Gibson Brands Forums

Another mass shooting - removed

ksdaddy

It was requested that the "Another Mass Shooting" thread be taken down. There are no winners or losers, nobody crossed the line (much), nobody was abusive, nobody got banned or even got warned.... it did show that there CAN be discourse on this forum and I think everyone involved did well to not get their hands too dirty. I think you all know what I mean.

It was requested, though, that this thread go away. I will respect the request.

It was requested that the "Another Mass Shooting" thread be taken down. There are no winners or losers, nobody crossed the line (much), nobody was abusive, nobody got banned or even got warned.... it did show that there CAN be discourse on this forum and I think everyone involved did well to not get their hands too dirty. I think you all know what I mean.

It was requested, though, that this thread go away. I will respect the request.

It had a good run!

I'm proud of ourselves.

It's always been a good place, this, but I think it's still showing we've come a long way.

Might add, that if we can discuss such a subject and actually respect and listen to each other, then perhaps the professional discussers who make the rules might be able to do the same.

I don't know what else needs to be discussed. We can all talk in circles 'til we're blue in the face. After Sandy Hook Elementary, there should have been a cultural shift in this country. The fact that not much changed, following that morning nearly three years ago, tells me we're incapable as a nation to do what needs to be done. So....

We could just create a "Mass Shooting" thread that activates automatically each time a mass shooting occurs in the United States. That way, we can save someone the trouble of creating news threads.... one after the other after the other...

It ain't my thread, but I was kinda hoping, if anything, it might turn into a "pat on the back" thread de-rail.

I know for a fact, KSDADDY posted this thread out of courtesy to us as to why the other thread was removed.

I can say for sure, it wasn't KSDADDY's intention to re-open the subject.

On one of the morning tv opinion shows, Bono noted that music is itself a cultural expression favoring freedom in general and freedom of expression in particular.

Although I'm not a Bono fan at all, I think that in general a good point was made, although I'd personally question his idea that U.S. concepts of freedom came from France rather than England. Then again, I'm not Irish and take a long-term look at U.S. and English history given my own family background here back to the 1600s.

I do believe, however, that music is a far greater factor in culture than some folks might recognize, and that the degree a culture accepts guitar playing as we here know it, from classical to experimental rock, is an even better measure of cultural commonality.

m

Rev....

Thanks...

I just finished doing a Photoshop favor for a friend - adding children and grandchildren to a photo of a very, very elderly lady.

Now... some work stuff although technically I'm not at work. <grin>

As for the Bono interview, it was on the CNN Sunday morning show Fareed Zakaria GPS.

By the way, given where I live, here's another interesting bit of info on guitar culture and immigrants.

Many people know about CF Martin being a German immigrant. The Martin guitar site covers that quite well.

But a few other bits on German immigrants in America:

German remains the most spoken language in some 16 U.S. states following English and Spanish.

In 1900, there were some 613 German language newspapers... but... even in North and South Dakota where there were huge numbers of German-speaking immigrants, during WWI, virtually all closed. Ditto German-type celebrations such as Schuetzenfest, etc., as dropped in areas of heavy German immigration, again as I'd note, on the Northern plains. I could note also a number of anti-German activities during both WWI and WWII in the Northern Plains area, often apparently led by other German immigrants.

Currently about 1.4 million Americans might be listed as German-speakers - far down from roughly 2.8 million in 1910 and lessened rapidly after WWI, if not also WWII.

Arabic speakers in the US currently are roughly 865,000; up roughly 33,000 in 1910 and increasingly almost exponentially since 1960.

By the way, my own state is rather unique in having a small number of Lebanese immigrants, but they've included at least two U.S. Senators whose family names had been anglicized (one a conservative Republican, one a quite "liberal" Democrat), a football entrepreneur Joe Robbie etc.

There are many other interesting figures on languages spoken in the U.S., those increasing in numbers and those in decline. Google it to seen.

I would note that the Northern Plains has had a number of Lebanese immigrants, but most worked to acculturate.

m

Dennis...

Seriously, I think it's a matter of how one's personal perceptions and perspective are involved in reading a "headline."

That's why in my 50 years of writing for publications, the headlines have been more carefully crafted and often debated that the reportage or editorial itself.

On this one, for example, I'd more likely have written something rather different, referencing "terror attack" rather than "mass shooting."

Then again, I think it has to do more with one's personal perceptions - and then how one wishes one's "story" to be perceived from the perspective of the headline itself.

For guitar examples...

There are a number of "headlines" to start a thread here on many sorts of topics that might bring very different responses, so I'm not talking about "politically or culturally sensitive" topics.

Consider topics on pickguards on LPs, archtops and semi-hollows: "Made my 335 shine (by removing pickguard)" or "Removed clumsy pickguard" or "free your picking hand from pickguard chains" or "use the pickguard on a 335 for much more precise picking"

Or more to the point, "Got rid of ugly Grovers." or "Only real bone for nut" or "New Gibson bridge buzzes."

m

Archived