Gibson Brands Forums

In the wee small hours of the morning - Sinatra cover

flatbaroque

Had a go at the old Jazz standard from Frank Sinatra's album of the same name.I'm sure Jazz guitarist's don't need capos....but I learnt a Fred Sokolow arrangement in A and I sounded a bit too Tom Waits.Not all the chords were movable ...so capo it was.

Still don't sound like Sinatra though :P .On Martin OM-18V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHO-w6DDUKQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks fellers.Needed a break from trying to write some songs...or even a song.Nothing much coming together.

If anyone likes this sort of stuff I recommend Fred Sokolow's Jazz Standards for Beginners.(He probably should qualify that as "Beginner's to Jazz") It's in the Steffan Grossman Workshop series. He just teaches you how to play some old classics in a very straight forward manner. No theory needed.Good digital download for video and PDF's of chords / tabs.There is a free version of Summertime online to get an idea.

You'll learn some new chords (probably)but nothing difficult.And right hand doesn't have to do much.

Having a wee in the small hours of the morning?

Welcome to old age, FB.....

Kidding of course, well done. It sounded more like Tom than Frank, I thought.

An archtop in the future?

Lots of chords and changes there - you can have my old Real Book my grumpy old teacher told me I had to buy, (except I already had it).

BluesKing777.

Well done, FB! [thumbup] I love these old tunes, done by some of the best crooners the world has ever heard. I haven't picked up an instrument in a couple months it seems, but watching your rendition of this tune this morning stirred me to action. On the Collings concert.............. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8RkgO5bBQ

This chord work is simplified even more than yours, sir, but, as has always been for me, the instrument is accompaniment to the song.

Well done, FB! [thumbup] I love these old tunes, done by some of the best crooners the world has ever heard. I haven't picked up an instrument in a couple months it seems, but watching your rendition of this tune this morning stirred me to action. On the Collings concert.............. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8RkgO5bBQ

This chord work is simplified even more than yours, sir, but, as has always been for me, the instrument is accompaniment to the song.

Ah! Nice one Buc.Glad I flushed you out of the possum hole.That was cool.One of the reasons I bought a uke was to play more of these old standards. (After seeing you do it).

I think the next one I try (on guitar) will be Young At Heart.Could be a while though as it has about 20 chords and 10 are newish to me.Get your version ready !

Archived