Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard Choice

MorrisrownSal

I'll start...

I dont think it matches well. Flubber has better coloring.

What material is the LM11 guard?

A lot depends on the historical period we're talking about. Some early banner J-45's had firestripe guards. Most teardrops prior to the pickguard design being changed in 1955 were "tortoise"-style, more similar in appearance to the flubber guard.

But I'm not a huge fan of the thick flubber guards on principle. I like thin, real celluloid guards with beveled edges like the one on my old J-45:

topcloseup.jpg

I'm guessing the new guard is semi-transparent, but with a tan protective paper sheet still attached. If so, it is impossible to tell from your pictures what this guard will look like placed on the burst with the paper removed. However, my guess is that it will look fantastic! I like this look.

Lars

If I took the original off I wouldn't put another one on, so neither.

rct

I agree. My J45TV came with the pickguard unattached in the case. No way would I mess up the top with the guard. For what it's worth, I play 99% with a pick but I've learned not to need a guard. I suppose it you were really heavy-handed and banged on the guitar, you may have to have the guard on it.

Wow - the firestripe is a beauty and for that particular reason would move the 45 elsewhere, , , in fact far elsewhere.

Let's not talk re-sell value, but only style and aesthetics. If you sense that vibe while playing and want to stick out, the flamboyant alternative is the way to.

But you have to feel it. . . . Simply because the stripes will be a part of a very personal trademark for your team (that means both of you).

You wouldn't want to start a brigade under the wrong banner, would you. You'ld double-love to play hockey in the right coloured outfit. That's the logic, , ,

apart from the fact that this is about something intriguingly deeper than logic.

In continuation of my orange feathers and green fire encouragement the other day, I'll have to say SHIFT !

Thanks guys.

I think I will wait on it. Lars probably is right...if the guard was resting on the tap sans tan paper, it would likely have a nicer effect that what I am seeing now.

I am not going to mess with it tomorrow; I have one of our long gigs tomorrow night... 9-1am. Way too late for this old man. Gonna nap in the afternoon, and take the J45 with me.

Cheers fellas.

Oj... this is the guard: http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/pickguard-material/tor-tis-pickguards/tor-tisj-45

I don't think there is anything wrong with the flubber guard. Nobody complained about the J 15 guard, some people swapped them out but not because it was robbing all of their tone. It seems like no one minds their flubber guard until someone points out it is flubber and tells them they shouldn't like it.

That firestripe guard is a beauty!! Nice find. It would really stun on an ebony top or dark and mysterious sunburst I feel. On this 45, my vote goes to keeping the original. I think the more subdued guard lets that immaculate sunburst top steal the show.

I wanted to keep my 45 bare with no guard, but there was a noticeable outline of the original guard that bugged me (no shadow / fade, but an actual hairline ridge in the nitro that the light would catch).

Lessee the new guard against the lighter part of the burst, behind the soundhole, where it would be. It jumps out against the darker part, but that's not where it would go, so it's tricky to guess the effect (esp if the tan paper is playing tricks, too).

I prefer the size of the original- more elegant, I think. May be an optical illusion, but the new guard looks bigger to me?

Archived