frets and cut the nut at one time

Your luthier probably did a way better job than a Plek machine though

Nothing like skilled hands over a generic machine

Hope the frets aren't lifting as suggested.

Thank you for the timely response!

Lovely choice for your son for Christmas.

I bought a guitar for my son last November for Christmas 2014.

Since we don't live together, I was able to play it daily until I gave it to him.

In the end, I was motivated to get a guitar for myself and take lessons.

Go for it Dad.

I would have thought Gibson would have still been using their expensive Plek machines which would level all the frets and cut the nut at one time.

Hello!

Good observation.

I haven't heard about PLEK for a while now in Gibson's product descriptions. According to an older article, PLEK is applied to all Gibson USA models since 2014.

This makes me suspect even more, that the frets got lifted on that beautiful Traditional. It's not unlikely to happen, as the guitar might travel a lot from the factory to a dealer.

Cheers... Bence

congrats on the new axe!

regarding high frets,, yea... normal..

none of these manufactures will take the level of detail (plek or otherwise) required to do this 100% right.

if you like LOW action, the imperfections are going to show.

Every guitar I've bought, needs to have some sort of fret dressing done. It's something that you either deal with yourself, or take it somewhere.

if you're at all "Setup savy" it's easy to do it yourself with a minimal amount of tools and patience. you can PM me for more information if you are interested.

/Ray

Now that's a cool dad! Dang! :) Ice Tea? Gorgeous (one of my all-time favs).

Congrats to your son. As for the frets. Yes, Gibson uses their uber-expensive PLEK machine... BUT... that still hasn't stopped guitars from leaving Nashville needing fretwork. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately. Your luthier got you all set up, that's all that matters. Your son will have a very Merry Christmas!!! [thumbup]

Archived