Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 vs Hummingbird

jw3571

I know these are two completely different guitars, but i'm curious how the compare in the following categories. The SjJ200 i'm considering is a Rosewood Custom model.

1. Which has more bass

2. Which would be louder

3. Which would have more that classic Gibson thump.

I tend to like louder in your face guitars but am considering either of these options. I have a Gibson OJ 1934 reissue, so which would compliment it most?

Thanks

I know these are two completely different guitars, but i'm curious how the compare in the following categories. The SjJ200 i'm considering is a Rosewood Custom model.

1. Which has more bass

2. Which would be louder

3. Which would have more that classic Gibson thump.

I tend to like louder in your face guitars but am considering either of these options. I have a Gibson OJ 1934 reissue, so which would compliment it most?

Thanks

Have only played an SJ200 a bit at GC, very nice. But own a HB limited Rosewood, had to have it when I saw it...lots of bass, punch and volume with decent strings. LOVE IT!! Not much help, but had to reply. Think you would be happy either way.

Hate to say it... I don't think either are in your face. Well maybe the J200 rosewood is more so. My old circa late 90s J200 standard maple was more balanced and surprisingly not loud. My hummingbird... Again not loud. Bird sweet and warm. I much pRefer the Bird.

I think the AJs are the loud ones, as you know, since you have it. You want an in your face loud guitar that complements your OJ? I'm guessing Rosewood Martin Dread.

Hate to say it... I don't think either are in your face. Well maybe the J200 rosewood is more so.

Tend to agree - it's often surprising to realize how withheld many 200's are. And how much their bass-power can vary.

That said, I'm lucky to have 2 Birds here. They are born within the same month in the spring of 2012, sound similar, but one is significantly bigger/louder than the other.

It's remarkably obvious - almost like 2 shoe-sizes - and generates several thoughts :

Fx, what if I only had met one of them and happily generalized from that ex alone, , ,

or

what the heck is goin' on with those combinations of apparently identical wood components !?!

I'm sure the varied degrees of difference count for 200's etc. as well.

The no-same-model-alike myth is real and sometimes more pronounced than we imagine. All a part of the game.

Back to the Q - Birds and Super Jumbos will probably be pretty equal. Both elegant, non offensive un-raw acoustic guitars. Go check - then please report.

They have one thing in common ... arguably both are the worlds best two strummers.

I posted this a couple weeks back, comparing my guitars with fresh strings, same sequence.

The first two is a J-150 (which is a J-200 without neck and headstock binding) and the second is a Hummingbird True Vintage.

This might be a good audio guide rather than just descrptive.

Do you hear a differences ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcDl8cnCtE

More bass! More louder! Every guitar is a bit of a compromise, and it's interesting that those two qualities can often be mutually exclusive. Maybe you're looking for something that says "Marshall" on it.

Agree with the above that the guitars you are considering are better known for being great strummers, rather than stand-out bass and loudness.

Decide which is higher on your list; bass or loudness. A small bodied guitar, like a vintage L-00 can almost certainly be in-your-face-loud, but quieter, yet super clean bass. Try everything; there will be exceptions.

Sounds like you need a a RW AJ

I have a HB, J200RW, OJ RI and an AJ.

I agree that if you want to compliment your OJ look for something different like the HB or LOO

Reading the OP's post again it seems that power and volume is what he's after, which you will defiinitely NOT get from a Hummingbird, but it feels like an Advanced Jumbo the most ideal candidate

Although, I did once play a rosewood SJ-200 custom model and the tone was massive, so that might fill the brief also, and it looked amazing.

What style of music do you like to play on your guitar ?

I have both, a 2001 SJ200 with maple back and sides and a brand new HB Vintage. Not quite what the OP is comparing, but close. I have never played or heard a guitar with a bigger, deeper low E string sound than my SJ. Rest of the notes are big also, but decay pretty quickly because of the maple. But, when I first played my HB, I was surprised at the loudness and depth of the low E, almost as big as the SJ. In fact, I've had several regular HB's and a HBTV but none of them had the big sound my HB Vintage has. To me, getting into the AJ range sound-wise, but still keeping that mahogany sweetness of a HB. Like EA said, if the OP is looking for power and volume, of the two choices he listed, the SJ200 Rosewood would be the best choice.

Your OJ is a hog, right? . The 'Bird is another hog.

Complimentary, louder and more bass - out of the two choices you give, the J-200 - as you've mentioned, the rosewood J-200 Elite or Custom (the moniker depends on the year). The thump will be there.

Good luck with the hunt. . B)

Thanks for the responses. My OJ is a hog. I've had an AJ before and it was great but I found the bass a little lacking, I sold it when i upgraded to a Santa Cruz D/PW. The sound demo was great, thanks for posting that.

Your OJ is a hog, right? . The 'Bird is another hog.

Complimentary, louder and more bass - out of the two choices you give, the J-200 - as you've mentioned, the rosewood J-200 Elite or Custom (the moniker depends on the year). The thump will be there.

Good luck with the hunt. . B)

I have a 74 Bird that I just love. She sings. ( I know the 70 era birds do not get a lot of love here, but she is amazing)

I also have a 2015 sJ 200 Trans black in color that I have had about 2 months. She has is more quiet than you can imagine. I am going to be patient and hope she opens up over time.

Overall, two different guitars. But If I had to choose, it is hard for me not to choose a Bird.

To each his own.

Back to the Q - Birds and Super Jumbos will probably be pretty equal. Both elegant, non offensive un-raw acoustic guitars. Go check - then please report.

That said, it should be added that if you really burn for a Jumbo, then the new Bob Dylan signature (players edition) might be something.

And if you can't bear the thought of another AJ, lust for a square (and since maple and a little bling isn't an issue), might take great pleasure from a Firebird Custom.

I have never even had a hummingbird in my hands so take this recommendation for what it's worth as I may be a little biased on this one.

Using a car analogy, my SJ-200 Custom is like a true muscle car in comparison to every other guitar I have played. From the first chord I strummed and felt the vibrations through my chest is like the way a muscle car has that low rumble of tuned exhaust that hints at the power of what's in store when you press on the accelerator. I have a lead foot as well as a Led strumming hand and when I stomp on the gas of my Super J-200 the ride is nothing short of breathtaking as well as exhilarating!

Buy the SJ200 Custom and you will never look back unless you want to see the competition in your rear view mirror getting progressively smaller as you thunder along with your King of Flat Tops!

I need a cold shower after that!

Archived