Gibson Brands Forums

Recording

BluesKing777

I just recorded this track playing my Martin D18e Retro - my version of a Robert Johnson type tune. I also changed the lyrics to clean it up...I know, I know, but the others are awful.

So I played the guitar direct to my mixer and iMac using the Aura images on full 100% blend, and my vocal through a Neumann KM184.

Now the blurb from Martin and Fishman about the Aura image is interesting - they recorded a vintage 1939 Martin D18 using a vintage RCA77DX mic, then processed their files and loaded to the Aura.

Whatever it is, I love it!

Here is a demo of the system - I wouldn't normally record acoustic guitar like this - I would use a mic, but here goes:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/littlequeenofhearts3

Here is the RCA77DX mic - cool as!!! And as close as I will ever get to one....:

http://www.lloydmicrophoneclassics.com/93.html

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I think the recording level may be a bit low, so it needs to be turned up a fair bit to hear the sound I used better. It gets skinny though by the time it gets on Soundcloud, after hearing my original recording in full GigaJiggaBits.

I have bleated how I wish Gibson would do a J45 or a Hummingbird with the full Aura system like this Martin D, but I just found out it is an exclusive deal between Fishman and Martin...and that is that, they say. My J45 sounds great through the Aura pedal I have and the various J45 images I downloaded, but the Retro Martins have the vintage mic thing giving the sound a tube amp sort of growl and feel. I have a junky little tube preamp by Beringer I will try with the J45 set up! If it works, I will find a better gadget.

Probably makes no sense unless you have used it. [biggrin] but the idea is to have a guitar with a 'mic'd sound' ready to plug in a PA to avoid using a mic and the problems they can cause live.

Thanks again.

BluesKing777.

Thanks again!

Orange feathers and bows and thanks, so I guess it went ok? Never know really.... I guess my head got busy with the techie side of the recording and that's what came out of the performer side while a bit distracted by gear. Some of the blues players of that era would be very surprised at the equipment available for home recordings and gigging now!

Can I hijack my own thread?

I should have done a car type blues - the mechanic rang me yesterday to tell me the wrong parts had been sent to him and my car is still out of action until next week! So it has been 2 weeks tomorrow!!!! Lucky I work at home.

Do you want a photo version of the car story?

I was taking photos with my Nikon on the Sunday 2 weeks back and took the Hound with me to a beachside tourist area - he thought he was getting a nice walk around but I had emptied my pockets of coins for the parking meter and when I got the ticket it had given me 10 minutes!!!

So I took these quick shots and we went back to the cqr, with the dog making all sorts of complaints.......

DogBeach10_zpsj7uttvpk.jpg

DogBeach11_zpsownkv6bv.jpg

more to come....

Just such a bizarre and exclusive area to plonk a dog beach..........

DogBeach4_zpsdy3l1zcs.jpg

But the Hound found a girlfriend!!!!

DogBeach9_zpsdhsplbo4.jpg

And then when we went back to the car, it would NOT start for anything! Last time I drove it - tray truck home - dog and I in the truck!

BluesKing777.

I love your touch BK, always a pleasure to hear you do the blues. The Martin sounds great, quite vintage and almost small bodied tone, but i have a feeling your fingers and touch have a bit to do with that. [thumbup]

Thanks EA!

The guitar sounds great acoustically too - a rare combination of sounding good everywhere! I would have beat this thing to death if I had it 40 years, or so, ago. :mellow:

The difference between my guitars then and now of course would be finding the great local luthier/techie! Didn't know what it was even if there was one. Setup beautifully, for me, and I am really liking the neck with the 1 3/4" nut but mod low oval with performing artist taper! That's what they call it! It doesn't get wider as you play up the neck, a bit like a (fatter neck) Tele in a way....

It is great that you could even notice any of my 'touch' in my playing - pickup and electronics let it come through more than the pickups in the earlier days. My Fishman Rare Earth pickups get more 'acoustic' too - also very pleased with those!

Thanks again.

BluesKing777.

As in toy Lego blocks, you mean FMA?

Did I mention it is the firing squad if you leave a doggy message on that beach?

BluesKing777.

Yes, the toy blocks is what I meant. So, that's a real house. Wow. Sure it's not a Hollywood prop?

As to your second question, I'm not quite sure why you felt it necessary to mention leaving "a doggy message" to me of all people.

Obviously you have me confused with BBG. [wink]

Yes, the toy blocks is what I meant. So, that's a real house. Wow. Sure it's not a Hollywood prop?

As to your second question, I'm not quite sure why you felt it necessary to mention leaving "a doggy message" to me of all people.

Er , why me

Sorry, FMA, the doggy message wasn't for you, or anyone here, just foolish dog owners that don't pick up in front of all those security cameras and their rich, and sometimes complaining owners. It was a council decision - we are putting the fully fenced dog beach HERE, to the annoyance of the monster house owners. I think it may have been a nude beach at one stage..... Unbelievable really to put it right there in prime real estate , but the Hound likes the other little tootsies locked in with him. He was also a bit evil and ran away a lot when we first got him, so the fenced area is great, and another fencd dog area is about 50 miles South.

Anyways, the reason for my hijacking my own thread was that my car wouldn't go after taking the dog to that beach, roadside assistance were no help and the car had to go on a tray truck home. Next day, it started! So I took it to possibly the slowest mechanic I have ever met, recommended by the roadside assistance guy and I still DON'T have my car BACK and was pissed off 2 weeks ago so don't know what to call my mood now!!!

I used to have a 'spare' car - will have to get another....no more guitar buying for a while. [scared] [scared] [crying] [crying] [crying]

BluesKing777.

BK,

Yes it's a strange world we now live in where in order to walk your dog you must carry a plastic bag with you.

A friend once asked me to house sit for her, which I was happy to do until she told me I would also need to wash the dog's feet before allowing it back into the house after a widdle.

And I feel your pain about the car: took mine to have a flat tire fixed the other day. Came back with the alarm system broken.

As always, I enjoy your posts.

Archived