Gibson Brands Forums

ES-150 Neck Size and Shape 1972 Year Model

1976Transam

I am considering purchasing a 1972 year model ES-150 over the internet. Is anyone familiar with the shape, size, and width of the neck for that year model? Gibson necks change from time to time. When I was a kid, I had a really nice Gibson SG Special and the neck was slim and easy to play. I also looked at a 1960's model ES-175 at that time and the neck was just so big when compared to the SG Special. I love the way the ES-150 looks, but how playable is it for someone who has just normal size hands? Thanks for any help and advice!

I am considering purchasing a 1972 year model ES-150 over the internet. Is anyone familiar with the shape, size, and width of the neck for that year model? Gibson necks change from time to time. When I was a kid, I had a really nice Gibson SG Special and the neck was slim and easy to play. I also looked at a 1960's model ES-175 at that time and the neck was just so big when compared to the SG Special. I love the way the ES-150 looks, but how playable is it for someone who has just normal size hands? Thanks for any help and advice!

As far as I know all of the later issued double cut 150's had a very slim neck. There's been some controversy on the date of mine, but suffice it to say it's either a 68 or 70 and mine is very slim very much like some SG's I've played.

I had a 1969 ES-150D and the neck was narrow. It felt good for about 5 minutes and then I wished I was back on a normal Gibson neck. I had a '68 Dove that was the same way and have played others from that era with the same skinny neck. Yuck. Personal preference but....yuck.

Gary, if yours has the skinny neck it's probably not a 1970 because I think they went back to a normal, even slightly clubby neck by then. And Transam guy, a '72 will very likely have a normal neck, not skinny.

Archived